Quantcast

Riding, Racing & Pregnancy

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I Are Baboon said:
I just reread his post about four times and found absolutely nothing condescending about his original reply, and certainly nothing he said warranted the angry responses.
I guess it comes down to everyone's personal interpretation. I personally find the part "please let yer love for the dirt lay idle for a while and just go to the gym if you need to work up a sweat" condescending. As if he's begging her to come to her senses and see that what she is doing is wrong. He's not her doctor, and in fact her doctor said it was ok....so now he's a better expert on her body than she is or her doctor :think:

The human body is amazingly resiliant and adaptive...and a lot stronger than a sack of eggs. The human race would not have survived as long as it has if it wasn't. Yes, you have to be careful, but you don't have to be quarentined from the rest of the world while pregnant.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
:thumb:

Maybe if they weren't so rude to him, he would not have deleted his posts. God forbid a man offers an opinion other than "RIDE RIDE RIDE!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As far as my opinion on the subject goes, I assume we'd follow the doctor's orders, but I think I'd err on the side of caution and ask MBC not to MTB during the latter stages of her pregnancy. But if she couldn't ride, I wouldn't ride.
you are a better man than i, then. when hil was preggo the 1st time, it coincided w/ a trip to NM and CO. she was about 3 months along, and i am sure it was difficult for her to sit back while others enjoyed some awesome riding. luckily, we were able to do 3 shuttles in addition to the other rides, and she wore a HRM so she could tell she wasn't overtaxing her body.

then there was the time of her 1st DH race...maybe that's why Otis is such a madman. :eek: :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
narlus said:
you are a better man than i, then. when hil was preggo the 1st time, it coincided w/ a trip to NM and CO. she was about 3 months along, and i am sure it was difficult for her to sit back while others enjoyed some awesome riding. luckily, we were able to do 3 shuttles in addition to the other rides, and she wore a HRM so she could tell she wasn't overtaxing her body.

then there was the time of her 1st DH race...maybe that's why Otis is such a madman. :eek: :D
:thumb: Now that's what I'm talking about.

While I appreciate the concern for me and my baby, I have spoken at great length with my OB, his associate (a triathlete and mother herself) and my nutritionist. They have all said it is OK for me to continue riding, as long as I monitor my heart rate and know my limits, keep hydrated and eat plenty. I am a good rider and I would certainly do nothing to jeapordize my little one...I hope that the nay-sayers in this thread realize this. I don't want this thread to be closed as I am hoping to hear more successful riding stories from pregnancy.

J

JRB

TreeSaw said:
I am a good rider and I would certainly do nothing to jeapordize my little one...I hope that the nay-sayers in this thread realize this. I don't want this thread to be closed as I am hoping to hear more successful riding stories from pregnancy.
I would think that your OB may not know that much about mountain biking. I rode a trail I don't call technical and have huge bruises, pulled a stick from my side, and cracked my helmet. I was being as careful as ever and I am a decently skilled rider. I am not asking you to stop riding, but I am just saying if you were me and I were you, I would forego the mountain bike. I know that sucks, but you are chancing an important part of 2 lives here. That is all I mean.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
Congratulations, Treesaw!!!!

I too am pregnant and can tell you how I've been feeling these last 36 weeks. I usually ride serious downhill trails and I pretty much stopped that immediately. I just couldn't enjoy the riding knowing the danger to the baby, and my chance of crashing was pretty high. I did, however, keep riding easy trails until I was 22 weeks. I just used a HR monitor and tried to keep my rides less strenuous. The only reason I stopped riding was because the style of my bike made it tough to bend over the bars without my growing belly getting in the way. It basically just got too uncomfortable, so I have limited myself to hiking since then. It's been a tough few months watching my husband and dog going off for rides on the weekends, but I know it will all be worth it. I'm due in a few weeks so at least I'll get to enjoy some riding during the summer. Good luck to you and keep active, but also take this time to give your body a rest and pamper yourself.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
TreeSaw said:
:thumb: Now that's what I'm talking about.

While I appreciate the concern for me and my baby, I have spoken at great length with my OB, his associate (a triathlete and mother herself) and my nutritionist. They have all said it is OK for me to continue riding, as long as I monitor my heart rate and know my limits, keep hydrated and eat plenty. I am a good rider and I would certainly do nothing to jeapordize my little one...I hope that the nay-sayers in this thread realize this. I don't want this thread to be closed as I am hoping to hear more successful riding stories from pregnancy.
as one woman to another, one who has been through two healthy active pregnancies, I have total confidence in Tree saw's ability to know her new limits and protect her baby. Mother nature builds that into us females, that's something that I think guys don't readily get. It's like the minute you actually know you are pregnant, the whole perspective on what constitutes the safe and comfort zone changes appropriately. You just KNOW, unless you are some freak of nature. Atheletic women understand this very well, thank you very much.

I skied downhill into my 5th month, and then the season was over. I stuck to blue groomers. Since this was my pre-mtb days, I rode my hubby's mtb until my knees hit my belly, on the streets which were probably more dangerous than your average non-technical trail. I swam until delivery. Activity is good, leads to healthy mother, easy delivery, fast recovery.

I can't comment much on the racing part, I'm not a competitor, sorry.

here are some interesting tidbits gleaned from various locations on the web:

Robyn Holland of North Carolina writes that as an avid, competitive 50-plus-miles-per-week runner, she has continued running 30-plus miles a week during her current pregnancy (she is in the second trimester of her second pregnancy). During her first pregnancy, she averaged 40 miles a week. http://www.active.com/story.cfm?story_id=9559&sidebar=630&category=activewomen
Medical experts who took part in the National Forum on Pregnancy and Sport advised that damage to the womb of the kind that could injure an unborn child is usually associated with forces equivalent to those occurring in a car accident. All medical experts agreed that falls and direct contact of the kinds that occur during contact sports were unlikely to cause damage to the womb or the unborn child. http://www.ausport.gov.au/fulltext/2002/ascpub/pisover.asp
Treesaw, this looks like a great article on racing, training, cycling and pregnancy...
http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/articles/1486.0.html

congrats, and you go, girl!!

geargrrl... whose babies are off to college...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Mocha said:
Congratulations, Treesaw!!!!

I too am pregnant and can tell you how I've been feeling these last 36 weeks. I usually ride serious downhill trails and I pretty much stopped that immediately. I just couldn't enjoy the riding knowing the danger to the baby, and my chance of crashing was pretty high. I did, however, keep riding easy trails until I was 22 weeks. I just used a HR monitor and tried to keep my rides less strenuous. The only reason I stopped riding was because the style of my bike made it tough to bend over the bars without my growing belly getting in the way. It basically just got too uncomfortable, so I have limited myself to hiking since then. It's been a tough few months watching my husband and dog going off for rides on the weekends, but I know it will all be worth it. I'm due in a few weeks so at least I'll get to enjoy some riding during the summer. Good luck to you and keep active, but also take this time to give your body a rest and pamper yourself.
CONGRATULATIONS to you as well!!! I can't wait to see some pics of your little one. I haven't even thought (ok maybe a thought, but haven't gone) DHing because of the high risk of crashing. I am glad to hear that you were able to ride until 22 weeks. My Dr. and I are going to evaluate my riding at every appointment, but thus far, I feel great and am glad to get out there and pedal...even if it is on the easier trails. Good luck with your delivery...I hope it's as quick and painless as possible :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
I haven't even thought (ok maybe a thought, but haven't gone) DHing because of the high risk of crashing.
Kell and I were thinking about that last night when I was marking the Deck Party date(s) on my calander. I'll assume you'll be leading the XC ride and not heading to West. ;)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
as one woman to another, one who has been through two healthy active pregnancies, I have total confidence in Tree saw's ability to know her new limits and protect her baby. Mother nature builds that into us females, that's something that I think guys don't readily get. It's like the minute you actually know you are pregnant, the whole perspective on what constitutes the safe and comfort zone changes appropriately. You just KNOW, unless you are some freak of nature. Atheletic women understand this very well, thank you very much.

I skied downhill into my 5th month, and then the season was over. I stuck to blue groomers. Since this was my pre-mtb days, I rode my hubby's mtb until my knees hit my belly, on the streets which were probably more dangerous than your average non-technical trail. I swam until delivery. Activity is good, leads to healthy mother, easy delivery, fast recovery.

I can't comment much on the racing part, I'm not a competitor, sorry.

here are some interesting tidbits gleaned from various locations on the web:

Treesaw, this looks like a great article on racing, training, cycling and pregnancy...

congrats, and you go, girl!!

geargrrl... whose babies are off to college...

geargrrl - THANK YOU SO MUCH for the words of encouragement. My husband and I have been talking about this thread a lot and luckily he's totally supportive of my riding (yes, he really is amazing) and believes that I can keep going and that I have been taking it easier (which he's thankful for).

I just read that article and it's AWESOME...exactly what I was looking for. It's funny the quote you posted above about the baby in the womb is pretty much what my Dr. told me and he doesn't cycle, but there are plenty of people that he knows (one is a club member I gather) that do and he is aware of the risks on the trail.

I am really hoping to race again next summer so this article really helped me to believe that I can do it :thumb: let's just hope my body cooperates I guess. :D If not, then my hubby and friends will have some great team support (atleast next summer) :sneaky:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
TreeSaw said:
geargrrl - THANK YOU SO MUCH for the words of encouragement. My husband and I have been talking about this thread a lot and luckily he's totally supportive of my riding (yes, he really is amazing) and believes that I can keep going and that I have been taking it easier (which he's thankful for).

I just read that article and it's AWESOME...exactly what I was looking for. It's funny the quote you posted above about the baby in the womb is pretty much what my Dr. told me and he doesn't cycle, but there are plenty of people that he knows (one is a club member I gather) that do and he is aware of the risks on the trail.

I am really hoping to race again next summer so this article really helped me to believe that I can do it :thumb: let's just hope my body cooperates I guess. :D If not, then my hubby and friends will have some great team support (atleast next summer) :sneaky:
you are welcome! I had some time to surf around last night, happy to help. It was kind of fun to look for legitimate medical information that was relevant. Things have come a long way in 18 years, I was getting crap for being in the weight room back then.

Really, it's all about education. While initially the reactions can be to go into "protect the fragile egg" mode, ( as VG put it) that's essentially a position of ignorance about the physiology of preganacy. The body is well designed to protect that baby. In many ways, it's more important to worry about what you eat and what you put into your body, since you share the same blood supply, than it is to worry about activities. The womb is a very well designed container.

Enjoy this wondrous time.

gg

Apr 19, 2005
Rochester, NY
So I'm only 21, but I have a serious boyfriend, we both plan on being together forever, blah blah blah. But kids? First I wanted them. When I was a girl I wanted 10. (i have since recieve a brain transplant!) Then I didn't! No WAY! they cry and scream, and yes, I am always the one bitching when you are out, even at a crappy place, and there are kids screaming. Then had a cervical cancer scare, and the thought of not being able to have kids totally made me really think, and I knew I at least wanted the possibility. But I seriously can't imagine not being able to bike. And it's not just a few months before the birth, but then you have a tiny infant. What do you do, hand it over to someone else and say, see ya, I'm going biking? I don't know... my s/o isn't as bike minded as I am, and I might have a hard time convincing him I need to go biking when there's a baby in the house. hmm... eh, I'll think about it in 2-10 years! lol.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
loco said:
How's it coming with the kid???
GREAT, thank you for asking!!! I just had my 3rd appointment and I am in my 2nd trimester now (4 months and a few days) and have gained a total of 3lbs. thus far. My blood pressure and pulse are excellent and the baby's pulse is great too. I am SO excited and counting down the days until the ultrasound (August 31st). I am still cleared to ride, but I have definitely cut down the number of rides per week now and am riding the rollers a little more just to keep in shape. I wish there were more less technical places to ride locally for me, but there really aren't so I am making do. I really miss DHing and am selling my DH bike so I don't have to watch it collect dust and remind me. Other than that, I have mad it thus far with no morning sickness or nausea, no cravings, virtually no fatigue and have been in great health (emotionally and physically). :D

How's your little one growing?

indra923

Chimp
Oct 16, 2004
Just ran across this thread and though you might like a little historical message of support. I had my baby over 25 years ago so things have probably changed a bit - no heart rate monitors then for one - and I was riding horses, not bikes then. At the first doctor's visit we discussed what activities I was doing and I told my OB that I was riding and jumping horses, she said fine, just be careful. At five months she sort of nicely asked me to consider not jumping any more, so I agreed reluctantly. We came to a mutual agreement that she wouldn't ask and I wouldn't tell her about the horses but at nine months she asked again if I was still riding and suggested that maybe I consider laying off until after the baby was born :) One thing I found was that I became a much better rider pregnant - the extra weight was an asset and I had to work on seat and balance much more. Never have I ridden so well since then. I don't know if I would bike as long into the pregnancy as I rode horses but for me it was a great way to relax and keep fit at the same time. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
indra923 said:
Just ran across this thread and though you might like a little historical message of support. I had my baby over 25 years ago so things have probably changed a bit - no heart rate monitors then for one - and I was riding horses, not bikes then. At the first doctor's visit we discussed what activities I was doing and I told my OB that I was riding and jumping horses, she said fine, just be careful. At five months she sort of nicely asked me to consider not jumping any more, so I agreed reluctantly. We came to a mutual agreement that she wouldn't ask and I wouldn't tell her about the horses but at nine months she asked again if I was still riding and suggested that maybe I consider laying off until after the baby was born :) One thing I found was that I became a much better rider pregnant - the extra weight was an asset and I had to work on seat and balance much more. Never have I ridden so well since then. I don't know if I would bike as long into the pregnancy as I rode horses but for me it was a great way to relax and keep fit at the same time. Good luck and enjoy the experience.
Thank you for your message. I am riding quite well lately and am riding smart which is a nice change. I definitely find it a wonderful way to keep in shape and relax. My team of Dr.s are wonderfully supportive and are quite active themselves which is great. We reassess the situation every 4 weeks, but their philosophy is that a happy mommy is a healthy mommy and respect the fact that my body will tell me when it's time to stop. While I have reduced the frequency and intensity of my rides, I am still out there spinning and spinning on my rollers. I am confident in my riding ability, my husband is confident in my abilities and my Dr.s are comfortable so I am a very healthy and happy pregnant lady so far :D Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
Hello everyone, I just found this forum yesterday when I did a search for small DH mountain bikes. I'm extremely excited that there are other people out there with the same interests and questions as me! Regarding mountain biking and pregnancy...I am currently earning my Master's Degree in Exercise Science, and from what I know, activity is great for pregnancy, however you should not get your heart rate above 130-140 bpm. I would definitely stick towards the easier trails, where you are confident that you won't have any falls. I have never been pregnant, however I know it would be frustrating to give up DH mountain biking for a while. I'm sure you'll be ready to ride in no time!

Speaking of riding with children / babies...I was at Whistler the other weekend and saw the coolest thing that gave me encouragement--a women DH mountain biker who had her inlaws watching her 2-year old and infant baby. Between runs, she breastfed the child and was right back up on the mountain. I thought that was great, because you will be a better mom if you are happy and not giving up your favorite activities.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
April from WA said:
Hello everyone, I just found this forum yesterday when I did a search for small DH mountain bikes. I'm extremely excited that there are other people out there with the same interests and questions as me! Regarding mountain biking and pregnancy...I am currently earning my Master's Degree in Exercise Science, and from what I know, activity is great for pregnancy, however you should not get your heart rate above 130-140 bpm. I would definitely stick towards the easier trails, where you are confident that you won't have any falls. I have never been pregnant, however I know it would be frustrating to give up DH mountain biking for a while. I'm sure you'll be ready to ride in no time!

Speaking of riding with children / babies...I was at Whistler the other weekend and saw the coolest thing that gave me encouragement--a women DH mountain biker who had her inlaws watching her 2-year old and infant baby. Between runs, she breastfed the child and was right back up on the mountain. I thought that was great, because you will be a better mom if you are happy and not giving up your favorite activities.

you might want to investigate the heart rate thing, that's rather old thinking, based on the typical person who doesn't exercise much. For an athelete, there is new information looking at heart rate percentages and not just a number.

I posted this link earlier in the thread, it's a look at pregnancy from the medical aspect of women triatheletes and elite racers, who have of course different heart rate issues than your typical mall slug

here's a good quote form the site.

The universal complaint I heard from elite and non-elite women is that their OB-GYN or midwife had no clue about a heart-rate ceiling. Most OB-GYNs recommended a cap of 110-140. This is great pregnancy advice for average gym rats and recreational spinners. One elite cyclist complained that she hits her OB's recommended cap of 130 going up the stairs. Elite or not, most women who responded to the survey improvised as a result of this advice. Their heart-rate caps ranged from 140-165, depending on one's pre-pregnancy lactate threshold, heart-rate max or sometimes guesstimate.

