Quantcast

Riding the edge

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
A friend of mine recently had a seizure while taking Mushrooms at a Phish show. He was offered them for free. I always thought of them as rather innocuous until then. He is fucked up now. From taking shrooms.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
LSD always agreed with me more than shrooms. That story almost makes me feel the anxiety I don't think I could come back from that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
turns out nick caves son was on acid when he fell to his death.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have zero interest in hallucinogens. Frankly, they scare me.
when both my younger and older brother worked as electricians they worked with with guys who would regularly work under the influence.....yeaaaah....electricians on acid/mushrooms...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Fascinating article. I'd read Sacks before but didn't know this history. Different era.

Like 'squeeb, I don't feel that my reality needs altering. Hell, I rarely even drink, and when I do it's usually one, at most two...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Having experimented a bunch myself in years gone by, I don't think I could survive being this close to the edge.
Yeah dude's chemical use was on 10!

I was on a morphine drip for 11 days once & can vouch for expereinces like this...

Within a minute or so, my attention was drawn to a sort of commotion on the sleeve of my dressing gown, which hung on the door. I gazed intently at this, and as I did so it resolved itself into a miniature but microscopically detailed battle scene. I could see silken tents of different colors, the largest of which was flying a royal pennant. There were gaily caparisoned horses, soldiers on horseback, their armor glinting in the sun, and men with longbows. I saw pipers with long silver pipes, raising these to their mouths, and then, very faintly, I heard their piping, too. I saw hundreds, thousands of men—two armies, two nations—preparing to do battle. I lost all sense of this being a spot on the sleeve of my dressing gown, or the fact that I was lying in bed, that I was in London, that it was 1965.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
when both my younger and older brother worked as electricians they worked with with guys who would regularly work under the influence.....yeaaaah....electricians on acid/mushrooms...
I used to drive a forklift at work after tripping balls all night. Felt so precise, effecient & focused on those days. I wonder if I actaully was. :think:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yeah dude's chemical use was on 10!

I was on a morphine drip for 11 days once & can vouch for expereinces like this...

Within a minute or so, my attention was drawn to a sort of commotion on the sleeve of my dressing gown, which hung on the door. I gazed intently at this, and as I did so it resolved itself into a miniature but microscopically detailed battle scene. I could see silken tents of different colors, the largest of which was flying a royal pennant. There were gaily caparisoned horses, soldiers on horseback, their armor glinting in the sun, and men with longbows. I saw pipers with long silver pipes, raising these to their mouths, and then, very faintly, I heard their piping, too. I saw hundreds, thousands of men—two armies, two nations—preparing to do battle. I lost all sense of this being a spot on the sleeve of my dressing gown, or the fact that I was lying in bed, that I was in London, that it was 1965.
Yea. Experiences like this while I was in hospital are exactly why I have no interest in pursuing them recreationally.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yea. Experiences like this while I was in hospital are exactly why I have no interest in pursuing them recreationally.
It had the opposite effect on me, of course being dumb & 21 at the time didn't help my curiostiy & eagerness to try & recreate those experiences. Had a bordeline nasty loratab problem for months afterwards. :dead:

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Im defintetly better off now that i dont do drugs, but it was fun at the time. I regret it and dont regret it at the same time. I stand steadfast that doing lsd at buring man in 2008 after nearly 10 years of non use was a great idea! Now that changed my life.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It was the NewYorker. What did ya expect? :D
lots of words. dudes get paid by the count.

people tell me i should write a book about my recovery. every time i start, it turns into the same feeling of horribly detailed descriptions and laborious exposition and background. i bore myself before i'm on the second page. i'm sure some of it is just me not being a trained writer. some of it is liking my messages in twitter sized blips. if it isn't a Misfits-like punch-in-the-face in under 90 seconds delivery, then I find myself drifting; particularly on subjects like drug use, which have little currency in my kingdom.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Different strokes. I thought it was captivating writing, even though I don't admit I know why a spider's discourse would evoke Bertrand Russell. (I also know that I don't really care enough to find out. :D)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Is there a quick summary of the story? Dude does drugs and then discovers...?

I find it curious that people will read things about drug use like there is some great meaning. However, a story about the drunken insights from a night of swilling copious quantities Budweiser probably wouldn't merit publication in The New Yorker. A person deriving meaning from life or insights by ingesting a chemical is pointless to me. There are billions of people having experiences at this very moment. Deciding to elevate one about how "I popped a pill and had a thought, and experienced a hallucination" seems arbitrary at best.

YMMV

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I find it curious that people will read things about drug use like there is some great meaning. However, a story about the drunken insights from a night of swilling copious quantities Budweiser probably wouldn't merit publication in The New Yorker. A person deriving meaning from life or insights by ingesting a chemical is pointless to me. There are billions of people having experiences at this very moment. Deciding to elevate one about how "I popped a pill and had a thought, and experienced a hallucination" seems arbitrary at best.
if you've read a PSP thread recently, no need to bother with the articlew

YMMV
It would help if you had read some of the many insightful books and articles Dr. Sachs wrote during his lifetime. He was a neurologist, with his writing focused on the nature and experience of many neural afflictions.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It would help if you had read some of the many insightful books and articles Dr. Sachs wrote during his lifetime. He was a neurologist, with his writing focused on the nature and experience of many neural afflictions.
So is this article a scholarly dissertation on the benefits of ingestion of controlled doses of specific substances for the management of certain disorders?

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I ingest cannabis daily. It helps remind me that daily life is not just a series of tasks. It reminds me I need to slow down and appreciate what I have. Trivial things aren't noticed and my overall flow is improved (dealing with life obstacles, navigating rush hour traffic, even my riding).

So......

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LSD always agreed with me more than shrooms. That story almost makes me feel the anxiety I don't think I could come back from that.
Not something I would generally discuss in public but I must say that I have a special place in my heart for shrooms. The stress and anxiety are all part of it. Can't say that it was always fun but always positive. I'm not talking about consuming massive amounts to bring on sensory hallucinations, but enough to have deeply introspective moments and frank interpretations of life's experiences. Sometimes that isn't much fun, but at the end of the day a valuable experience.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Some of the most technical rockclimbing I have ever done was while flying on mushrooms. The moves seemed so obvious, my balance so precise. I was completely in the "moment". I went back months later to the same climbs straight and i couldn't even get though the first moves. Acid....shit got too weird metling walls, blood pumping though wood grain. sex on Peyote on a summers night in the desert very very nice, Spearfishing stoned on pot Night dives on Mushrooms with phophorescence off San Clemete Island spectacular...... all that ended 34 years ago though

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2015
Marked for later.

The notion that alcohol and psychedelics provide similar experiences is laughable to me, but everyone has their own perspective.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have never done shrooms.

<edit> But there were skate tricks I could pull only when tripping balls, though. If I could visualize the trick mechanics, I could pull it off, no matter how insane it seemed the next day.