Quantcast

Riding pants suggestions

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
I'm looking for some winter riding pants that are easy to put pads under and cover my shoes. Does anybody make such a thing? I've already got a pair of Fox 180s but they seem to funnel all the dirt and mud right into my riding shoes and are a pain to put pads on. TLDs look the same way.

Any suggestions?

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle

might not get the colorway PJ look though :(
Thanks, that is fine by me... I was actually going to say that they can't look like pajamas but i guess i really don't care what they look like.

I don't have any experience with gaiters, do you think the running ones would be better with flat bottom riding shoes or does it mater?

squiby

Chimp
Jul 26, 2010
^ ^ TLD rev pant looks cool.

have not tried the running gators myself but they have some light weight and water proof options that seem to cover the shoe well for about $30. might cover the shoe better than pants or work good with pants. depends on your needs/preference. I'd try them if my shoes were getting soaked bad. let me know how they work if you try them.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
there are tons of over the boot MX/enduro pants to choose from.

They won't have a watertight seal to a bike shoe though.

Carhartts are good too for $20, unless it's actually raining/snowing out.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If keeping the dirt out of your shoes is mostly what you are looking for then I might have a solution for you.

My diggers and I run lycra arm warmers for road bikers over the tops of our shoes/boots when digging and sometimes riding. They are cheap and light and keep all the dirt out of the shoes. I have used gaiters in the past but the arm warmer trick is much more comfortable and less imposing. In the fall I sometimes ride with them but it is more for keeping the dirt out of my shoes when digging towards your feet on a steep trail.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
If you can find these cheap, they're a no-brainer. Completely waterproof, and the best rain weather pants I've ever used.

I could care less if my shoes get dirty. I just wear Rocky Gore Tex socks to keep my feet dry.
Yeah Cliffy, those pants are sick.

I was thinking he wanted to keep the dirt and water out of the insides of his shoes. That was why I recommended the arm warmer trick.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Yeah Cliffy, those pants are sick.

I was thinking he wanted to keep the dirt and water out of the insides of his shoes. That was why I recommended the arm warmer trick.
If I dug trail like you, I'd probably cover my shoes too. ;) I have some hiking boots that are relegated to digging dutys only...