Quantcast

Riding "Right" aways

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
WARider - less chest thumping, more "Sorry dude"s...... It's going to make nothing better by taking it into the parking lot to fight like a couple testosterone-addled 14 year olds.

You are older than 14, aren't you? :confused: If not, please ignore my advice and continue acting like a retard for the next 8-12 years. :D

-S.S.-

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
SkaredShtles said:
WARider - less chest thumping, more "Sorry dude"s...... It's going to make nothing better by taking it into the parking lot to fight like a couple testosterone-addled 14 year olds.

You are older than 14, aren't you? :confused: If not, please ignore my advice and continue acting like a retard for the next 8-12 years. :D

-S.S.-
Well said.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I say there "really" are no rules and someone who made rules for how to ride your bike truly was an assface. When I'm on the trail I just try not to be a d!ck. That said... fi I see someone hammering up a massive techy hill... knowing that if they stop they might not get going again... I'll probably halt my DH assault to let them make it by then resume the DH assault. :monkey:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
golgiaparatus said:
I say there "really" are no rules and someone who made rules for how to ride your bike truly was an assface. When I'm on the trail I just try not to be a d!ck. That said... fi I see someone hammering up a massive techy hill... knowing that if they stop they might not get going again... I'll probably halt my DH assault to let them make it by then resume the DH assault. :monkey:
In a perfect world everyone would be considerate of each other and each situation. As it is, there are enough assfaces doing stupid $hit on bikes that we *need* the rules. Here the trails would probably be quickly shut down to everybody but hikers if there weren't any *hard and fast* rules.

-S.S.-

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
"Massive techy" should not be the consideration. The consideration should be that the person hammering up the hill is the one who has to work hard when you force them to stop their ride. You have the benifit of gravity to assist in gaining your momentum back. Not only do they have to fight gravity once they've lost momentum, but when I'm worn out and fighting a hill, simply stopping for a second can drain all of my energy.

I would say, bombing down a hill while someone else is climbing up - regardless of whether the hill falls under the category of "massive" or "techy" - and causing them to stop, falls under the category of being a "d!ck"...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
golgiaparatus said:
Actually, at least for IMBA members, we do have "rules of the trail". IMBA (and IMBA's network of local clubs) is realistically the only official group in the USA that gives a crap about mountain bikers and whether or not we have places to ride.

So when they make a simple request to yield to people climbing, which makes perfect sense to anyone who has ever pedalled a bike up a technical climb, why go all belligerent and say "anyone who made rules is an assface"?

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I rejoice in the fact that I have no knowledge whatsoever to contribute to this. The farthest I can ride dirt "downhill" around here is about 30 feet, since the only substantial natural grades in my area are just big ditch crossings or dry ravines.

Since these are so steep, stopping anywhere on the way down (without a tree to grab, at least) would mean automatic OTB for me. Even using brakes on the way down is foolish 'cuz I need all that momentum to try to get up the other side. Fortunately I have to stop for a breath at the top of each one, so I could stop there for anyone trying to climb up. WTF am I talking about?

OK this: If I were going down a hill and someone was trying to climb it and I could stop safely, I would. Who the hell am I kidding? I pull over for everyone going the other way on the trail anyway. . . I'm too slow to justify making anyone else wait :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
binary visions said:
"Massive techy" should not be the consideration. The consideration should be that the person hammering up the hill is the one who has to work hard when you force them to stop their ride. You have the benifit of gravity to assist in gaining your momentum back. Not only do they have to fight gravity once they've lost momentum, but when I'm worn out and fighting a hill, simply stopping for a second can drain all of my energy.

I would say, bombing down a hill while someone else is climbing up - regardless of whether the hill falls under the category of "massive" or "techy" - and causing them to stop, falls under the category of being a "d!ck"...
I'snt that what I said?!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Echo said:
Actually, at least for IMBA members, we do have "rules of the trail". IMBA (and IMBA's network of local clubs) is realistically the only official group in the USA that gives a crap about mountain bikers and whether or not we have places to ride.

So when they make a simple request to yield to people climbing, which makes perfect sense to anyone who has ever pedalled a bike up a technical climb, why go all belligerent and say "anyone who made rules is an assface"?
Jesus! Did I not basically say that common sense is to yeild to the guy coming up the hill? As for the rules, there shouldnt need to be rules. Besides, rules are only rules if they are enforced (otherwise they are just guidelines), and last time I checked, people do what they want on the trails, if someone is a prick then they are going to ride like one.

And yes, I would regard anyone that comes up with a set of rules, that cant be enforced, to apply to something that that they dont own, an assface, a dumbass, or something along those lines. Though, I do realize that IMBA has guidelines for their members to follow, but you cant just bust out and be like "these are the rules" to most riders... most people arent aware of any such thing.

As I have said many times on this site... trail etiquette is simply common sense, do-un-to-others, etc etc. However, I do have the IMBA rules somewhere im my pile of IMBA stuff that gets sent to me all the frikkin time, they still owe me some socks too. Its been several years, they probably think they are off the hook, thanks for the reminder.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Whoa! What sort of Fantasy-Land do you live in?? Things must be different in OK....... ;)

It'd be nice if we didn't have to have murder "rules" either.........

-S.S.-

Things are different in OK allright. :rolleyes: