Quantcast

Riding scene in Portland vs. Denver

ryan12210

Chimp
Oct 14, 2007
I've decided to make the move out of Atlanta to either Portland or Denver. I work from home so I can live wherever I want. Anyone familiar with the riding in these areas? Particularly, how the weather effects the amount of the year you can ride. I know both have awesome trails, but I've been spoiled by the ability to ride all year. Portland has good weather (not much snow and mild temps) but it seems like the trails are pretty far from the city for afternoon rides. Any input would be appreciated. I ride all mountain and DH.

Roo

Chimp
Apr 28, 2008
Vanconver, WA
I moved from Atlanta, Roswell area, to Denver...a year later I moved to Portland. My kids and I were not too impressed with the Denver area trails...way too XC oriented and lots of drama with the XC group. The trails are all multi user as well. Portland is WAY better.

I actually started a new blog recently and my first post is about that in a way.
www.pacificnorthwestlife.com you can also check pictures out on my photoblog: www.roo78.tumblr.com there are tons of trail riding pics on it.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Trails arent too bad from portland. 1/2 hour to 1 hour depending on where you live. I dont know **** about denver but having moved to Portland a year ago I cant see myself moving anywhere else.

...and Whistler is only 6 hours away.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
We can ride year round, but most places get snow due to elevation. But if you dont mind the snow theres still plenty of riding, and to be honest portland and Washington have some of the countries best trails bar none.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I live in Denver and the riding scene is kinda lame. Definitely very xc/fitness oriented. Trails have to be very dry to ride or they will be easily damaged. There isn't real dirt here, it's all cumbly dust and broken down rock. I call this the gravel mountains instead of the rocky mountains.

/rant

Ride Monzie

Monkey
Jan 4, 2013
Killafornia
If you're choosing a city for riding and want Oregon, I'd say choose Oakridge instead of Portland. Trails are riding distance from your house. I never lived there or in Portland but I was researching places to live based on mountain biking and this was the city I had chosen for Oregon. Denver's awesome but you have to drive to the trails. That's always my problem with a city. I don't own a car so I make my choices based on the proximity to mountain biking. I ride XC though, so...