Quantcast

Riding near Roanoke

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I don't ride in Roanoke but I know there is plenty to ride in the area. On top of that, you are within driving distance (2 hours or less) of Snowshoe, Douthat State Park, George Washington National Forest (Sherando and Harrisonburg areas). Plus I'm sure the locals have some secrets stuff and Virginia Tech has a Freeride Club that knows what and where to ride. Roanoke is a good school also. I say go for it.

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA
C'mon down. Just stay away from spaceman and the crazy-ass shop he works at :p

What kind of stuff are you used to riding? more xc riding than you can shake a stick at and downhill stuff keeps me more than entertained :thumb:

Matt 891

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Salem, VA
I'm down for any kind of riding, just need to be on two wheels. Good to here that there's some good downhill.
I know its tough to talk about to much e-riding but bare with me.

single crown bikes are most prevalent. I ride with a handfull of guys on 8 inch travel bikes. most of the hills you gotta earn (hike/pedal what you can). shuttleable trails about a half hour up the road that I try to get guys organized for ocassionally.

East coast single track with 1000 foot of elevation is the norm with some at and around 1500.

Roanoke College?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i didn't know you where on this board matt...

1 vote for the RC. i'm a junior and have had a great time so far. 5 mins from a 40+ mile trail system, (carvins cove) good meal plan, my adviser shreds XC, 90% of the teachers are top notch, and so are the girls.

not much built up riding but enough natural trails we have a hard time deciding which to ride. look at a Nat. Geographic topo map of catawba valley, i think they call it allegany highlands, for an idea of the singletrack around here. also check icastle's photos.

Last edited: