Quantcast

Riding in Sydney

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just found out that I'm going to be spending the summer working at the University of New South Wales. I'll be there from the end of may through the end of August. Super excited. Anyone have experience with the riding opportunities around there?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
My friend who is Bushrider here on Ridemonkey is from Sydney. Try to contact him and I am sure he can recommend friends you can contact too as he currently lives here in NYC.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I just found out that I'm going to be spending the summer working at the University of New South Wales. I'll be there from the end of may through the end of August.
Booooo hissssss! We had just finished planning lots of Shindagin rock hauling projects for you.

I've heard that place is no fun anyway. Don't get bit by a snake.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i'm trying to find the pictures from Matty. pure epic.
I never saw those, except on his camera. Do want. I'm pretty sure you took that one of me, and while it's not the best framed shot by a mile, it's still pretty quality.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Booooo hissssss! We had just finished planning lots of Shindagin rock hauling projects for you.

I've heard that place is no fun anyway. Don't get bit by a snake.
I might be in Ithaca for a week or two and the beginning and or end of summer. Not sure yet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I never saw those, except on his camera. Do want. I'm pretty sure you took that one of me, and while it's not the best framed shot by a mile, it's still pretty quality.
I saw it, but don't think I saved it.

i don't recall taking a photo of you? did i? it must not have been on my camera if it was.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I saw it, but don't think I saved it.

i don't recall taking a photo of you? did i? it must not have been on my camera if it was.
Yeah, it was on mine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was you. Someone took that shot of me with my camera, I know that for sure.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
May-August will be winter.

I'm on the west coast, and thus of no real help. But if you decide to ride across the continent definitely let me know.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think farkin.net (apparently now rotorburn.com) is the place to go. Prepare yourself for sticker shock too.
You mean sticker shock if I buy a bike? I'd kind of gathered that, that's why I was thinking bringing something over from the States and then selling it when I'm leaving might be a winner.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Yep Rotorburn is the Oz equivalent of the Monkey.

http://nobmob.com/ probably has the best list of trails around the sydney region.

What kind of riding do you want to do? I live about 30mins from UNSW so if you want to ask any questions fire away and I'll see what I can do.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
You mean sticker shock if I buy a bike? I'd kind of gathered that, that's why I was thinking bringing something over from the States and then selling it when I'm leaving might be a winner.
Everything, A$ and US$ were at parity recently for the first time in a generation. You'll notice it, everyone does nowadays.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yep Rotorburn is the Oz equivalent of the Monkey.

http://nobmob.com/ probably has the best list of trails around the sydney region.

What kind of riding do you want to do? I live about 30mins from UNSW so if you want to ask any questions fire away and I'll see what I can do.
Cool. I do pretty much everything, though I've been moving towards more and more DH of late. I'm sure I'll have stuff to ask, I'll fire something off in the morning when I'm not so tired. Thanks.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Cool.

I might even get inspired to get off my butt and do some investigating. Haven't ridden in far too long.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool.

I might even get inspired to get off my butt and do some investigating. Haven't ridden in far too long.
That would be awesome. I'd also love to hear any thoughts you've got for stuff to do in Sydney. Places to eat/ drink/ go/ avoid, whatever, I'm all ears.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I recently spoke with a guy from Australia. He seemed a bit odd. Based on my conversations with him I am going to say you should avoid going to Australia. If you don't drink enough beer poisonous spiders will attack you and you will die. So based on a weird guy from Australias word I would go out on a limb and cancel your plans and stay in America where everything is safe and good. There are no poisonous spiders at the Outback near the mall....

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
That would be awesome. I'd also love to hear any thoughts you've got for stuff to do in Sydney. Places to eat/ drink/ go/ avoid, whatever, I'm all ears.
Well you're American so you'll live in Coogee and spend all your time at the Beach Palace Hotel. Don't try and fight it.

But seriously if you'd like to list the kind of things you like doing, eating and drinking (apart from all our womenz) I'll see what I can come up with.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But seriously if you'd like to list the kind of things you like doing, eating and drinking (apart from all our womenz) I'll see what I can come up with.
Well, I'm a pretty normal single guy in my early 20's. I like riding bikes, drinking (places with a good beer selection would be great), live music, etc. Somewhat less interested in dancing/ clubs. I'm pretty open to suggestions for whatever you think the most fun things to do in Sydney are though, I'll try about anything at least once. Thanks a ton.

