Quantcast

Riding in Mexico?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone ever been? I'm thinking of a trip in October/November. I'd rather avoid Baja.

I was thinking of Oaxaca. I've seen a few write-ups on pinkbike et al on the enduro race they run there for the dia de los muertos, and it looks like there's potential... thoughts?

any other tips/recommendations are welcome..

edited to add: looking for singletrack/technical riding. everything I've found on (my admittedly not exhaustive) google searching brings up lots of logging road-type rides. that's not really what we're looking for.

Last edited:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
My sister lived in Oaxaca for a school year. She loved it and said it was a safe town. She wouldnt know about mountain biking but ill ask her when she gets back. Ive heard from people there is a lot of mountain biking in mexico its finding it thats the problem. Try calling a local bike store maybe.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Anyone ever been? I'm thinking of a trip in October/November. I'd rather avoid Baja.

I was thinking of Oaxaca. I've seen a few write-ups on pinkbike et al on the enduro race they run there for the dia de los muertos, and it looks like there's potential... thoughts?

any other tips/recommendations are welcome..

edited to add: looking for singletrack/technical riding. everything I've found on (my admittedly not exhaustive) google searching brings up lots of logging road-type rides. that's not really what we're looking for.
I did the "pipeline" route from some mountains outside of Oaxaca a few years back, as recommended by the local bike shop where I rented a bike.

I'd have to look at a map, but basically took a chicken bus up to some kind of biological preserve with the missus (and a rental bike) did some short hikes around there and then took a combination of rural roads and some pretty decent singletrack back to Oaxaca.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I did Copper Canyon many years ago with a small tour operator out of El Paso. I believe his name is Rey Molina. He knew where the singletrack was, and got us off the track of the bigger REI, Western Spirit, etc. tours. Would love to go back, and Sayulita is on my list once I've got more time to travel.