Quantcast

Riding vs Gym

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
so i'm curious in other's routines...if you have a week where you are getting a lot of riding in...do you also add a day or two of lower body weight training?

i typically have gone to the gym for both cardio and weights, but now that i'm riding i definitely feel it in my legs when i ride. AND i'm usually out there 1.5 - 2 hours each any time i ride...so i am getting my cardio.

i continue to go to the gym 1 - 2x for upper body weight training and core training.

the one time i DID a lower body training session, the next day i went for a ride and found it not only a little harder to ride, but my legs were sore for much longer of a time. should i push myself like that and eventually the pain will diminish...or let the ride be my leg session?

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
It depends.

My usual routines have me running every other day, and every third day of that I'm riding - unless I overextended myself in the previous session, in which case I sub riding for running as a low-impact alternative.

If you're seriously working a muscle, it's always a good idea to give it a day of rest before you work it again. Also consider post-exercise stretching to prevent it from being sore in the first place.

I'd need to know more about your leg routine and general fitness level to make a more definitive answer.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
It depends.

My usual routines have me running every other day, and every third day of that I'm riding - unless I overextended myself in the previous session, in which case I sub riding for running as a low-impact alternative.

If you're seriously working a muscle, it's always a good idea to give it a day of rest before you work it again. Also consider post-exercise stretching to prevent it from being sore in the first place.

I'd need to know more about your leg routine and general fitness level to make a more definitive answer.

a regular leg routine would be leg curls and extensions at 90 lbs, leg adductors/abductors at 110 lbs and leg press at 160 lbs. those represent weights the last time i did a leg session which was last week. typically i will increase weights every 2 -4 weeks.

as for my general fitness, i'd say i'm moderately fit working on becoming lean. Definitely still need to lose about 30-40 lbs to be at my optimum weight.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I wish we had bought the spin bike four months ago.
You can come to Bend and pick up mine!

I still go to the gym during riding season, but I never do that much lower body stuff because almost all of it hurts my knee. I do some straightleg deadlifts regularly, a tiny bit of upper body, lots of stability ball work stuff and core.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
straightleg deadlifts
Good on you! When done correctly, I have found that SL deadlifts do wonders for my back and hamstrings. Single leg deadlifts are also a great way to build unilateral strength, which is the basis of pedaling and running.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I never work my legs in the gym. I go 2 times a week or so and do core and upper body work. I don't like to go more than 2-3 days without at least a brief stomach routine, so I sometimes do that at home to supplement gym time if I can only get there once a week. I live in a temperate area (SF) so it's pretty much always riding season. My time is pretty tight and when I can make it to the gym I like to focus on things that don't get enough attention from riding alone.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
lately i've been doing mostly core and upper body work, with a bit of lower body mixed in as well. i definitely have noticed that the day after doing a leg workout my legs are a bit more tired, but i just try and keep my pace at what it normally is. it's painful, but it's definitely helped me improve in the long run.

my best advice is to go what you are comfortable with. i'm trying to get in shape for bmx racing, so i'm willing to push myself fairly hard right now.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I always thought it funny how spin workouts always felt so much harder than just riding. So I tried monitoring my heart rate and I was dying at 150-160 in the gym. Then on the road I could ride at 170-180 and felt fine. Even mountain biking at 170+ felt fine. Also in the gym I could only last an hour or so before I was spent. Outside I can ride for 4+ hours no problem. Plus, I never really saw an increase in fitness after spinning. Now a road ride is very noticeable. Last summer I was feeling a bit weak climbing the trails so I decided to throw in a quick one hour road ride. The very next day I saw a HUGE improvement in my climbing. I went spinning several times this winter and my spring fitness level didn't seem any different then when I did nothing. That doesn't make sense does it?

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
I always thought it funny how spin workouts always felt so much harder than just riding. So I tried monitoring my heart rate and I was dying at 150-160 in the gym. Then on the road I could ride at 170-180 and felt fine. Even mountain biking at 170+ felt fine. Also in the gym I could only last an hour or so before I was spent. Outside I can ride for 4+ hours no problem. Plus, I never really saw an increase in fitness after spinning. Now a road ride is very noticeable. Last summer I was feeling a bit weak climbing the trails so I decided to throw in a quick one hour road ride. The very next day I saw a HUGE improvement in my climbing. I went spinning several times this winter and my spring fitness level didn't seem any different then when I did nothing. That doesn't make sense does it?
on the same line of thinking...a friend of mine in texas has been giving me suggestions on losing weight and he said he finds that road riding helps him lose weight FAR quicker than trail riding because it's "steady". i don't get that really...cause i don't see anything steady about riding up and down hills on a road.

