Quantcast

Riding, Racing & Pregnancy

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, I am officially making the announcement....We're having a baby :D

My husband and I are both really psyched and terrified at the same time. The trouble is, we're both addicted to riding and that's going to be a big adjustment. I've had my first appointment with the OB and he told me that I could continue riding and even allowed me to race this weekend in the 24 hours of adrenaline at Dalton, Mass. Catch is that I have to keep my heartrate in check....well, I couldn't seem to do that on my first lap (nerves, adrenaline, heat, fatigue...who knows why) and I had to make the tough decision to take a seat (while on the course) and get my heart rate down. I was so torn up about it and felt awful because I didn't want to hurt the baby, but I was on track to have a fast (for me) lap and my legs felt great. It was one of the most difficult things I had to do...I know it was the right thing, but when I came in I was upset that I had let myself get to that point and worked harder on the rest of my laps to take it easy and keep myself on track.

Now, I have to wear a heart rate monitor when I ride and have to take it easy, so there won't be any more races for me this summer. The Dr. is fine with me riding as long as I take it easy and try not to crash too bad.

I know a lot of other women on here race and/or ride and have children. How did you all do it??? Is it realistic to believe that I can keep riding and perhaps not loose a lot of skills and endurance so that I can plan on racing again next season or am I being too optomistic? :help:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Congrats (again) to you and Sq-Earl!!! :thumb: You guys will make great parents!! Feel free to call Kell and I with any questions...we've been there and are there yet again! :)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Congratulations TreeSaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap that is cool. Your mother in law must be over the moon right now. As for your question, I'd say you can count on your riding biting the dust for at least a year, then everything should be back to normal if you can find decent baby sitters. I advise you to go to the movies and dinner as much as possible from now until the baby is born.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
ghostrider said:
Congratulations TreeSaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap that is cool. Your mother in law must be over the moon right now. As for your question, I'd say you can count on your riding biting the dust for at least a year, then everything should be back to normal if you can find decent baby sitters. I advise you to go to the movies and dinner as much as possible from now until the baby is born.
Thanks! Barb-C & my mother are both REALLY happy (to say the least). I am hoping the riding doesn't suffer too much...it's going to be tough because Sq-Earl and I ride together so much now. I am sure we'll work it out though. The first thing we looked at was the strollers that attach to the bike (haven't even thought about nursery stuff yet) :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Congrats (again) to you and Sq-Earl!!! :thumb: You guys will make great parents!! Feel free to call Kell and I with any questions...we've been there and are there yet again! :)
Thanks again and congrats to you and Kell as well. I am sure we'll be talking more and more :thumb:

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
TreeSaw said:
Thanks! Barb-C & my mother are both REALLY happy (to say the least). I am hoping the riding doesn't suffer too much...it's going to be tough because Sq-Earl and I ride together so much now. I am sure we'll work it out though. The first thing we looked at was the strollers that attach to the bike (haven't even thought about nursery stuff yet) :thumb:
This is what you need. Don't settle for anything less:
http://www.chariotcarriers.com/html_english/cougar1.htm

Just remember you can't take an infant in the trailer - you're stroller bound for the 1st year or so. In that case, get the Bob stroller:
http://bobtrailers.com/strollers/

My other advice for baby gear: By quality stuff new, then sell it used on eBay. We sold our Bob for $25 less than we paid for it, after we used it for a year and a half.

J

JRB

Congrats. Julie and I have one coming in January. Julie has turned in the mountain bike for the road bike until the birth. The doc said no horses, so she assumed the same for the mtb. She wouldn't have ridden a horse anyway, but the bike had to rest.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
congrats! there has been lots of good discussion re: preganancy and mountain biking at the mtbr women's lounge, you might find some useful threads there.

geargrrl

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
ridetoofast said:
im know im a guy ..but seriously i dont understand you could even consider risking a ride while carrying a little one...

and this is coming from one who has done some seriously stooooopid shyte.

please let yer love for the dirt lay idle for a while and just go to the gym if you need to work up a sweat

good luck, keep us posted, and get that little one rippin on the dirt as soon as you can! :thumb:
Oh SHUT UP.

There are tons of women who stay active throughout their pregnancies, WITH their doctor's permission. Unless you are her doctor, you have no business telling her not to ride.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ridetoofast said:
im know im a guy ..but seriously i dont understand you could even consider risking a ride while carrying a little one...

please let yer love for the dirt lay idle for a while and just go to the gym if you need to work up a sweat

good luck, keep us posted, and get that little one rippin on the dirt as soon as you can! :thumb:
ridetoofast, educate yourself about the benefits of exercise for a healthy pregnancy. Many women are very active, including mountain biking for most of their pregnancies.

there's riding, and then there is being stupid. A baby is totally protected from many things while in utero. Nothing wrong with non-penalty trails, nothing at all. Assuming you have your dr's clearance for physcial activity, you might as well ride until your knees hit your belly.

the beautiful thing about preganacy is that your body will tell you a lot and caution and care is built into female genes.All of a sudden you won't want or need to do the things you were doing six months ago. OK, so you aren't taking drops or going fast but there's nothing wrong with a mellow pedal on a great trail keeping your heart rate under control.

Once you have clearances from your doc, assuming there are no indicators of a problem pregnancy, regular physical activity is good for you. There are women who have skied into their 5/6 month of pregancy, runners who run well into the very end, bikers who ride until their knees hit their bellies. Women who stay active generally are much healthier during pregnancy and have easier, less complicated deliveries.

You'll find that you become public property and that all sorts of people who know you and don't know you will offer unsolicited advice about what you should and shouldn't do. Ultimately that is between you and your physician.

so, congrats, and enjoy the trail as long as you can.

geargrrl

J

JRB

Uhm - ladies, no one said not to ride or exercise. The dude was just pointing out to be careful. After all, I fell and tore my new ridemonkey jersey yesterday. Like I said, Julie is on the road bike for now.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
Once you have clearances from your doc, assuming there are no indicators of a problem pregnancy, regular physical activity is good for you. There are women who have skied into their 5/6 month of pregancy, runners who run well into the very end, bikers who ride until their knees hit their bellies. Women who stay active generally are much healthier during pregnancy and have easier, less complicated deliveries.

You'll find that you become public property and that all sorts of people who know you and don't know you will offer unsolicited advice about what you should and shouldn't do. Ultimately that is between you and your physician.

so, congrats, and enjoy the trail as long as you can.

geargrrl
Yeah...one of the OB/midwives (not sure which she is at this point) is a triathlete and she continued running, riding and swimming until month 6 and then had to stop riding because she was loosing her balance.

We're playing it appointment to appointment, and I am taking things easy. So far, I have had no morning sickness, fatigue, crazy cravings or bad moods associated with the first trimester so I am blessed and I truly believe it has a lot to do with my level of exercise.

Thanks for the support ladies (and gentlemen). :D

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
loco said:
Uhm - ladies, no one said not to ride or exercise. The dude was just pointing out to be careful. After all, I fell and tore my new ridemonkey jersey yesterday. Like I said, Julie is on the road bike for now.
she will be more comfortable on a mtb as her belly grows.

btdt.

geargrrl

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Congrats to you and your family.

I have to say every once in a while you run across some good stuff on these forums that remind me how cool MTBers can be...

TreeSaw said:
. The first thing we looked at was the strollers that attach to the bike (haven't even thought about nursery stuff yet) :thumb:

geargrrl said:
Assuming you have your dr's clearance for physcial activity, you might as well ride until your knees hit your belly.
That's not a pretty mental image, but funny none the less.

I wonder if how deep into your pregnancy you ride will affect the how much of a ripper your offspring will be? :thumb:

Good luck

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
MtnBikerChk said:
Congrats TreeSaw! That's great.

I dunno though - I wouldn't MTB while pregnant. I'd probably stick to the spinning class and road riding.

I don't fall often, but when I do.......KABOOM!
You've just got to know yourself and your abilities. When I first started riding - I had those - "what the heck just happened" type of falls. But these days - they're from really pushing it, racing DH, etc. If I just went out and rode within my abilities/comfort zone I wouldn't be any more likely to fall riding XC than I would walking down the street. I really believe your body will tell you when to quit (fatigue, starting to lose balance, etc.) So combine that with discussing it with your doctor and following his/her advice, and you're doing what's best for you and your baby by staying active, happy and fit.

(And personally, I'm much more scared of riding on the roads around here - traffic and cars are way too unpredictable for me. I'd feel a lot safer on a trail. But, again, that's what I'm comfortable with. I don't road bike.)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Congrats again, TreeSaw!

Obviously, I'm coming from the other side of the fence, but I'll pass on what I saw my wife go through with our 2 kids...

Renae's pregnancy with Emma (our first) was pretty simple, and she was able to stay fairly active though most of her pregnancy. After the delivery, she was layed up for quite a while with some health issues (not serious, but not typical pregnancy type stuff). With Sean (our second), her pregnancy was very difficult from day one. Terrible morning sickness for the first tri, headaches/migranes throughout, frequent upset stomach (both naseau and vomiting), etc. Delivery was better the second time around, and so far, things have been slightly better post-delivery.

So, with all that said, I think it depends totally on how your pregnancy/delivery goes. If it's a good pregnancy, then you'll probably be able to ride for quite a while - the cold weather might stop you before the baby does. If not, you could be off your bike tomorrow. If you have a natural delivery that goes pretty well and there are no followup difficulties, you could be back on your bike fairly quickly. If it's difficult, or if you have a c-section, it could be quite a while longer before you see any saddle time.

Even if things go well, I think racing next year will be tough... at least racing at the level you are used to being at. Riding is all but a given assuming nothing unexpected happens, but I wouldn't hold my breath when it comes with racing.

I do want to add this little disclaimer - you seem to be much more active, in better shape, and far more competitive than my wife is (or was before the kids). So that is one of those intangibles that could really swing things in your favor.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
altagirl said:
You've just got to know yourself and your abilities. When I first started riding - I had those - "what the heck just happened" type of falls. But these days - they're from really pushing it, racing DH, etc. If I just went out and rode within my abilities/comfort zone I wouldn't be any more likely to fall riding XC than I would walking down the street. I really believe your body will tell you when to quit (fatigue, starting to lose balance, etc.) So combine that with discussing it with your doctor and following his/her advice, and you're doing what's best for you and your baby by staying active, happy and fit.

(And personally, I'm much more scared of riding on the roads around here - traffic and cars are way too unpredictable for me. I'd feel a lot safer on a trail. But, again, that's what I'm comfortable with. I don't road bike.)
I feel pretty much the same way. I definately know my comfort zone and have found myself not willing to take the risks. I too find the roads terrifying...way too many crazy drivers and curvy roads around here. We'll see how it goes. The husband and I are planning a short XC ride tonight to test the waters. :D

J

JRB

I sure would hate to be on my bike carrying a kid when I figured out I lost my balance.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
loco said:
I sure would hate to be on my bike carrying a kid when I figured out I lost my balance.
This gets discussed regularly over on MTBR women's lounge - and everyone who's been through it said they just know when to quit. More, hey, I'm not going to ride anymore because I don't feel like I have the balance I used to, or I'm too tired, or whatever. Not all of the sudden in the middle of a ride, one minute you were fine, the next you have no balance.

I know women who kept downhill skiing until they were 9 months pregnant. If it's something that's easy for you normally and you have an easy/uncomplicated pregnancy, you can just tone it down (more and more as time goes on) and be fine the whole time.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
loco said:
Just because a women is pregnant doesn't mean they have to live in a locked box for 9 months! Should a pregnant women not drive a car? Or travel in a car? There are a ton of auto accidents each day and each time you step into that car you run that risk. How about crossing a busy street? People don't always obey traffic signals and you could get hit. It's about taking some precautions and extra care when doing things, but women should not be expected to stop living their life. If your confident in your ability to safely go on an xc ride, or drive your car, or take the dog for a walk, why the heck not?!?!?!

I may never want kids, but more power to the women who do and who will be able to raise little ones who can ripp it on the trails with 'em :)

Congrats TreeSaw :D

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Velocity Girl said:
Just because a women is pregnant doesn't mean they have to live in a locked box for 9 months! Should a pregnant women not drive a car? Or travel in a car? There are a ton of auto accidents each day and each time you step into that car you run that risk. How about crossing a busy street? People don't always obey traffic signals and you could get hit. It's about taking some precautions and extra care when doing things, but women should not be expected to stop living their life. If your confident in your ability to safely go on an xc ride, or drive your car, or take the dog for a walk, why the heck not?!?!?!
I couldn't have said it better! I'm sure everyone is just concerned about Treesaw and the baby's well being, but geez :rolleyes: I'd be more worried about her going down the stairs to do laundry with the cats running around her feet than her riding a bike (feel free to use that excuse with Sq-Earl). She's a very good rider that knows her limitations quite well. Although a nice plush new bike (575) would probably make your pregnancy easier, Sq-Earl DOES want you to have an easy pregnancy right?