For most of the women questioned, 75 to 85 percent of their usual maximum heart rate seems to be the magic number. Most women lowered the heart-rate cap as their pregnancy progressed and they drifted into beached-whale mode.

geargrrl

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
you might want to investigate the heart rate thing, that's rather old thinking, based on the typical person who doesn't exercise much. For an athelete, there is new information looking at heart rate percentages and not just a number.

I posted this link earlier in the thread, it's a look at pregnancy from the medical aspect of women triatheletes and elite racers, who have of course different heart rate issues than your typical mall slug

http://www.insidetri.com/train/bike/articles/1486.0.htmlgeargrrl
You're absolutely right...my Drs. are not following the old numbers and we're doing just fine thus far. I have found it amusing how some of my friends still believe I should be sitting on the sofa in my glass bubble not doing anything active because I am pregnant. I am just thankful to be happy and healthy and have family, friends and Drs. that are encouraging my exercise.

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
Thank you for the info regarding elite women and heart rates! I'll have to check that article out! I am a strong believer that you just need to listen to your body and do what feels right, however since I don't know any of your fitness levels, I felt it best to err on the conservative side with the 140 heart rate maximum.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
April from WA said:
Thank you for the info regarding elite women and heart rates! I'll have to check that article out! I am a strong believer that you just need to listen to your body and do what feels right, however since I don't know any of your fitness levels, I felt it best to err on the conservative side with the 140 heart rate maximum.
So true. I've spent a lot of time with my Drs. trying to figure out a good heart rate. So far, I am feeling great and am paying very close attention to my body every day! Almost 5 months now and 1 week until my ultrasound. I can't wait!!!

Aug 24, 2005
Olympia, WA
TreeSaw said:
So true. I've spent a lot of time with my Drs. trying to figure out a good heart rate. So far, I am feeling great and am paying very close attention to my body every day! Almost 5 months now and 1 week until my ultrasound. I can't wait!!!
How exciting! I have to commend you on your strength to make this life change. I'm 26 and hope that I will be ready to have children in the next 5 years or so. Right now, it is hard to imagine because I enjoy my recreation time so much. I guess that's what in-laws are for!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
April from WA said:
How exciting! I have to commend you on your strength to make this life change. I'm 26 and hope that I will be ready to have children in the next 5 years or so. Right now, it is hard to imagine because I enjoy my recreation time so much. I guess that's what in-laws are for!
Thanks...I am not sure if we're really ready to be parents or not, but we are excited and have the support of our family and friends. You'll know when you're ready for a change.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
kind of a segue here, you gals are just getting started... I put my first born son, who will 19 in a few weeks on a plane to go to the university this morning. Off he goes,, doesn't even turn to look after he went through the gate. Even tho I have my life well established, wow, the start of the end of one phase and the beginning of another. ...sniff....you don't believe people when they say it will go so fast,but it really does...

hey, more time to ride!! :thumb:

geargrrl

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
kind of a segue here, you gals are just getting started... I put my first born son, who will 19 in a few weeks on a plane to go to the university this morning. Off he goes,, doesn't even turn to look after he went through the gate. Even tho I have my life well established, wow, the start of the end of one phase and the beginning of another. ...sniff....you don't believe people when they say it will go so fast,but it really does...

hey, more time to ride!! :thumb:

geargrrl
Wow!!! That is definitely a life-changing event. I'm not sure that I look forward to those moments or not. Kids definitely do grow up too fast these days. I just saw the flower girl from my wedding off to study abroad for her Sr. year of H.S.! It's a weird feeling. Have fun with more ride time though :thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
TreeSaw said:
Wow!!! That is definitely a life-changing event. I'm not sure that I look forward to those moments or not. Kids definitely do grow up too fast these days. I just saw the flower girl from my wedding off to study abroad for her Sr. year of H.S.! It's a weird feeling. Have fun with more ride time though :thumb:

