Quantcast

Rigid Fork? Stupid Idea?

Old_Dude

Monkey
Regarding the coverage of the TransRockies 385 mile mountain bike race, Mountain Bike magazine, Jan '03 issue, page 51:
" . . . we were getting clobbered by one of the mixed teams, as well as the Czech contingent, who were riding on completely rigid bikes . . . They ultimately finished second overall."
So, what are we to learn from the Czech team riding fully rigid mountain bikes? They used these bikes because they were lighter? More reliable? Why?

This really got me thinking again about going with a rigid fork up front. Besides loosing ~2.2 pounds, what other advantages or disadvantages will I experience from getting a rigid fork? Could using a large tire (a wide tire - like a downhill tire?) on the front help make up for the lack of suspension?

Again, I'm not planning on entering races - I'm just a recreational rider who uses this bike also for road use (again, another advantage of going with a rigid fork). I used to ride for years on a fully rigid bike - everyone did & somehow, we still managed to have fun. Go figure.

Thanks,

OD

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
rigid fork negatives,
certain bumps at high speeds can cause so much pain its impossible to hold on to the handlebar.
require more concentration and ability to read the trail/pick lines.

rigid fork positives,
less weight.
increased feel of what you are riding over.
requires more skill in certain areas so could make you a better rider.
minor scratches don't cause high costs and time to fix
they don't wear out leak, creak or flex a lot.

A large tyre will make a difference and you don't want to pump it up too high, I tend to use 40psi on my rigid bike.

Old_Dude

Monkey
certain bumps at high speeds can cause so much pain its impossible to hold on to the handlebar.
:eek: I've never had this problem - maybe I wasn't going fast enough or maybe I didn't encounter massive obstacles to roll/bump over?

This fork weighs only 795 grams (~1.75 pounds) - that's dropping the weight of my bike by almost 3 pounds! That's a big difference, eh?

How long is your average ride? How rough is the terrain?

I enjoy riding a full rigid (light, simple, responsive, blah blah...) but endos are more common and after three or four hours on rough terrain it gets real painful. In a 24 hour race it gets really painful towards the end. As the arms and legs tire, the brain gets rattled around like seeds in a gourd and it hurts.

J

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Old_Dude
Gee - what a pretty fork . . . I wonder who makes it . . . wait, there's an "I" on the fork . . . must be IRC . . . guess tires aren't the only thing they do well, eh Indie?
:D sorry had to do it. but seriously it's an extremely nice fork. the reason why many small companies when putting a rigid fork on their bikes choose that one....every moots cx bike comes stock w/ an IF cross fork n so do many other companies.....

Old_Dude

Monkey
I'll say one thing . . . you sure don't sit on the fence when it comes to brand (sponsor) loyalty . . . & that's respectable if not overdone (I had to throw in that last bit to satisfy Yossarian - someday I might be able to catch him - you, on the other hand would be utterly impossible)

I'll check out the IF rigid fork, but right now, I'm leaning towards an Answer Skareb (?) - at just under $250/3.5 it seems like a low-maintenance, decent performing solution within my budget.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'll say one thing . . . you sure don't sit on the fence when it comes to brand (sponsor) loyalty . . . & that's respectable if not overdone (I had to throw in that last bit to satisfy Yossarian - someday I might be able to catch him - you, on the other hand would be utterly impossible)

I'll check out the IF rigid fork, but right now, I'm leaning towards an Answer Skareb (?) - at just under $250/3.5 it seems like a low-maintenance, decent performing solution within my budget.
:D you can catch me if you want to! and if i were i'd check out the skareb. i think for the riding you are going to be doing i think going rigid might be a bad idea. rigid forks require a LOT of attention, fu/ck off for just a second and pop something you are going straight over the bars!! buying an IF fork would be cool, they are damn strong, and they've got the testing to prove it. straight bladed steel forks offer a good bit of dampening but are still stiff as shiet when it comes to side to side forces. but like i said for you this wouldn't be such a great idea... snatch the skareb. oh btw meeting up w/ the dirty girls on saturday morning to ride carters lake you up to the task?

Old_Dude

Monkey
oh btw meeting up w/ the dirty girls on saturday morning to ride carters lake you up to the task?
No - that's the third invitation I've had for Saturday - already turned down riding & deer hunting (doe's are in season now - yeah, c'mon!!!) - we're having our annual Christmas family get-together on Saturday (the only day my cousin could be there - but that's okay, because she's a surgeon & the rest of us are just "normal slobs" :rolleyes: ). Besides, I could just see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I'm going to go ride with the dirty girls from Alabama. She'd snap up the iron skillet (the one she makes the cornbread with that's SOOO good) and fling it at my head quicker than you could say "dam, that hurts".

I'll get the Answer Skareb - no air, no fuss, relatively light - cheap - for me, should do the trick. Indie - & everyone else - THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!

OD

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
No - that's the third invitation I've had for Saturday - already turned down riding & deer hunting (doe's are in season now - yeah, c'mon!!!) - we're having our annual Christmas family get-together on Saturday (the only day my cousin could be there - but that's okay, because she's a surgeon & the rest of us are just "normal slobs" :rolleyes: ). Besides, I could just see the look on my wife's face when I tell her I'm going to go ride with the dirty girls from Alabama. She'd snap up the iron skillet (the one she makes the cornbread with that's SOOO good) and fling it at my head quicker than you could say "dam, that hurts".

I'll get the Answer Skareb - no air, no fuss, relatively light - cheap - for me, should do the trick. Indie - & everyone else - THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!

OD
lol just be like i'm going to ride w/ a punk ass lil junior expert kid from jonesboro. and dude the skareb is an air fork.....

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . and dude the skareb is an air fork.....
Dude, I hate it when you're wrong . . . you're thinking of the Skareb Elite & Skareb Super, both use air/coil spring. I didn't specify which Skareb . . . I was thinking about this one:

http://www.answerproducts.com/skarebcomp.htm

Skareb Comp
Weight 3.4 lbs
Travel 80 mm
Damping TPC
Adjustments Preload, Rebound, Compression
Lubrication Semi-Bath
Spring Coil
Casting Magnesium RA
Stanchions 28.6 mm aluminum
Steerer Aluminum

Usually about $250 via Internet bike shops.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Dude, I hate it when you're wrong . . . you're thinking of the Skareb Elite & Skareb Super, both use air/coil spring. I didn't specify which Skareb . . . I was thinking about this one:

http://www.answerproducts.com/skarebcomp.htm

Skareb Comp
Weight 3.4 lbs
Travel 80 mm
Damping TPC
Adjustments Preload, Rebound, Compression
Lubrication Semi-Bath
Spring Coil
Casting Magnesium RA
Stanchions 28.6 mm aluminum
Steerer Aluminum

Usually about $250 via Internet bike shops.
yeah i was thinking about the elite. the air forks are sweet, they are easily adjustable n light. lol i didn't think manitou actually made a model of the skareb that utilized springs.......

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Is that bad? Should I only consider air/coil spring?

Remember - I like low maintenance bikes, cars & women.
noooo it's not a bad thing at all. i just prefer an air fork, there is nothing wrong at all w/ a coil fork at all.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rigid rules. sorry, i'm late to this party.

i'm not a fan of most rigid forks, but i love my On-One. mmmmm...