but with all that said i'm still not keen on riding road.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
on the same line of thinking...a friend of mine in texas has been giving me suggestions on losing weight and he said he finds that road riding helps him lose weight FAR quicker than trail riding because it's "steady". i don't get that really...cause i don't see anything steady about riding up and down hills on a road.

but with all that said i'm still not keen on riding road.
Yea, road riding is a better aerobic workout than mountain biking. Mountain biking is a better strength workout. It requires less power to keep you moving on a road bike so it is a more consistent ride. Plus, with no obstacles in the way you never have to stop spinning. Also, the hills tend to be much longer and not as steep on the road as on the trail.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I feel the burn at the gym after riding a couple hours, and i also feel the burm after riding trails for an hour or two. i just prefer being outside on the trail, rather than sitting on a bike that is not properly sized reading magazines. but thats just me.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Are we talking about endurance of weight loss? Each goal is accomplished in a much different manner.

Endurance namely results from doing the specific activity, and a lot of it. Lung capacity doesn't mean squat if you haven't spent a ton of time on the bike. Lance Armstrong has great lung capacity, but he can't run a great mary time unless he spends a ton of time running.

Weight loss is BEST accomplished from high-intensity interval training or from strength training. Basically, sprint on the bike or while running, or hit the weights hard.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Weight loss is BEST accomplished from high-intensity interval training or from strength training. Basically, sprint on the bike or while running, or hit the weights hard.
i always understood that you need BOTH for successful weight loss. i've never heard that hittin the weights alone would result in weight loss.

currently i do both in my weight loss quest...but i have been finding that if i do weights for my legs and want to ride the next day...that ride isn't as easy as normal.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
i always understood that you need BOTH for successful weight loss. i've never heard that hittin the weights alone would result in weight loss.

currently i do both in my weight loss quest...but i have been finding that if i do weights for my legs and want to ride the next day...that ride isn't as easy as normal.
HIIT cardio and strength training is, in my opinion, the best combo. After all, we are cyclists, not dedicated gym rats. If you can get your HR up by doing both activities, by all means keep it up. I love to do sprints after my rides, be it riding or running.

Agreed on the riding the day after lifting. I find that it's tough to do if I have been inconsistent with my gym time. The more often I'm in the gym, the better (worse?) my body has adapted and I find I can ride somewhat okay the day after.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
oh man---you ride the day after doing squats!!!??
you sir, are hardcore

me, i can barely get up the stairs to my apartment the day after some good squats, nuts to riding! this is what i have found works for me:
in the riding offseason, i generally put on about 10-20lbs or so. this is also the ideal time to bulk up with muscle. so i hit the gym hard and lift hard. i don't lift a lot of heavy weights ala idiot powerlifters. what i do is either a timed rep, or more frequently i'll superset everything with less rest between sets.

for instance, i'm a pretty big guy---my max bench was 345 2 years ago. now, i bench 5 sets of 12 at 135lbs, after each of these sets i then do a set of 12 with barbells. this will give you a great muscle building workout---and at the same burn a lot of calories since your heart rate is sky high. for particularly grueling excercises (i.e. squats, deadlifts), instead of a superset i'll do some incline situps between sets.

come riding season---i tone it down a lot. the last thing i want is to hurt my shoulder and not ride! i simply go to the gym these months just to maintain what i've done all year, and keep my body in good riding shape.

but--you have to find what works for you!
if you want, i'd be more than happy to give you my routine, and for weight loss----it all starts with your diet

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
well i have been watching what i eat, going to the gym atleast 3-5x a week and riding usually 3x a week. i've been doing this for about 2-3 months...i have noticed that i am getting stronger (ie weights have been able to increase) but i have only lost about 7 lbs and don't notice anything in my clothing. it's rather frustrating to say the least. especially since i've already lost 70lbs a few years back. weight loss is not new to me but i after my divorce i gained about 25 back and am having a REAL difficult time getting back to where i was predivorce. the only thing i can think of is that perhaps the stress of my relocation coming is keeping me from shedding pounds. and hopefully once i get to texas and can finally relax and settle in...that maybe the weight will start to come off. if nothing else i know i'll be increasing my riding to 3-5x a week with all the influence of people and trails.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Thankfully (unfortunately?) I cannot do straight squats. I experience some rounding of the lower back before my thighs reach parallel. Based on some quick testing, it looks to be tight hammies. As it stands, my billateral quad exercise is the split lunge. It's okay, though I much more enjoy lunges and walking lunges. Haha, don't get me wrong, I DEFINITELY take it easy at the gym if I ride the next day. Nothing feels worse than sucking wind on the trail with your best buds.

I have always been lean at 5'11" and ~160 pounds; experienced caliper users have put my BF % in the single digits. w3rd. Unfortunately I was very ill a few weeks back and lost a ton of weight. After a week of eating, my weight was around 145, about 20 pounds less than what it was. The Fat American Diet has me at about 155 right now, not too bad.

My normal program is based off Coach Dos's Power Training Book. It is what you make of it, but it's biased towards building strength for the athlete. Each workout contains a power movement and a combination of uni- and bilateral exercises (each major muscle group has a uni and bi lift over the course of 4 days/workouts). I absolutely loved the way the program felt. I hope to be back in the gym in another 3 to 4 weeks.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
The best cardio is interval training, it increases your VO2max more than anything. And it actually is also the best fat burn workout. As for leg lifting I personally do 1-2 days a week just legs. I usually like to jump on a spinning bike after I do my leg workout and do an easy 30-45min ride keeping 105rpm. When I do that my legs don't get sore. This is in the off season though, I usually don't hit the gym too hard when DH races start. This off season I got my squats(to the ground squats) from doing 3 sets 15 reps w/ 150lbs to 5 sets 20 reps w/ 205lbs. I am obviously more concerned with my anerobic leg strength for dh racing.

This past season I weight lifted a different body group everyday and sunday's were rest days. Also cardio every other day. Did that October through Feburary. Then started to decrease my lifting and moving into plyometrics and explosion workouts.

Only annoying think about this is gyms are boring and you have to be around dumb meat heads lol. I would always go at 6am so I wouldnt have to deal with anyone, you also burn fat 300% more efficiently in the am before you eat breakfast. Gym 5-6 times a week for only 45min isnt too bad though, just do all your cardio outside on a bike or running, much more fun.

But basically riding will not substitute for a leg lifting workout you can do when it comes to adding power and strength.

I would personally recommend the 40/40/20 diet regiment. It's not really a diet per say but more how you should just always eat. Thats what I have been doing for the past year with my working out too. I am 6ft 175lbs and around 9% body fat if my calipers are correct lol. http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bodybuilding-supplements-guides/diet-and-nutrition-guide-1.htm it is very easy to follow.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC

Yup, it's true. It's because your body is producing more muscle which in turn helps speed up your metabolic rate. But its not as efficient as doing cardio or intervals too.

I think it took me a sold month into leg lifting before i started to not be sore for 1-2 days after i would work out. Definitely stretch A LOT before and after. And hold the stretches for like 60 seconds. I have also found that when i do a hard leg workout day, jumping on one of the gym bikes and riding helps loosen my legs up as i said in above post.

2xplosive

Chimp
May 23, 2008
weight loss is mostly structured by a good diet. If you ask many professional fitness figures they will say its 90% diet and 10% workouts(cardio/lifting).

but a mix of cardio, lifting, and eating right will result in a strong, healthy and lean body.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
so i'm curious in other's routines...if you have a week where you are getting a lot of riding in...do you also add a day or two of lower body weight training?

i typically have gone to the gym for both cardio and weights, but now that i'm riding i definitely feel it in my legs when i ride. AND i'm usually out there 1.5 - 2 hours each any time i ride...so i am getting my cardio.

i continue to go to the gym 1 - 2x for upper body weight training and core training.

the one time i DID a lower body training session, the next day i went for a ride and found it not only a little harder to ride, but my legs were sore for much longer of a time. should i push myself like that and eventually the pain will diminish...or let the ride be my leg session?

Let the ride be your leg session, go for upper body in the gym the next day while your legs recover. If you are still really sore the day after your workout, you need to let that part of your body heal before going at it again.

You put yourself at a higher risk of injury when you train while still very sore.

I'm a nationally certified athletic trainer.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I do not work the lower body during bike season. I like my legs to stay fresh for riding. Leg workouts are saved for the winter.
WInter? What's that?
:D

I used to do some leg stuff at the gym and it would help quite a bit.
Inclinded legg press... 300 to 350 lbs, 3 sets of 30. Gave me the power for those out of the saddle steep climbs.
:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When it starts getting cold and rainy, inside the gym I am like, "I'm not going to get hit by car"

thanza

Chimp
Aug 20, 2009
Tally Nasty, Fl
I know for myself, I normally do 3x a week weightlifting in which I do spilts; Chest/tris and also do either stationary bike/run for about 20-30mins, Shoulders/bi's and the same cardio, and then leg's with some lower back and ab routines and then some light cardio, but I only ride about twice maybe three times a week. I also try to keep my intake of protein, carbs, and all the other wonderful essential vitamins fairly high. Oh, by the way, STRETCH, it truly does make a difference.