Quantcast

Riding this weekend...

rideout

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
Asheville
I am fairly new to the DH/Freeride scene. Are there any places to ride lift accessed trails that are open this weekend in NC? I emailed beech, and they are closed.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Sugar may still be open but you have to ride their 30 minute lift for less than 5 minutes of DH and they only have one trail (though be it a good one). My advice is to plan a trip to Snowshoe or find some people to shuttle with.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am fairly new to the DH/Freeride scene. Are there any places to ride lift accessed trails that are open this weekend in NC? I emailed beech, and they are closed.
ignore Kenan. He just got back from a trip to Whistler and is a bit on the elitist trip. There's plenty around to shuttle. Someone will chime in and help you out. :thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
ignore Kenan. He just got back from a trip to Whistler and is a bit on the elitist trip. There's plenty around to shuttle. Someone will chime in and help you out. :thumb:
How exactly was my post "elitist"? He asked if anyone had lift accessed riding available and I answered him.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
sugar is closed for the season.we are running the lifts oct 10th and 11th for octoberfest.there are plenty of trails in western nc that are shuttle friendly. we ride every monday in wilson creek. you are more than welcome to join us.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
I'm with Kenan...I don't even ride my dh bike anymore unless its to class. All the shuttling in the area is best on a trail bike. Butch...it's not being elitist...it's being real. If you want to ride dh, go to Windrock, one of the northern resorts, or head west! I would check and see if people are riding Windrock this weekend. Hopefully someday soon we can have lift access trails in the area that everyone can ride and enjoy! Til then, it is what it is...

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I'm with Kenan...I don't even ride my dh bike anymore unless its to class. All the shuttling in the area is best on a trail bike. Butch...it's not being elitist...it's being real. If you want to ride dh, go to Windrock, one of the northern resorts, or head west! I would check and see if people are riding Windrock this weekend. Hopefully someday soon we can have lift access trails in the area that everyone can ride and enjoy! Til then, it is what it is...
I thought it was because you totally mastered all the DH trails in the area...oh wait...

If you spent as much time trying to improve the riding scene here as you do talking about how much better it is out west we might have some more stuff going. Instead you leave every summer and didn't even support any of the Beech mountain races that went down when you were here. We had 4 races in the high country this summer...on top of that, you did about 2 runs last time we were at windrock, and complained about how you didn't even have any fun riding snowshoe last weekend.

Sounds like someone needs to sell their DH bike or move to whistler...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you spent as much time trying to improve the riding scene here as you do talking about how much better it is out west we might have some more stuff going.
Not to get in a typical south forum piss match, but dsapp totally salvaged a working man's vacation by showing us around Wilson's Creek when others didn't. For that, dsapp did a LOT for the riding scene around here and he's welcome at Windrock to do 1 run, 10 runs, or no runs. I hope to see him at the fall fest so I can buy him a beer. :thumb:

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Thanks Doug! I can't wait to get out to Windrock again, I'm planning on rolling out to the fall fest for sure! Last time I was there I only got to do a couple runs, the shoulder was aching being it was one of the first times back on the bike...no point in wrecking it again when it wasn't strong enough to ride! Hopefully you can make it out our way again sometime soon so we can get back out in the forest! That was one of the best/most fun rides i've had out there in a good while!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
No doubt. We certainly enjoyed the ride. That route is one of my top 5 rides for sure. However I have been finding some good, albeit unknown, point to points over my way that are worth checking out.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'm with Kenan...I don't even ride my dh bike anymore unless its to class. ...
to class? The honeys must really dig that 8 inches:think:.

All the shuttling in the area is best on a trail bike. Butch...it's not being elitist...it's being real. If you want to ride dh, go to Windrock, one of the northern resorts, or head west! ... Til then, it is what it is...
You two should buy a condo together.:rofl:

I've been riding DH here for 15+ years and I'm just learning from DSapp that I have no clue. I guess I'll sell my bike since there are no lifts. What was I thinking? All 130+ riders at Hawksnest are going to have to sell their DH bikes too and buy AM bikes to shuttle with from now on. :rolleyes:

If Jeremy sees this thread, there's comedy gold headed your way.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Butch - you still haven't pointed out how my original post was "elitist." Call me out on my sh!t if you wish but at least back it up with something. I don't know how you can argue that there are NO lift accessed trails currently available in NC.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Butch - you still haven't pointed out how my original post was "elitist." Call me out on my sh!t if you wish but at least back it up with something. I don't know how you can argue that there are NO lift accessed trails currently available in NC.
I hate the intenet. If I were standing in front of you, this "argument" would never happen. I'm just giving you crap and being my usual random self.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hey Kenan,
If Butch, Michael Vick, and a veal farmer fell into a fire pit, in what order would you pull them out? :rofl:
You forgot Kenan's favorite flamed broiled meat:

Is this hypothetical before or after he formally files a grievance against the 3 of us for our actions with an obscure online consumer watchdog site? :clue:

rideout

Chimp
Sep 15, 2009
Asheville
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered shuttle runs as i'll most likely be flying solo this weekend.

What are the details about Windrock? Isn't that a atv/off-road place?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
What are the details about Windrock? Isn't that a atv/off-road place?
Yes, its an OHV. But we have about 10 bike specific DH trails ranging from 5-10 minutes and some ranging from 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you go. The locals usually shuttle Sundays. However this weekend is starting to look real wet.