Quantcast

Riding/loging in killington?

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
A few of my buddies and I are interested in checking out Killington this summer. It seems like a nice place to ride. We have been to Diablo numerous times, and it would be spectacular to experience another mountain.

Share your stories...

Also, does anyone know of any campsites around the Killington area, I did find the state park in Killington, but nothing else.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We've rented a condo and camped. How far do you want to drive to get to the mountain and what's your price range? Coolidge State Park is near Killington, there's also some affordable condos and B&Bs in the Mendon/Wilmington/Killington area too.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Well, I figured around $100-$200/person with gas, lodging, and lift ticket for 2 days, 2 nights. And there will be 4 people.

It would be nice to be somewhat close to the mountain max 15min. I think the camping thing would be cool, Ill have to look into Coolidge, Thanks!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
No problem. There are some other places near Rutland, Quechee and Woodstock, but you'll be a bit of a drive from the Mountain then. Don't forget to make a stop at the Long Trail Brewery...it's a short drive from Killington, but worth the trip!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Killington is pretty tame compared to Diablo. I've been there several times with no flat tires.
Ditto!

As far as lodging, you might want to wait and see what sort of package deals they might offer?

My first thought though, is why Killington? IMO, Mt. Snow or Whiteface are better DH destinations.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Eh.. something diffrent, I also plan on going out to Platty, hunter, & possibly whiteface this year. Killington seems like a nice place to spend two long days.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/gifford.cfm

Best camping anywhere near Killington, they have lean-tos/Adirondac shelters, coin-op showers, and is about a mile from the bottom of the access road.

You'll wanna bring an extra tube or two, some of the trails can get pretty rocky and some of the open stuff has some pointy rocks that don't interact well with tires at 40mph.

Plattekill is friggin awesome, as is Whiteface, Mt. Snow.....I'm not sure why anyone would go there if they are not racing.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I went to killington last year...probably my 4th or 5th time there. It's not bad, but not that exciting. Two days should give you plenty of time to explore it all. If you have a freeride bike with two rings, that might even be better than a DH bike. There's really only a few tricky parts on the mountain and some flat sections in between.

As others have said, if you can make it to Whiteface, go for it.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
Yeah, any trails in the 30s are good, and a few 20s. They will be putting in more jumps and features, and also a jump park for next year, but its a bit tamer than Diablo. There aren't as many jumps or really difficult sections. Take my advice, just go straight for the double diamonds, but it's a lot of fun and everyone is really nice there.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Sounds like fun... I like trails like twist, tripple drop, slayer, asylum. Not too into jumping or drops yet.

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
killington is pretty much dead in the summer time..especiallt resturant wise...but if it isnt go hit up the wobbley barn great steak place!

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
killington is pretty much dead in the summer time..especiallt resturant wise...but if it isnt go hit up the wobbley barn great steak place!
The Wobbly Barn is closed in the summer, but pretty much everything else is open, it's not dead at all.

And there aren't many jumps, there are a bit but its not like Diablo or something.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
killington is alot of fun if you know where you are going. want to ride fast flowy stuff? its there. want to ride rocky physical terrain that makes you work? its there too. the trails are fast. there are no stunts hardly any wood. just fast fast trails. the average run is at least 10 min. its not steep like platty or rocky everywhere like DIablo it will definatley make you pedal. just be sure not to get sucked below trail 1 or you will have to hike back up the lift. season passes were 100 last year so worth it. 7 days a week.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
killington is alot of fun if you know where you are going. want to ride fast flowy stuff? its there. want to ride rocky physical terrain that makes you work? its there too. the trails are fast. there are no stunts hardly any wood. just fast fast trails. the average run is at least 10 min. its not steep like platty or rocky everywhere like DIablo it will definatley make you pedal. just be sure not to get sucked below trail 1 or you will have to hike back up the lift. season passes were 100 last year so worth it. 7 days a week.
LOL! We ended up having to ride/hike back up to the lifts after one run :busted: We definitely paid a lot more attention to our routes after that bit or aerobic activity!