Quantcast

riding with a bent damper piston on a 40

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Thread title explains itself. I want to go ride today and I want to go ride next weekend. I just pulled apart my 40 after it blew and discovered a bent damper shaft (htf does that happen btw? shouldn't that be pretty much impossible unless the chassis itself gives way?). How terrible of an idea is it go to ride - if you don't know enough to tell me why its a bad idea, then you probably don't need to tell me its a bad idea. I'm wondering whats gonna happen if I put two days of riding on it before I get it fixed, either with a new shaft or an avy cart.

Do I just have to worry about blowing the bladder again? and if the bladder goes, stop riding? is there a risk of chassis damage without the bladder going? I expect a fair amount of stiction but at least I can ride with that, right?

Any takers?

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Does the shaft bind when you cycle it? If not (or just a little), then I say F it, go shred. If it's already broken, and you're gonna send it back to the factory then the cost is the same to you.

You're probably gonna have a pogo-stick of a front-end though. I've ridden a 40 with a 'blown' bladder (they call it 'cavitation') and it was bearable. Definitely not fun, but good enough to get me through a weekend trip. Chassis damage is a non-issue.

Hope this helps?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Does the shaft bind when you cycle it? If not (or just a little), then I say F it, go shred. If it's already broken, and you're gonna send it back to the factory then the cost is the same to you.

You're probably gonna have a pogo-stick of a front-end though. I've ridden a 40 with a 'blown' bladder (they call it 'cavitation') and it was bearable. Definitely not fun, but good enough to get me through a weekend trip. Chassis damage is a non-issue.

Hope this helps?
Its not broken, just bent, and it doesn't bind, just pretty bad stiction. I went and rode today, and while it wasn't a pogo stick, it was close, and pretty rough. Still though, you pretty much described it to a t, and I'll get it fixed up asap.