I was sort of ok with it all until I went to the supermarket, no need to go double/triple on on gallons of milk any more!!! So I went over to my gf's and had a good cry. Her son leaves in 3 weeks but he'll only be 20 miles away. I still have one at home, he's going to be 16 soon. I took him mountain biking in Ketchum/Sun Valley a few weeks ago. Please excuse the outfit...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
geargrrl said:
I was sort of ok with it all until I went to the supermarket, no need to go double/triple on on gallons of milk any more!!! So I went over to my gf's and had a good cry. Her son leaves in 3 weeks but he'll only be 20 miles away. I still have one at home, he's going to be 16 soon. I took him mountain biking in Ketchum/Sun Valley a few weeks ago. Please excuse the outfit...
I absolutely can't wait to take my child outside and play with them and bike with them. I think it's one of the most rewarding parts of being a parent. Do both of your sons bike?

I am sure you will adjust to your son being away...although, you will probably cook way to much food for dinner the first few weeks (that's what my mother did). ;)

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
TreeSaw said:
I absolutely can't wait to take my child outside and play with them and bike with them. I think it's one of the most rewarding parts of being a parent. Do both of your sons bike?

I am sure you will adjust to your son being away...although, you will probably cook way to much food for dinner the first few weeks (that's what my mother did). ;)
Outside is good. We started car camping @ 4 months, we backpacked with infants, lots of car camping, family backpacking, rafting etc. The older one will not get on a mountain bike ever since he was 13 and did a super man into a mud puddle and his parents ( who , me and dad?) just laughed, it was really very funny but the poor kid has no sense of humor about things like that. We probably damaged him for life.
Younger boy, in the pic is showing great potential for riding.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My wife(we're having twins,18 weeks) just fainted today while she was at the store dropping some pics off. Her ob/gyn said it was pretty common (something about an increase in blood volume in second trimester) and asked if she was drinking enough -- so keep hydrated. Told her to get a blood test for anemia to be on the safe side.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
my wife, rainbow_smoke, is expecting our first (11wks) We have been out riding some, she is just taking it easy. she also works FT on her feet everyday, so I try and make sure dinner is ready when she gets home, so she does not have to do to much. we are both really excited!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Wumpus said:
My wife(we're having twins,18 weeks) just fainted today while she was at the store dropping some pics off. Her ob/gyn said it was pretty common (something about an increase in blood volume in second trimester) and asked if she was drinking enough -- so keep hydrated. Told her to get a blood test for anemia to be on the safe side.
Congratulations on the twins!!! My Drs. haven't said much about the risk of fainting, but I am quite well hydrated and have been tested for anemia. My mother had twins as well so I definitely realize that it's quite a bit more stressful than just one. Tell your wife to take it easy :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
allsk8sno said:
my wife, rainbow_smoke, is expecting our first (11wks) We have been out riding some, she is just taking it easy. she also works FT on her feet everyday, so I try and make sure dinner is ready when she gets home, so she does not have to do to much. we are both really excited!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You're such a good husband! I really need to make my husband do more, but I haven't experienced any fatigue so I have been taking care of dinner and the housework as usual. I know he'll step in when I need him.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
TreeSaw said:
Congratulations on the twins!!! My Drs. haven't said much about the risk of fainting, but I am quite well hydrated and have been tested for anemia. My mother had twins as well so I definitely realize that it's quite a bit more stressful than just one. Tell your wife to take it easy :thumb:
Thanks. She never had any issues with our other kiddos. According to the books she got on having twins, they automatically jump her into the high risk pregancy group.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Wumpus said:
Thanks. She never had any issues with our other kiddos. According to the books she got on having twins, they automatically jump her into the high risk pregancy group.
Yeah, my mother was too. She wasn't so happy about it as she had 4 other children without a problem. I am sure it's just a precaution. Will you be finding out what the twins are?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My wife is a twin and her mom is a twin. We're now due with our second and are counting our lucky stars it's not our second and third!! ;) We'll be finding out the sex in 3 weeks...can't wait!! :D

Due date: Jan 28th, 2006 :thumb:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
My wife is a twin and her mom is a twin. We're now due with our second and are counting our lucky stars it's not our second and third!! ;) We'll be finding out the sex in 3 weeks...can't wait!! :D

Due date: Jan 28th, 2006 :thumb:
I know the feeling. I go in on Wednesday to find out and I am keeping my fingers crossed...my father's a twin, my sisters are twins and there are twins on both sides of my parents family :eek: