Quantcast

Riding in Maine

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I spent last week in Maine at the family camp on the lake. It was mostly a family/relaxing type of trip, but the bike came along, and I got in three decent rides.

Ride #1: Red Tail Trail - North Conway NH.

The trailhead:

This sign should have been a good indicator for the suffering I endured climbing back up to the top later in the day:

There's about a mile of gradual climbing, with lots of roots on double track. Then you turn onto the Cranmore connector:

You've reached the start of best trail section when you see this sign. An awesome downhill with great views:

A trailside enhancement:

One of the views:

Some berms on the way down enhance the flow:

After the long downhill, you pop out of the woods at a big water tank. A short stint on the pavement and you are at the base of Cranmore:

Several miles of climbing pain. This is one of the times where the digicam does not capture the incline. This was a long, tough climb, and something I'm used to. We usually ride tech trails with the short, steep, quick hills - not a long grinder. :dead:

Finally at the top!

The last mile of the ride was also the same as the first. Just before getting back there, the singletrack was "rock track". All the topsoil was worn away. Really fast.

Ride #2. A short, easy recovery ride - Hawk Mountain. The ride started in Waterford. Around 1 1/2 miles on paved road, then a one mile slightly washed out doubletrack. Pretty easy effort for nice views. The "trail" was all like this:

At the top. Looking back towards Harrison:

Bear Pond:

Looking down:

Shawnee Peak - home of the DH mtb snow race

Here's why it's the Pine Tree state:

Ride #3 - Shell Pond. This area is part White Mountain National Forest, part failed resort. Evergreen Valley was supposed to bring prosperity to this area, but turned out to do the opposite. The ride starts here, with a 2 mile climb up a dirt road.

Some of the stuff they built but basically never used:

The start of the good stuff:

It's pretty rough, primitive singletrack, but a lot of fun:

A View near the bottom of the descent - Shell Pond:

An old airstrip:

The old Stonehouse:

Back on the singletrack along the Cold River:

The river crossing:

More good stuff on the other side:

On the way back yo the car you pass Deer Meadow bog. Lots of wildlife, and moose sightings are fairly common:

:)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Awesome report Steve!!! Wish I was into mt. biking when I lived there, that stuff looks fun!! Kell and I are bringing the road bikes when we head up for labor day weekend. :)

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
McGRP01 said:
Awesome report Steve!!! Wish I was into mt. biking when I lived there, that stuff looks fun!! Kell and I are bringing the road bikes when we head up for labor day weekend. :)
If you want to ride trails when you're up, I've got extra mtn bikes.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Awesome pics man!

I'll be in Maine this weekend, sadly I'll be at a lame-o wedding.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Rockland said:
If you want to ride trails when you're up, I've got extra mtn bikes.
Thanks, but I doubt we'll be able to get away from the Brunswick area at all. I'm hoping my sister will watch our kids for a couple hours so we can at least get a short ride in at some point.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
frznnomad said:
nice report man, but what you doing climbing up when you got a ski lift to do it all for you lol.
If the lifts at Cranmore were running, I would have gladly paid for a lift ticket. :dead:

Next time..............I'm shutttling this ride. You can drive up the paved Hurricane Mtn road to a trailhead up top. Then it's only around a mile of gradual uphill rooty doubletrack to the good stuff. Multiple shuttle runs on Red Tail would be sweet. :cool:

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
berkshire_rider said:
If the lifts at Cranmore were running, I would have gladly paid for a lift ticket. :dead:

Next time..............I'm shutttling this ride. You can drive up the paved Hurricane Mtn road to a trailhead up top. Then it's only around a mile of gradual uphill rooty doubletrack to the good stuff. Multiple shuttle runs on Red Tail would be sweet. :cool:
Awesome write-up!

Have you ever ridden "The 9 Levels of Hell?"

I think you should get a report of that trail!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
wow i had no idea that they closed the lifts this early. still awsome pics man and its kinda nice to see some guys that climb the mountain. i just need to get a trail bike so that i can lol.:rofl:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Actually this trail was near Cranmore, but not technically at the ski mountain. I don't think they run the lifts at Cranmore all in the summer? :confused: However, up the road at Attitash, they are still running.

Personally, I wouldn't reccomend climbing up the ski slopes there no matter what the bike weighs. :rofl: