Quantcast

Riding Sunglasses

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
I'm looking to get some good sunglasses for road riding this summer. I'd like to get a pair with a single wrap lens. I've looked around a little bit, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

I'm willing to pay maybe $175 tops... but the cheaper the better. I don't know anything about different lenses, or what kinds are good for road riding.

Just as a kinda guide, I like this style... http://oakley.com/catalog/colors/eyewear/omatter/m_frame/sweep/black_grey

I'm looking for something that'll keep the wind out of my eyes, as well as blocking the sun, of which there is a lot.

Any recommendations?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
my friends and i have tried various glasses and we all seem to just gravitate back to big, cheap and comfortable.

I use orange/amber lenses, even on sunny days. They're big enough to help with sand and such, but on long 40mph descents, my contacts dry out and I have to alternate watching with one eye closed to keep 'em wet enough.

I've thought about motorcycle goggles, but dismissed that idea.

In other words, I personally don't think there's a big difference between $30 and $150 glasses.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Oakley's are pricy but you won't find a clearer lens or larger selection of tints and styles. The non iridium coated lenses are relatively scratch resistant too. Cheap sunglasses "may" not have very good UV and infrared protection but because they are dark, your pupils dilate and let in more UV and IR light, so shop carefully if you go cheap. Cheap lenses can distort you vision a fair bit too. That affects riding.

Fit is important too. Try them on with your helmet on and sitting on the bike. Get on the drops to make sure you don't end up looking over the tops of the glasses. Check the periferal vision and do a shoulder check. Doing all the things you do while riding can expose flaws or blind spots.

There are many quality eyeware manufacturers. Smith, Oakley, Rudy Project, Bolle and many others I'm sure. Pick one that fits, has the lens selection you want and proper optical clarity and protective coatings and lastly in a style and colour you dig.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
what shape face do you have? that will determine how well the Sweeps work.

personally, i absolutely love Racing Jackets. i used to think XXs were the best fitting glasses, then i got some Spys that were better. then i picked up these RJs for 50% off. wow. the Spys are good for mtb, but these RJs absolutely rule. i've been wearing Oakleys for 9yrs. the clarity their lenses offer is unmatched.

point is, try on a bunch before deciding.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Oakley never failed me!

Oakley just fits me like a mask

I have the following from Oakley

1) M Frame carbon weave with sweep lenses (blue iradium, ice, persimmon, persimmon vented, VR28 black iradium vented, high intensity yellow) 6 all together

2) Pro M frame when road riding and I use the above mentioned lense.

3) Racing Jacket blue with Fire iradium

The clarity of Oakley is superb and support here in my country is good too :thumb:

For non riding glasses, I have

1) Switch Magnesium, black with black iradium
2) X Metal XX, black with black iradium

Good luck!

neurostar

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Rochester, NY or Boise, ID
Originally posted by The Jinx
Oakley never failed me!

I have the following from Oakley

1) M Frame carbon weave with sweep lenses (blue iradium, ice, persimmon, persimmon vented, VR28 black iradium vented, high intensity yellow) 6 all together

2) Pro M frame when road riding and I use the above mentioned lense.
I'm liking that frame and lens combo. I'll have to go try 'em on next time I'm near a sunglasses place.

Originally posted by The Jinx
For non riding glasses, I have...
That's what my aviators are for. :cool:

Olyroller

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
Olympia, WA USA
my friends and i have tried various glasses and we all seem to just gravitate back to big, cheap and comfortable.

I use orange/amber lenses, even on sunny days. They're big enough to help with sand and such, but on long 40mph descents, my contacts dry out and I have to alternate watching with one eye closed to keep 'em wet enough.

I've thought about motorcycle goggles, but dismissed that idea.

In other words, I personally don't think there's a big difference between $30 and $150 glasses.
ditto

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
i like my M Frames with the Fire Iridium lenses, good for all conditions.

the gold iridium lenses work well too.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I like my half jackets better than my M frame pros. The m frames arms fit best if they are over the helmet straps so you have to take off glasses to take your helmet off each time. I think the half jackets look better than the m frames as casual wear. They also make them in two different lens shapes.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
speaking of half-jackets, i have a set of the black iridium lenses that were used 1 time if anyone wants them for like $15 shipped.

i had half-jackets (were stolen) but didn't like them as much. they're for small headed folks. i e-mailed Oakley asking if they were ever going to make something similar with a larger lens (i specifically said a cross between the half-jacket and XX) and was told no. soon after they released the half-jacket XLs.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
Originally posted by the Inbred
i e-mailed Oakley asking if they were ever going to make something similar with a larger lens (i specifically said a cross between the half-jacket and XX) and was told no. soon after they released the half-jacket XLs.
They stole your idea and called it XLs! :eek:

I guess who gave them the Medusa idea and whether anybody paid them USD$500 to wear that weirdo headgear?!

Regards
sbw

Attachments

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
they did, man!

i wonder if i still have the reply they sent me....

Oakley's shadey like that. like, apparently Racing Jacket lenses are interchangeable.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
they did, man!

i wonder if i still have the reply they sent me....

Oakley's shadey like that. like, apparently Racing Jacket lenses are interchangeable.
Do U know how to change the RJ lenses?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
nope...the girl at the O-Store told me she could switch out my lenses. i said "uh...no. they're not interchangable." she then went on to tell me that they were, and that the O-Store still did the BTO RJs. she again said they were interchangable and that it was simple, like other full-framed lenses (like Spys). i still didn't believe her so i asked to see the different lenses, to make sure they were actually RJ lenses...and they were. but i still didn't believe her. they're $40.

The Jinx

I'm an angel
Apr 22, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
nope...the girl at the O-Store told me she could switch out my lenses. i said "uh...no. they're not interchangable." she then went on to tell me that they were, and that the O-Store still did the BTO RJs. she again said they were interchangable and that it was simple, like other full-framed lenses (like Spys). i still didn't believe her so i asked to see the different lenses, to make sure they were actually RJ lenses...and they were. but i still didn't believe her. they're $40.
Hmmm...I was thinking to get a vented persimmon lenses for my RJ....that will make a good off-road riding glasses... :thumb:

I'll check with shops here!

Thanks!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I use Oakley Monster Dogs. They conform to my face like crazy, and the lenses are super clear and the entire assembly is very impact resistant. The frame is made of O-matter, a kind of plastic. They are like $89 I think, and have interchangable lenses. Be warned though, get some rubber ear piece things, because they don't come with anything, and plastic on head/ear start hurting after a bit.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Yes the lenses in Racing Jackets are interchangeable. Hole the frame facing up and gently pull the frame apart at the lens and push out one side and the lens will come right out. It gets easier the more often you do it I think because you get better at it and the frame and lens wear or stretch a bit. I have been changing mine between clear and a G 30?? lens for over a year now and everything is still peachy. And if you run hot tap water on the ear peices with the rubber removed, you can make them soft enough to bend into a better shape for your head. Hold them in the new shape until they cool, or hold them under cold tap water and they will hold that new shape. Mine were hitting my helmet making it a poor fit. Not anymore.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I ride in a pair of Frogskin 5's. they are the crystal frames with permisson lens. The had black iridium lenses at one point and I just called Oakley and ordered replacement lenses and snapped them in.