Quantcast

riding in Tokyo area

bggworm

Chimp
Apr 8, 2002
San Diego
Anyone in the Tokyo/Yokohama area that knows the goods on places to ride? I'm looking primarily for DJ's or DH area's. Can find quite a bit of info on the net but I don't speak or read Japanese. Thanks for any info.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
point me towards a particular bit of info and i can take a stab at translating

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it looks as if i am not going to get to it. amusingly enough, this is because i must study for a japanese test myself. :D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by bggworm
Anyone in the Tokyo/Yokohama area that knows the goods on places to ride? I'm looking primarily for DJ's or DH area's. Can find quite a bit of info on the net but I don't speak or read Japanese. Thanks for any info.
Fujimi Panorama isn't too far from Tokyo I think. Heaps of places to ride around Tokyo (by around Tokyo I mean within a radious of 150kms.

wildbill

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
From the depths of the archives--I may be spending a year in Tokyo (downtown) on a work assignment. If I didn't have a car, would riding be possible at all? DH riding would be most important but post-work or daytrip trailrides would be nice as well.

I've read that to bring a bike on the train it must be broken down in a bike box...so, I'm not hopeful...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Train thing is true. Best bet is to join a Japan specific forum and try to find other DHers in the Tokyo area. Try the forums on Japan Today or Gaijinpot.

wildbill

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
ah brutal.

so, no car--no mt. biking is basically what we're dealing with here?

or at the very least no short mt. bike trips where you wouldn't want to take the rig apart...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
ah brutal.

so, no car--no mt. biking is basically what we're dealing with here?

or at the very least no short mt. bike trips where you wouldn't want to take the rig apart...
Yeah, pretty much. You'd probably get away with just taking the wheels off and turning the bars so they don't stick out but they're big on the rules here so unless it's exactly how they like it you're f*cked. Think about renting a car, pretty reasonable in Japan.

wildbill

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
thanks for the advice. i read on gaijinpot that one dude would pull the wheels, bungee them to the frame and throw a tarp over the bike.

then i guess it would be feasible to throw the tarp/bungees in a camelbak and go ride.

i'm less concerned with dh-ing as you could just leave the travel bag in the lodge...

Jan 6, 2009
Tokyo! I am here! been here a while but getting more proactive in going riding (buddy with a van went back to Oz!)

I have a drivers licence and if we can get a little group of people, we can share the cost of renting a big MPV and go for one day or weekend trips when the season opens. There are a few places still open now too!

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Got a few trails in, and building more as time permits. Two main areas I`m working on now are Kirifuri Kogen in Nikko proper and a place near the JR Shimotsuke Osawa station. If you are ever in the area give me a shout.