Quantcast

Riding Solo

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm always torn whether or not to go on solo rides. There was this older woman who was walking the other day and saw me head toward the woods. She about had a heart attack when she saw that I was a female riding alone.

The thought definitely crosses my mind. What if something happens? I don't ride in as much as I do when someone's with me, but I hate playing it safe and avoiding all the fun stuff just because I don't have a man there to protect me.

Any thoughts? Do you ride differently when alone?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have done COUNTLESS rides alone..probably in the thousands, and never had trouble. I do tend to be a bit more conservative when on my own in case I crash and break something and have no one to help me out. I just don't live life afraid of things you know? I take reasonable precautions in case I run into trouble (carry tubes, tools, food, cell phone...)

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I really like riding alone. Especially being out in the woods alone and having time to clear my head. I could just as easily be raped and pilaged in a parking lot. Besides, if you have to die somewhere, going down with your bike is a hell of a good deal :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bluebug32 said:
I really like riding alone. Especially being out in the woods alone and having time to clear my head. I could just as easily be raped and pilaged in a parking lot. Besides, if you have to die somewhere, going down with your bike is a hell of a good deal :D
Not to mention that your chances of any of that happening to you are so miniscule when compared to:

Falling down the stairs
Falling in the tub
Driving *anywhere*

And presumably you do some of that stuff alone........

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
i ride solo lots. Frankly I feel safer on the singletrack here than I would out on the road ( idiot drivers) or paved bike trail ( all sorts of weirdos park at the trail heads and flash the users)

I let someone know where I'm going, and when I think I'll be done. I call on the cellphone when I'm done. I don't take risks the risks I might on a group ride.

It totally depends on where you live, I guess. And whether if safety is a real concern or just basic paranoia.

geargrrl

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I ride solo and have also never had a problem either. I do ride with a bit more caution (although I have been known to stop and practice problem rock gardens, climbs, etc.) and I carry my cell phone with me (along with the basics--tube, pump, food, mini-maglite, some first aid items). I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "oh my--you're a female riding alone" if you feel safe then keep it up! :thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Thats funny. A female customer once mentioned how she preferred road riding in a group but mountain biked by herself, mountain biking being less threatening.

One time I was on a solo night ride at Redwood Park, and I came up on a female jogger without lights using a Walkman. I was thinking here is an invitation to something bad...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I ride alone from time to time and just ride a little more conservatively. I always make sure to take my cell phone, have a piece of paper with "In case of emergency contact XXX", and let someone know where I'm going and a time that if they haven't heard from me to start worrying.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I love riding alone sometimes. Sure, I'm not going to go and try some stunt I don't think I'm going to get without a good possiblity of carnage unless someone is there to pick up the pieces, but other than that, I don't worry about it.

I'm probably at about 70% group/30% solo, but it varies. I definitely don't let it be a consideration as to whether I ride or not.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Well I have been riding about 3 times a week since winter let up and I have gone on 3 rides with one other person out of that whole time. There is something to be said for both, although I am in desperate need of riding with people who are better and faster then I am to make me get better. I try a lot more when I am with somebody else. Other then that I bring all of my tools, and a cell phone just in case I almost kill myself out there.

durtgurl

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
I ride a lone all the time and love it for what it is, time to myself on my bike. I don't take as many risks as if I was riding with a group but I don't really worry about people hurting me, I'm more concerned about hurting myself or getting jumped by a mountain lion. It truly depends on where you live, what type of concerns you have while out alone. I live in the mountains of Colorado and we have mountain lions that are predators as well as black bear ( I don't fear the bear at all really, they're pretty shy and run away for the most part) as well as Moose and Elk (they can be grouchy sometimes if you catch them at the wrong time) So I ride aware, try to stay tuned to my surroundings, and I carry a knife, cell phone (never works in the mountains but I still carry it, climb to a high point), first aid kit and some mace as well as a lighter and a emergency blanket. Other wise you just have to go on with life and not be scared of what might happen but be prepared for anything. When I ride I try not to dwell on any negative things that might happen to me while I'm out alone because that's when things start to go wrong..
The only animal that has ever attacked me while riding is a bee, I've been stung so many times while riding, thank goodness I'm not allergic. My husband has to carry an epi-pin with him on rides because he is.
Have fun out there!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
bluebug32 said:
I'm looking to buy a road bike and I think that would easier and less stressful to take out alone than heading off into the woods.
based on the discussions I see in a mostly-road bike women's board I go to, I question this. Between idiot drivers, road rage and those who see a woman alone on a bike as a target for harassment, I really wonder if riding on the road is less stressful.

why I feel safer solo on the trail:
no idiot drivers or road rage, etc
most of the wierdos out there are too lazy to hike in more that 1/10 of a mile from their vehicles, hence I feel safer out in the woods.

geargrrl

vash

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
bumpin baby heads in pisgah
yeah, most of the boys out in the woods are going to be friendly enough, as in not bugging you..... i ride alone alot just cause im new to the asheville area, i always speak to other humans on the trails...

i dont think you should worry about it much other than the whole first aid part. i keep a card in my camel back that has my emergency contact info, my name, ssn, allergy info and my blood type, just in case... maybe getting a dog would make you feel better? i see alot of solo females with dogs on the trails.

durtgurl

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Bluebug,
I don't check in that often, so that's why the late response.
I live west of Boulder, up in the mountains.

indra923

Chimp
Oct 16, 2004
Seems like I ride alone even if I started out with a group :p Doesn't take too long for them to figure out who is the slowest in the group. Actually I prefer riding alone - I can go at my own pace and if I happen upon a deer or something in the woods I can stop and watch until I am ready to move on. Most of the time my husband and I ride the same trails but not really together. He goes at his pace and I go mine, and we meet up along the way or at the end.