Quantcast

Riding potential

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
Yo,
I'm about movin to Santa Monica. Might have a job there. Before I do I want to make sure there is good riding(dh) near or close to the area. post up to let me know if this is a good spot. Can i see mountains from santa monica? I'm clueless.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
You will find a ton of good riding in Southern Cal. The thing about So Cal is that everything is spread out, including the riding. If you are willing to drive a bit a whole world of riding opens up for you.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah you will find riding, but like Ciaran said, you will have to do some driving. there's riding within 15- 20 miles of you, but in Los Angeles the traffic can be so bad that it might as well be 10000 miles away. You'll just have to learn to go around the bad traffic times.

mcdurly1

Chimp
Dec 8, 2001
Austin, TX
"You will find a ton of good riding in Southern Cal. The thing about So Cal is that everything is spread out, including the riding. If you are willing to drive a bit a whole world of riding opens up for you."

well im from texas so driving is something im really familiar with. what is within two hours of the LA area?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Check this thread:

http://67.19.50.55/forums/showthread.php?t=116974

It's about San Diego, but the DH spots of LA, Orange County, and San Diego are pretty much shared. You'll notice we just lost Big Bear, the local lift-assisted DH venue. Fontana (Southridge) just outside LA is thus the only local DH racing now, and it's a smaller, but fun, place to ride. Tons of other places to ride, just not to race. Lake Tahoe and Mammoth Mountain aren't terribly far, and neither is Vegas for riding at Bootleg Canyon.

Also check here: http://67.19.50.55/forums/showthread.php?t=108446
as it's got more detailed info on some places to ride.

MD

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
mcdurly1 said:
well im from texas so driving is something im really familiar with. what is within two hours of the LA area?
With absolutely no sarcasm intended, the answer to your question depends on whether traffic is moving 10 mph or 75 mph. Also, keep in mind that the LA area itself has a pretty big footprint, and Orange County to the south and Ventura to the north also sprawl. It takes an hour or more at 65 just to drive across LA county, and ditto for Orange.

But within reasonable distance, trafic allowing, are the Santa Monica Mountains, San Gabriels, San Bernardino Mountains, Santa Ana Mountains, plus stuff to the north in Santa Barbara and stuff to the south in San Diego counties.