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Sorgie said:
I couldn't have said it better! I'm sure everyone is just concerned about Treesaw and the baby's well being, but geez :rolleyes: I'd be more worried about her going down the stairs to do laundry with the cats running around her feet than her riding a bike (feel free to use that excuse with Sq-Earl). She's a very good rider that knows her limitations quite well. Although a nice plush new bike (575) would probably make your pregnancy easier, Sq-Earl DOES want you to have an easy pregnancy right?
So I'm thinking that if TreeSaw has to deal with being preganant for 9 months and then the whole delivery piece (ouch!!) that as a thank-you Sw-Earl should buy TreeSaw a brand new bike of her choice :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Now Sorgie and VG are talking! I am going to HAVE to use that!!! :D We're heading out for a ride at 4:30pm at our local trails. They're quite technical, but I do know them like the back of my hand...that's where I learned to ride afterall. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Sorgie...I am loving the laundry idea too :devil:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
ridetoofast said:
oh i wasnt say dont ride a bike at all...just stay away from anything technically challenging. im fully aware of how active women can be and are throughout pregnancy
???? but you did say:

m know im a guy ..but seriously i dont understand you could even consider risking a ride while carrying a little one...
and
let yer love for the dirt lay idle for a while and just go to the gym if you need to work up a sweat
sort of sounds a little different that "stay away from anything technically challenging". Doing a little backtracking?

gg

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
The post above shows what you actally said. Which sounded insulting, like she doesn't care as much as you would. Which I think is rude and wrong. And therefore I was rude back.

If you said what you did in your last post I wouldn't have batted an eye...

geargrrl and altagirl - if you are going to quote someone, use the WHOLE quote.

this is what he said:

"im know im a guy ..but seriously i dont understand you could even consider risking a ride while carrying a little one...

good luck, keep us posted, and get that little one rippin on the dirt as soon as you can! "

I see the words PLEASE and GOOD LUCK.

so stop trying to pick a fight or I'll close this thread.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MtnBikerChk said:
so stop trying to pick a fight or I'll close this thread.
:thumb:

Maybe if they weren't so rude to him, he would not have deleted his posts. God forbid a man offers an opinion other than "RIDE RIDE RIDE!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as my opinion on the subject goes, I assume we'd follow the doctor's orders, but I think I'd err on the side of caution and ask MBC not to MTB during the latter stages of her pregnancy. But if she couldn't ride, I wouldn't ride.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Even with the words "Please" and "Good luck" in the post I still think it sounds a bit condscending. Maybe some of the reactions may have been a bit harsher than necessary, but I don't appreciate women (or anyone) being talked down to either so I can understand how that might ruffle some feathers.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I remember seeing a VERY pregnant woman running at the gym a couple years back and I was in shock. She was not just jogging, but full on running at full speed!

I have no clue on what you should and shouldn't do when you are 7+ months pregnant, but man all I could think if was my back would be killing me.

I fully think that it's very important for women to stay active while they are pregnant, but I just can't see myself wanting to sprint at point of my pregnancy.

Treesaw: have you thought about swimming? At the YMCA I workout at they offer water aerobics for expecting women.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Snacks said:
I remember seeing a VERY pregnant woman running at the gym a couple years back and I was in shock. She was not just jogging, but full on running at full speed!

I have no clue on what you should and shouldn't do when you are 7+ months pregnant, but man all I could think if was my back would be killing me.

I fully think that it's very important for women to stay active while they are pregnant, but I just can't see myself wanting to sprint at point of my pregnancy.

Treesaw: have you thought about swimming? At the YMCA I workout at they offer water aerobics for expecting women.
I haven't looked into swimming yet, but it's on my list. I am also considering taking a formal yoga or pilates class for pregnant women. Right now, I am just modifying what I have been doing (some light arm lifting, leg lifts, crunches on the exercise ball, riding and pilates). I feel great thus far and have my next check-up soon.

I did hit the trails last night and had a great ride...I was REALLY hungry and tired afterward, but my awesome hubby made me dinner and drew me a warm bath to relax in while he made dinner :love: I am SO lucky to have him. Today I feel great.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I believe that's Sq-Earl's plan...he's already decided that I can eat for 2 and he'll drink for 3 :think:
Tell him to be careful!!! I gained 25 "sympathy" lbs. when Kelley was pregnant with our first!! :eek:

J

JRB

I don't mean to sound all "women shouldn't". That is not my point. Men are no better than women, but if I had to wear a backpack full of eggs for 9 months, I wouldn't ride my mountain bike. I am just saying, evaluate the danger. It isn't worth the risk. If they say not to ride horses, I can't imagine a mountain bike would be any different.

For God's sake, be careful with your child.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Velocity Girl said:
Even with the words "Please" and "Good luck" in the post I still think it sounds a bit condscending. Maybe some of the reactions may have been a bit harsher than necessary, but I don't appreciate women (or anyone) being talked down to either so I can understand how that might ruffle some feathers.
I just reread his post about four times and found absolutely nothing condescending about his original reply, and certainly nothing he said warranted the angry responses.