Quantcast

Riding in NC? XC and AM?

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
Hi, I just moved back to the Fayetteville area in NC. I know of a couple of local riding spots nearby and a few others like Governor's creek in Sanford and the trails in the Uwharrie but I'd like to find more. Let's face it, the coastal plains gets pretty flat and sandy so I know travel will be involved...

Ideally I'd like to find something that's a little more AM than XC if possible but not going to dismiss a good trail that isn't AM. Also interested in Super D spots. No not claiming to be a great rider with over the top skills, but I like a challenging trail.

I just retired from Active Duty Air Force and The last three plus years I had some great riding opportunities while I was away. I was stationed in Korea at Kunsan AB for a year (Mar 2006-Mar 2007) and found some of the best riding! Then the last 2+ years I was living in Ga and there was some great riding there too. My favorite trail there was Dausett trails in Jackson, Ga. Also, got an intro to DH at Carter's Lake once and Slalom a few times in Griffin, Ga.

The last several years I've raced a lot of BMX but I'd like to do a little more MTB these days. So thanks in advance for any info and I hope to meet you at the trail head for a ride and some good suds after :cheers:

Also, If you live near Fayetteville, NC and are interested in ride sharing to get to the trail heads let me know, either post up or send me a PM.

Happy trails!

Al

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
There are some really basic (but really fun) trails in Greenville called The Bicycle Post trails. I also hear there is some fun stuff in Wilmington. You may want to check out the NC section of MTBR - there are some fellow Coastal Plains riders that post on there occasionally.

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
also check out dark mountain in wilkesboro, not sure how long of a drive it would be for you but you could certainly get a full day of riding in. The XC trails there are very flowy and fun and there is also a very modest downhill trail. Also they have used the location for some super d events.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Just googled Fayetteville. had no idea it was that far away. man we live in a big state. I'm blessed to be born in them thar hills instead of them thar plains. Granted...if I lived in them thar plains, I'd just have a throttle!

Al-F

Chimp
Dec 15, 2007
Hope Mills, NC
I hear that on the throttle but I like cranks. I have ridden bikes all my life so even after ending up here I can't just give it up.

Not sure if/when I'l fit a DH rig into my bike collection but sooner or later I'm going to hae to get a secret storage shed on the other side of town and hide some of the bikes from the wife. so far 1 5in trail bike 3 BMX race bikes, a CX in the works, need a 26in Dirt Jumper and maybe a DH rig next...oh and a hardtail XC bike.

I guess you sort of adapt and try to seek out what's inside yor heart.

atvwdsrcer

Chimp
Sep 29, 2009
Hudson NC
It's a bit of a drive for you but Wilson Creek area is worth it if you know where to go. I'd be happy to show you around sometime. Old fort is usually a good time also.

hotrodmarlin

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Hey man- thanks for your service. You're only about an hour from Greensboro where there are a bunch of public CC trails. There's also some good freeride stuff hidden around the area. PM me and I'll help you out on some local ninja hotspots:thumb: check out the dh section of biketriad.com a lot of times we'll post upcoming rides. I don't know much about Raleigh area but it looks like the guys are doing some cool stuff at crabtree. For Wilmington check out sirbikesalot they have some cool trails down there.