Quantcast

Rim blew apart...JRA. New wheel suggestions?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I am actually open to any rim suggestions. Anything other than Sunringle and Enve rims are currently on the table.

Industry 9 wheels have always looked nice. :help:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am actually open to any rim suggestions. Anything other than Sunringle and Enve rims are currently on the table.

Industry 9 wheels have always looked nice. :help:

I have not been impressed with my I9 hubs. Been through 1 set of freewheel bearings, fear a new set is pending. Tool free disassemble seems like a great idea until your freehub falls off when removing a wheel on the trail. Luckily you can run with 3 out of 6 pawls, as I have left a few out on the trail.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The 471s seem to have pretty good reviews and I was going to go with them, until I saw the price. Ended up ordering some Spanks blindly, without any reading of reviews or anything. We'll see how that works out. And they are blue. :bonk:

I didn't even look at Mavic stuff. I would guess they are much cheaper.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
because they have been bullet-, case-, and hack-proof for 3+ years and these are what ex500s have become. and because 26.
You must not be a very good hack- look at the OP; splits rims wide open by just ridin' along!

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The 471s seem to have pretty good reviews and I was going to go with them, until I saw the price. Ended up ordering some Spanks blindly, without any reading of reviews or anything. We'll see how that works out. And they are blue. :bonk:

I didn't even look at Mavic stuff. I would guess they are much cheaper.
This is a wise move. Just looking at Mavic wheels will cause your eyes to squirt blood and smoke to pour from your ears in a fit of uncontrollable blind rage. This will be further compounded by the fact that Mavic uses bushings on their high end free hub bodies instead of bearings. Then when the bushing wears prematurely because you actually ride it and throws the chain into those nice flat bladed spokes, breaking a few, and obliterating your coveted XTR rear derailleur, you get to experience Mavic customer service. By now your head can swivel 360° and speaking in tongues has now eclipsed all sense of your humanity as it is explained to you how you have to pay them to fulfill their own warranty.

Be brave, look away.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've a set of 26" flows laying in the bike bin... they're waiting for the mythical day I buy a new funbike and build it up. I dunno when that's gonna happen. They're white rims. You pay me I ship them to you. If you want, they're not the flow ex. Just the OG flows

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Finally went and picked these up. They seem lighter than the previous rims. BUT, I am pretty sure that these don't have a welded seam where the two ends of the rim meet (at least the inner surface isn't welded). We'll see how long they last, probably wouldn't have got these if I had realized that....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Try it now?
Looks Flexy
No woks or microwave? You were tempting disaster.
Add some shimz, you'll be fine.
Do they come in rootbeer?
Some rim tape should hold that together.
You should be able to pry that back with a pair of rim levers.
Looks like a bad rim job to me