Quantcast

Riding the Sunday Model C @ 45yo

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Anyone out there riding the new Sunday Model C? I've had one now for a couple of weeks and couldn't be more stoked! Love to hear some feedback on it and see if your thoughts are the same as mine. I am 45 years old and this bike has me thinking I can ride well into my 50's.

Here's a shot of me hitting some of the biggest jumps I have ever ridden yesterday. I wouldn't have had the balls to hit these unless I felt as good as I did on this new bike.

Last edited:

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Nice! I almost bought a model c but I decided to get a 20". I am 40, you are doing great! Keep it up.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Damn that is solid style and boost no matter what age. I'm in the old man bracket myself (38) and just take it year by year, ride by ride. I was the oldest at a little jam at some trails this weekend and while I wasn't riding the big sh!t I was certainly having fun. Dolecki was at the trails too and I think he's pretty well into his thirties and can keep up with anyone getting thru stuff and then blow them away with pure style. But that's Dolecki - he's like BF but can take sick pics too.

Love the pic - big motivation for me to keep at it and keep trying.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Jon, what MTB were you riding ?

Tell us about your riding background and history

Loved riding a bike as a kid. I go way back to the Schwinn Stingray days. Raced BMX for one year when I was 12 in the late 70’s. Moved on to racing motocross after that. Raced professionally from age 15 to 18. Quit after too many injuries. Haven’t even owned a motorcycle since. Surfed competitively until my daughter was born at age 27 and my son was born 15 months after that. Life changed at that point and I basically didn’t do anything except get fat and out of shape. Priorities had changed and it was time to invest in my family. When my son was 10 years old, he became interested in BMX. It had been 27 years since I even owned a bike! But, I couldn’t just sit there and watch my son ride so I decided to buy a BMX cruiser and we started racing together. We raced on and off for 3 or so years until my son kind of lost interested in the racing and was moving on to dirt jumping and park riding. Again, not wanting to sit on the sidelines I began to ride with him at the skate parks and the local dirt jumps. Now addicted to riding we have been riding consistently for about 3 years. I love the fact that my son and I have this common bond. My 16-year-old son and I truly love to ride together! It’s something I thank God for everyday!

So, how did you hear about the Model C?

I think it was watching the Interbike videos on vitalbmx and you mentioned it. Then went to your site and saw your promo video. I was so pumped after watching that, I thought, finally someone is thinking of me! Age 45, addicted to riding and trying to figure out how to keep riding and progressing in this sport.

What bike were you riding before this?

I have been searching for a bike that I can feel comfortable on for the last couple of years. Tried riding a 20” but just could never feel very comfortable on it and because of that I would have to ride really conservatively. Riding at age 45 is all about being confident and comfortable with the bike you’re riding. Tried riding a cruiser but the race geometry sucked for riding park. Finally settled for a hardtail MTB that I could set up to ride more like a BMX bike. Felt a little like and outcast hanging with all the BMXers but at least I felt comfortable and was able to push myself to progress. I have never even been mountain biking! I am a BMXer but yet I was stuck on a MTB.

Had you seen a Model C in person before you bought one?

Only saw it on your video but knew instantly that was the bike for me!

When you first built it up and before you rode it, what were your initial thoughts?

Wow! This actually looks cool. Maybe I won’t look like such a dork at the skate park!

Ok, so I imagine you rode it around the driveway when you first got it built, what were your thoughts then?

From my first couple of pedals on the street in front of my house, I knew my searching was over! I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but it is really true. Riding at age 45 is all about confidence. Finally I felt I might have a bike here that will keep me progressing well into my 50’s!

You said you took it to the skate park the first night, how did it feel riding ramps on it?

I have ridden so many different bikes and there has always been a learning curve. From my first manual, launch out of a quarter, riding fake to hitting the box jump, everything felt so good and comfortable. There was no time at all getting used to it. One week now of riding it and I feel like my riding has already improved.

Did it you constantly compare the differences between your MTB DJ and the Model C every time you took a run on it?

I stopped thinking about my MTB completely on day one. Posted it on craigslist after my first night at the skate park. Still haven’t found a buyer. Know anyone interested? Haha…

To you is it more MTB or more BMX?

Jim, I truly loved my MTB because it allowed me to progress in the sport. But, it was a MTB and not a BMX. The Model C is all BMX!

What were people’s reactions when you showed up on a Model C?

Not that this really matters to me at age 45 but everyone instantly loved it and made comments on how awesome it looked. Suddenly I felt cool and not so much like an outcast.

Did everyone want to try it out right away? Or were people somewhat hesitant and reluctant?

Funny you should ask. Everyone wanted to try it!!! Being the friendly guy I am, much of my first night riding was spent watching all the little guys kill it on my bike.