Last edited:

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Well, I'm a pretty normal single guy in my early 20's. I like riding bikes, drinking (places with a good beer selection would be great), live music, etc. Somewhat less interested in dancing/ clubs. I'm pretty open to suggestions for whatever you think the most fun things to do in Sydney are though, I'll try about anything at least once. Thanks a ton.
No worries I'll have a think and come up with a few things that I think are good to do.

Saw your rotorburn thread too so hopefully others will chime in.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Ok Sorry, got sidetracked.

I would recommend the following experiences.

-go to a beachside pub on a sunday arvo. Recomended suburbs to try would be coogee, bondi and if you ever get up far enough try the Newport Arms Hotel in the northern beaches of Sydney. Northies down in Cronulla would give you a slightly more working class experience.
-do a harbour cruise. Since you are on campus you should be able to sort one out easily enough and they are well worth it. Laybacks are compulsory as you pass under the bridge.
-go to The rocks (area under the southern end of the Harbour Bridge) and check out some of the old pubs there. Awesome. If you are a fan of micro breweries then check out the Lord Nelson and also the Australian.
The rocks also contains the Belgian Beer Cafe and the Lowenbrau.
Cockle Bay Wharf and King Street wharf at Darling Harbour have a plethora of bars, cafes, pubs and clubs, I'm sure you can find something to your tastes there. Theres another small brew pub type place called James Squires that do pretty good food and beer tastings.

Since you are likely to be in the eastern suburbs (thats where UNSW is) I'd also reccomend The Spot- a cute little conglomeration of thai resteraunts and cafes with a nice art deco movie theatre.

If anything else pops into my head I'll post. I'm pretty sure your 2G Iphone will work here, just grab a pre paid sim and you should be good to go.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Ok Sorry, got sidetracked.

I would recommend the following experiences.

-go to a beachside pub on a sunday arvo. Recomended suburbs to try would be coogee, bondi and if you ever get up far enough try the Newport Arms Hotel in the northern beaches of Sydney. Northies down in Cronulla would give you a slightly more working class experience.
-do a harbour cruise. Since you are on campus you should be able to sort one out easily enough and they are well worth it. Laybacks are compulsory as you pass under the bridge.
-go to The rocks (area under the southern end of the Harbour Bridge) and check out some of the old pubs there. Awesome. If you are a fan of micro breweries then check out the Lord Nelson and also the Australian.
The rocks also contains the Belgian Beer Cafe and the Lowenbrau.
Cockle Bay Wharf and King Street wharf at Darling Harbour have a plethora of bars, cafes, pubs and clubs, I'm sure you can find something to your tastes there. Theres another small brew pub type place called James Squires that do pretty good food and beer tastings.

Since you are likely to be in the eastern suburbs (thats where UNSW is) I'd also reccomend The Spot- a cute little conglomeration of thai resteraunts and cafes with a nice art deco movie theatre.

If anything else pops into my head I'll post. I'm pretty sure your 2G Iphone will work here, just grab a pre paid sim and you should be good to go.
Brilliant. Thanks a ton.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've read a few places that Australian women are the most sexually active/have the most partners....so that's a plus.

On a more boring, bicycle related, note, Australia seems like one of those places that would be awesome to visit/ride and I am super jealous. If you are going for the summer, I definitely think it would benefit you to bring your own bike(s).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Been here for a few weeks. Having a blast so far. Any Sydney monkeys want to meet up for a ride/ pint/ both?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well you're American so you'll live in Coogee and spend all your time at the Beach Palace Hotel. Don't try and fight it.
:rofl:

I do live in Coogee. Only been to the Beach Palace once, meh. Been to Lord Nelson's a few times which is way more my speed. Favorite bar so far is The Local in Darlinghurst though. Had some... interesting times at The Flinders as well.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I do live in Coogee. Only been to the Beach Palace once, meh. Been to Lord Nelson's a few times which is way more my speed. Favorite bar so far is The Local in Darlinghurst though. Had some... interesting times at The Flinders as well.
Good choices, especially the Local, lots of good beers.

I'll have to catch up at some point.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sweet. I'm here until mid-August.

I'll PM you my mobile. Sounds like beers at The Local should happen at some point. :cheers:

Nerf Herder

Chimp
Mar 26, 2010
Let me know ... ride or drink ... I'm easy ... I'll be the one in the leather hockey mask and short shorts