Quantcast

Riding in the snow

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Biking related post! :p I got some snow and I'm going to ride in it tomorrow and the next day if it stays. And of course I'll go jumping in it and take video to show everyone. Probably gonna wipe out some....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
LOL i just read the title "Riding in the snow" and I thought to myself 'why would you want to do somehting like that'?

Snorre p

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Lillehammer/oyer, Norway
Snow riding is awsome under the right conditons. Late winter with warm days and cold nights is perfect.
Here in Norway more and more people do it.
You can by good studed tires or make silly ones yourself for riding in skiresorts.

Slushy stuff sucks....

Snorre

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Snorre p said:
Snow riding is awsome under the right conditons. Late winter with warm days and cold nights is perfect.
Here in Norway more and more people do it.
You can by good studed tires or make silly ones yourself for riding in skiresorts.

Slushy stuff sucks....

Snorre
Yea - I love winter riding. Frozen ground, a few inches of fresh snow, 30 degree temps :drool:

The ground is frozen, so you don't have to worry much about traction or damaging the trail, the snow and colder temps keep most people off the trails, so you have less hikers to worry about, and a little snow totally changes the way a trail rides.

We've had a pretty lousy winter so far, so opporotunities for good rides have been few and far between. I was hoping to riding tomorrow, but it's still really icy around here, so I may stick to the streets.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Phew just went for a ride in below freezing...awesome. It had warmed up like a day before then got really cold today, leaving me a little icy secret buried beneath the snow that I totally whiped out on, but it was great. When I got back I went to clean my bike and my front derailleur is frozen in place, and my right cleat was totally frozen, and the left barely could fit so the last part of the ride I wasnt clipped in one side. Good stuff, time to thaw my bike and get her cleaned up, and have a beer and thaw myself!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
GumbaFish said:
Phew just went for a ride in below freezing...awesome. It had warmed up like a day before then got really cold today, leaving me a little icy secret buried beneath the snow that I totally whiped out on, but it was great. When I got back I went to clean my bike and my front derailleur is frozen in place, and my right cleat was totally frozen, and the left barely could fit so the last part of the ride I wasnt clipped in one side. Good stuff, time to thaw my bike and get her cleaned up, and have a beer and thaw myself!
Where did you ride?

johnbryanpeters said:
The ice patches under snow are what convinced me to get studded tires. Wet snow is a pain in the ass to ride in. For the firmest path, follow the fox tracks. They know what they're doing.
Dogs too.