Quantcast

Riding in the heat...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
Now that Tucson is at it's blistering pinnacle of summer, I'm rapidly losing miles due to the fact it's frickin' HOT! I love to ride to work and the ride in is fine, but the ride home is usually in triple-digits. By the time I get home, I'm as red as a tomato and exhausted... and it's only 10 miles!

So I know I'm a weenie, :D but the heat really sucks the energy right out of me. Anyone have any suggestions (other than staying plenty hydrated) about riding in really hot weather?

What do you all do?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Hell if I know. I visited some relatives in FL a year ago and borrowed a bike. I was just riding at a relaxed tempo and was still boiling.
Definitely keep an eye out for anybody washing their car or watering plants. Insist that they drench you as you're passing by. Other than that, don't push harder than your comfort levels will allow.
If it wasn't illegal (it's only illegal if you get caught) I would recommend riding naked.:)

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Make sure you have 2 water bottles, one with your electrolyte replacement and the other with cold water.
Periodically squirt the cold water through the vents in your helmet. This will not only help you cool off, but it will effectively lower your hear rate, allowing you to ride longer with less overall fatigue. Refill at a convenience store as necessary.

Last year I did the Wildflower long course triathlon... almost 70 miles of hills (yes, even the swim was uphill). It was 102 degrees when I finished the 56-mile bike portion and began the run. Keeping your head cool and by extension your heart rate low (under 75% of your max effort --unless you're racing) is the key to sustained effort.

Hope this helps :)

-sunny

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When it gets hot I head for the mountains, several degrees cooler for every thousand feet of elevation.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I excel in heat and love to do rides in 100 degree weather. It seems to focus me better. That said, I drink A LOT of water and of course, an electrolyte drink. I try to also find places to soak my jersey in cold water along the way (lake, stream, faucet...). Your body needs to be able to cool itself off, so what you wear is important. If your skin is soaked and your jersey or undershirt doesn't wick, then your body can't sweat anything else out.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Two suggestions. First, I met a guy from UT and he said that when things got hot he bought a light and began to ride in the evening. He said his routine trails were new and different alight with his head lamp and bike mounted light. The evening temp was radically different from the day temp. Second, I use a camel back and when it gets warm I slide a big old slab of ice in. It cools my back and gives me cold water which lowers my core temp.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I like the idea of using the cambelbak with ice for water, and one bottle of electrolite-based liquid... and another bottle to drench the head with! I'll just have to put up with the snobby roadies scoffing at the camelbak!

On the longer rides, I usually get up early (5:30am) and hit the road before it gets too hot. I'm mainly talking about the commute from work at 5pm... when it's still uber-hot.

I remember riding home one day thinking "ah.. when I turn this corner and head North, I'll have a nice headwind breeze..." Yeah. When I turned the corner, it felt like someone had a hairdryer centered on my face.

:)

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
G-Cracker said:
Yeah. When I turned the corner, it felt like someone had a hairdryer centered on my face. :)
that tottally happened to me the other day on a downhill

if you can fand an alternate rout it may help I have found that
less busy roads are not as bad (I think it has something to do with the exhost from cars)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Start your ride at 5:30am. You won't need much more than two blinker lights, and by the time you are done, it will be 8-9am.

Otherwise, just be prepared to suffer. I have ridden in the NorCal heat and the New Orleans humidity, and the only way to beat the heat is to avoid the 10am-4pm heatwave.

dok9874

Chimp
Nov 10, 2004
Houston, Texas
I concur with the one water bottle with ice water and occasionally squirt yourself with it. For my electrolyte mix - I just take a few packets of salt that you get at fast food restaurants and add it to my gatorade mix. On a particularly hot day a few weekends ago (south Texas), I loosely tied a bandana around my neck after soaking it with the ice water. It made a huge difference, and every now and then I refreshed it with more ice water.

If you pass by convenience stores along your cycling route, most won't mind if you fill up your bottles with some ice, at least around here anyway. I take advantage of that as much as possible.

Initial hydration is the key, along with wearing the proper wicking jersey. Being female, I'll wear a racerback with cut-out shoulders or a cropped running top. Also, don't be afraid to take frequent breaks to let your core temperature cool a bit if you feel you're getting overheated.