Quantcast

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Had my first Pliny the Elder this weekend, in a bottle. Was not impressed. Tasted nothing like the "clone" recipe I brewed (which was outstanding). Not a whole lot of flavor, though it was a fairly smooth drinking beer, and not the hop aroma I was hoping for.

Maybe an old bottle that a lot of the hop flavor had dissipated from?

:think:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Had an Abita Turbodog while listening to some live tunes at the new local wine/beer/cheese/game meat/cigar specialty store. Home now and about to tap into a fresh bottle of Gaffi Pinot Noir.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Small disaster last night- the Darlinghurst Local had run out of about half of the stuff on their menu, including Rex Attitude and the chipotle stout. :(

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Saturday night - Abita Turbodog for me and Woodchuck Granny Smith Cider for the gal.

by FLWill, on Flickr

Sunday - Mimosas

by FLWill, on Flickr

First time trying the Turbodog. It tastes like a light porter to me. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Had my first Pliny the Elder this weekend, in a bottle. Was not impressed. Tasted nothing like the "clone" recipe I brewed (which was outstanding). Not a whole lot of flavor, though it was a fairly smooth drinking beer, and not the hop aroma I was hoping for.

Maybe an old bottle that a lot of the hop flavor had dissipated from?

:think:
Probably an old bottle. All the bottles I've gotten up here in the PNW have been bottled, at most, a month earlier and have been spectacular. And a keg around here, at any bar/shop lucky enough to get one, doesn't last any longer than the amount of time to empty the keg by keeping the tap on full open.

Last edited:

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
After a nice dusk ride I had a couple Magic Hat Wacko summer seasonal. Not too shabby.

Now I'm sipping on some vino rosso before calling it a night.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Friday night so far I've had;
Hallertau Maximus,
Yeastie Boys "Fools gold" on tap
Yeastie Boys "Fools gold" on hand pump had them back to back to taste the difference.... Hand pump for the win easily!!!!!
Yeastie boys "Prime alpha male" IPA
And now a nightcap of Schneider Weisse Unser Aventinus. :)

Going back into work on Saturday morning is going to suck. :(

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Emerson's limited release Dunkelweiss.
Mmm its gooood! :drool::cheers:
The last year and a half Richard has been making some cracking good special brews!!! :D

And in other news, I just signed on the dotted line, I'm now going to be one of the exhibitors at Beervana this year, just booked in to have a stall..... Pricey but the exposure for my beer makes it worth it. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That event RULES. Get your tickets early...
I plan on it. I'm an American Homebrewers Association member so I get in on the pre-sale, and the chance to buy tickets to a special Saturday session.

It'll be a short trip - just a few days and we're visiting friends out there - but as it gets a bit closer I'd be psyched to see if I could organize a monkey lunch or something.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Had a James Squire Porter with lunch. It was OK.

*maybe* going out for beerz tonight. I've been lead to believe that the local specialty beer joint has some new selections that need tasting. :cheers: