Quantcast

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It takes a couple of weeks to work its way to the east coast.
That kinda makes sense. I'll have to check it out, never had any.

Ever find a line on the Maui-Stone Coconut Porter? I'll reiterate my offer to send you a 6er if you can't find it on the east coast.

Drinking a Storm King now. One of my top couple beers ever for sure. I love this stuff.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
^ i haven't had stone levitation yet big mike but i'll check it out . tonight's beverage of choice is sam adams octoberfest .

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
i can't find it in my area . dodgers start the come back tonight and win the n.l.c.s.
:confused:

You bastards in CA get every little SN offering, but you can't find Bigfoot? I don't buy that. It's all over the place in Connecticut, and Connecticut sucks at beer.

BTW, the Bigfoot is an awesome barleywine. I can't wait for the new batch.

And where the cock is Celebration Ale? :mad:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mojo IPA

I see that Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout is out for '09. I'll be stopping on my way home from work tomorrow, methinks. No longer in six packs though...only in four packs. Same price per bottle though. Ten bucks for a sixer of a tasty 10% beer was a pretty good deal.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I love beer.
:rofl:

Had the Speedway and a couple of the Dogfish Head 90 minutes last night. The 90 min wasn't new to me, and it was, as always, awesome. Kinda expensive, particularly on the west coast, but it's damn good. The Speedway was new to me, and was also superb, though probably not really worth $11 for a 750ml bottle. A reasonable amount of coffee flavor, but not overpowering and with plenty else going on as well. Nice.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
last night....
Sprecher Abbey Triple
Sprecher Oktoberfest (got a 1/4 bbl.)
HB Oktoberfest

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
A bottle of Kortegast

Interesting story behind the stuff..... and I'm quite liking this drop so far, going to be a summer fave for me I think.

Paul McGurk and his crew from Christchurch's Wigram Brewing Co unveiled a limited-release Kortegast Sparkling Ale - brewed in an Irish red ale style - to celebrate their discovery of wild hops on the West Coast.

This is a bit of a shaggy beer story, but in the mid-1860s Kortegasts Brewery operated on the banks of the Hokitika River, brewing porter, ale - and cordials. Brewery principal WCJ Kortegast was quite an entrepreneur and in the 1880s also established his own hop gardens at Arthurstown - which in the 120 years since have quietly survived, growing wild.

McGurk was alerted to the presence of the surviving hops from some gnarled old Coasters during an expedition there to collect rimu and manuka for his unique flagship (and occasionally undrinkable) Captain Cook Spruce Beer.

He led a team of residents in a recovery exercise in March, which turned into something of a traditional hop harvest, in which enough hops were collected for about 5000 litres of beer. McGurk had the hops analysed by HortResearch, in Riwaka, who reported they were of European origin, but with no variety of their type within the current gene pool.

Roots from the hops - they are an aromatic variety - are now being analysed for breeding purposes.

Meanwhile McGurk studied his West Coast brewing history - Monteith's will celebrate their 140th birthday down there later this month - and paid tribute to WCJ Kortegast.

Why a sparkling red ale?

"It was something they brewed in the old days, and we needed a historic link, particularly with so many Kortegast descendants still around," McGurk said.

"But it was also important to have something the Coasters like - Coasters don't like to be ripped off - and the market is all about drinking and enjoying beer."

McGurk brewed 1200 litres of sparkling ale, filtered and a lighter colour than, say, Murphy's Red Ale.

A launch was set for happy hour at the Kaniere Hotel in Hokitika last Friday, with complimentary drinks for all those who took part in the hop harvest.

But in true coast tradition, McGurk was caught in a bad-weather road closure at Arthur's Pass, and it was delayed 24 hours, though he reported the beer was nonetheless eventually well received.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Wife and I spent $85 at Beer*Mart today or various bottles. We'll be cracking into those as soon as our friends arrive (4:00ish).

I also snagged a 12'er of Celebration Ale. :monkeydance:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle

PNJ's Lagunitas IPA clone*. I just racked to secondary so it's room temp (60ish) and flat. but damm, it's tastey. I'll dry hop a few days before I bottle. This was a "no chill" beer as well.