Quantcast

Riding in SLO

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I'm interested in going to Cal Poly for college, and I was wondering what kind of riding there is around SLO? I'm mostly a DH rider and I race a lot so any race style runs would be ideal.

Also how is SLO for biking in-town? Is it easy to get around without a car? I like riding my bike so this is a must.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
SLO is sick from what I've seen. I road with a guy from CAl Poly and he bragged about doing DH runs that ended at his class room. No joke. There are some super tecky and scetch trails up there. If I had college to do over I'd go to Cal Poly or find the closest school to Whistler. The surf is also really really really good in SLO (if that matters to you).

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
In town biking is super easy and very bike friendly. Not very far to anything.

The trails are gnarly though. I wouldn't really call them "race runs" but most DH race courses will look tame after spending some significant time on the SLO trails.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
SLO is a fun place. Its small enough where you can easily ride across town in less than half a day. Lots of fun urban biking. My friend and I have found a bunch of spots there. Cal Poly as well as SLO highscool have lots of stuff for urban riding.

There is gnarly DHing, lots of XC trails, almost everything, except wooden stunts and chairlifts.

Morro bay is also fun. Its 12mi west. Really good surfing, sailing, fishing, etc. Good biking there too.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
ncrider said:
I rode with a guy from CAl Poly and he bragged about doing DH runs that ended at his class room. No joke.
He actually said that they would do runs in-between class :p

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Sweet stuff... so is it similar to Santa Cruz in quantity/quality of trails? I guess the trails are a little gnarlier than our loamy singletrack, I might have to actually buy DH tires.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
There's lots of rocks from SLO going south. DH tires wouldn't be a bad idea. SB has good trails and its only about an hour and a half South. Maybe you can do some of the Fontana races south of LA.