Quantcast

riding in the rain?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
How many will still go out if it is raining??? I am talking moderate to light rain...That's all it seems to do here latley...My buddy already called me about tomorrow night and making sure I don't puss out...We were out tuesday and got lucky with just a couple sprinkles.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If it's a warm rain, I'll go out as long as it's not hurting the trails. If the trails are messy or it's a cold/spitting rain, I'll stay in.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Back in St. Louis, a couple of my favorite trails ran along a river that would flood every year, so I had no problem riding those in the rain. Any damage done would be eradicated the next time the river rose. Also, any damage done would be minuscule compared to the postholing done by the equestrians that rode there.

Here in Denver, I don't ride in the rain.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Here in norcal I make a point to definitely go out and ride if it's raining. That's not very often though.

I plan to ride in the rain a bunch once I get back to MA. I'll have to if I want to keep riding 4 - 6 days per week.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Riding trails in the rain is a good way to destroy the trails.

Most people wimp because of getting wet, but it is another consideration.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
justsomeguy said:
Sweet generalization!
Funny how some stereotypes are true...

P.S. Ever ride in Connecticut before? 90% soft dirt at Case, Tyler Mill, West Hartford Res, Gay City...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
case mountain would get absolutely destroyed by people riding it when it was too wet.

but being out here is a different story. like dfinn says... when it rains out here you make a point of going out to ride your bike.
keeps the dust down.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Depends on how much rain and what soils the trail covers.
There are a couple trails that drain well and are OK to ride the in the rain.

There are other trails that turn into brown gorilla snot that clumps everywhere. No fun.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
justsomeguy said:
...and it's funny how sweeping generalizations like yours don't apply to many mountain biking.
OK, where in Connecticut do you recommend to ride while it is raining?

Obviously there are places where you could ride in the rain, or no one in the Pacific Northwest would ever ride. But riding in places with poor drainage, soft loose dirt, or poorly built trails is a guarantee way to leave huge ruts and bogs.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
sanjuro said:
OK, where in Connecticut do you recommend to ride while it is raining?
I wouldn't make a recommendation as I haven't ridden there. Just like I wouldn't tell folks that riding in the rain is a good way to destroy trails when I know that there are many areas where riding in the rain doesn't destroy trails.

sanjuro said:
Obviously there are places where you could ride in the rain, or no one in the Pacific Northwest would ever ride.
Wait, how does that jive with your sweet generalization?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
if it starts raining and I’m on the trail i just finish up with the section i'm on, what can you do?
i dont ride wet trails to start.
i dont normally 'start' any type of ride in the rain
if i'm rhode rhiding and it starts raining no biggie i usually just keep going. just depends on the severity.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i coomute usually in the foul weather unless its a monsoon...

a good jacket and pants (waterproof/breathable) are key!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
justsomeguy said:
I wouldn't make a recommendation as I haven't ridden there. Just like I wouldn't tell folks that riding in the rain is a good way to destroy trails when I know that there are many areas where riding in the rain doesn't destroy trails.
I lived in Connecticut, near where the original poster lives, and I rode all the major trail systems he might use within a 30 mile radius of his home.

Would it be ok for me to discuss trail conditions specifically about Central/Eastern Connecticut?

justsomeguy said:
Wait, how does that jive with your sweet generalization?
I apologize for not including this asterisk point:

* For those readers who only understand literal meanings or lack common sense, please do not apply my comments or anything else you might read on the internet to every instance of your life.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Sanjuro even gets mad if the president rides paved roads in the rain... no use arguing here.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
sanjuro said:
I apologize for not including this asterisk point:

* For those readers who only understand literal meanings or lack common sense, please do not apply my comments or anything else you might read on the internet to every instance of your life.
It has nothing to do with common sense and everything to do with you posting a sweet generalization.

Once again, sweet generalization! It made me laugh.

Riding trails in the rain is a good way to destroy the trails.

Maybe I'll wait untill next Winter and then start a thread titled "Riding trails in the rain does not destroy the trails" and watch the reactions from folks who live in soil-sensitive areas as they flip out (justifiably, of course, because I made a silly generalization).

Then I'll try to tell them that they lack common sense and that they only understand literal meanings.

Of course, I'll be sure to give you credit for the absurd ideas.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
To ride, or NOT to ride?

That is a question.

Personally, when I started riding, I'd go anytime. In summer when it's like 85 to 95 degrees out, it could be DOWNPOURING like BUCKETS for three days straight and on Saturday, I'd get on my bike and go out riding and run into maybe one or two guys tops. I bought tires from Maxxis over the phone and the guy told me about this one set, "Oh you really don't want those unless you're racing, cuz they really tear up the environment..." I was like, " 'F' the environment! how much them bad boys cost with shipping!?" I love it in the mud but THEN I had a talk with the park ranger one day while he was taping up a buddy of mine's hand after crashing and tearing his hand open cutting his vein. He was a really cool laid back kind of guy.

Now I don't anymore. He told me that we do tear up the environment and they accept that, and although they don't prevent it, they'd prefer we not go out in the rain because the water gets in about an inch or two deeper in the ground and softens it thus when we hit our brakes we tear deeper into the surface and do a lot more damage than we do on dry days.

I really thought about it and thought, ''I can wait." And now I don't ride in rain at all.

But I still got my cool tires though...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
sanjuro... you know i'm on yr side on this one. we both used to be back in CT riding the same sloppy trails. if more people thought about riding case on rainy days or post-rainy days, it wouldn't be in the rutted out state that it's in.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have a place near home that is a sandy/loam mix. It doesnt rut out and drains quickly. I ride it whenever...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BurlyShirley said:
I have a place near home that is a sandy/loam mix. It doesnt rut out and drains quickly. I ride it whenever...
Good, the drainage system we had put in is working to your liking, I'll let the Install dept know when they get back in from vacation that everything worked out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Please ride with consideration for the rainfall, soil conditions, drainage, trail-builders per capita, global weather patterns, tectonic stability, tire width, tire tread pattern, rim brake vs disc brake (and hydro vs mechanical), maximum speed, mininum speed, bike weight...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
Please ride with consideration for the rainfall, soil conditions, drainage, trail-builders per capita, global weather patterns, tectonic stability, tire width, tire tread pattern, disc brake vs rim brake (and hydro vs mechanical), maximum speed, mininum speed, bike weight...
Sweet generalization(s)!

:blah:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Some trails are more sensitive than others. Most of the time i ride on trails that drain well, or trails that get chewed up by motorcycle use. The damage that a hundred bikes on a rainy day won't come close to what a single motorcycle can do on a rainy day. So i have no qualms with riding in certain places in crappy weather. This pictured trail is a decomissioned trail that's soon to be clearcut.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
man you leave work a little early and all heck breaks out...I think most people have heard this argument since it has been BEATEN TO DEATH.!!!!...do we really need to point out the obvious???..even know our area has had alot of rain it is pretty dry because of the lack of snow this year, so most trails are not that bad...I was just curious how many let the rain stop them from going at all?

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I really think every person in my office thinks I am an idiot ...I go in just about anything....I remember doing a couple 5 hour enduro's in the rain...

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
My local park is chocked full of trails... but this one run that was my favorite was really hairy with major technicals and jagged rocks, just what the full suspension doctor ordered! It had some straight down spots that were pure drainage nightmare for soil. So after about three years of doing it, I kept noticing how bad it was getting, meaning GOOD for riding, but all of a sudden one day the park shut it down. I was like "what a bummer." I've only gone down it once since. Not sure what the forrest ranger would do if he caught me, but he use to get really ticked at me and my buddy Boo Boo when we use to steel peoples pick-a-nick baskeets!