Quantcast

Rim choices.

Craig!

Chimp
Feb 5, 2006
I am thinking about getting some new rims for my Dj/4x bike the choices that i have is the Mavic 325s, SunRingle Single Track, and the Azonic outlaws. Suggestions ?????

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Singletracks. If they're built right they're bullit proof. I just cracked a 325 and I'll never run them again. They're heavy and weak. I've heard good things about the Outlaws but I've never run them. Personally I like building my own wheels because they seem to hold up better than prebuilts, so I'd go for Singletracks. Also, JensonUSA has a blowout on Rhyno Lite XLs on XT hubs w/ black spokes and nips for $130, that's what I have right now because of the price.

If it were me, I'd rate them

1)Singletracks
2)Rhyno Lite XLs from Jenson
3)Outlaws
4)325s, but I would never run these

Hope that helps!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i run arrow dhx in 32 hole. had them for 4 yrs and still perfect. had to replace the front rim only because my car was rear ended w/ my bike on the trunk rack. haha.

i suggest
rhynolite xl 36 hole
new atomlab trail pimp and aircorp ( i hear the newer ones are lighter/same strength)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have singletracks on my DJ bike. They seem to be a good strength/weight ratio without any really bad issues or problems. Plus I got the entire wheelset for dirt cheap over the holidays. You can find a QR wheelset, XT disc hubs, and singletracks for usually under $150 (if you wait until the right sales or discounts they can be had for much less).

I have EX721's from Mavic and Arrow DHX's on different bikes. If I had the cash, I'd go the EX721's as they are pretty beefy for DJ stuff. They weigh close to the singletracks but are known in the DH world for being tuff.

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
go for mag30. once you put it on. you cna forget it. lol.. mag30 is so strong that. even yours hub / spokes are bend or spoil. the rims remain as one piece. and bloody straight still.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
Hey craig, you should go for the Singletracks if possible. I think they would be good Dirtjumping,4x, and ds.

Craig!

Chimp
Feb 5, 2006
I am wondering about what axel i should get for my rims the QR or the 12 mm. Im thinking about the 12mm hub because strength issues. Is there really any difference in strength if so, let me know.
Thanks

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Craig! said:
I am wondering about what axel i should get for my rims the QR or the 12 mm. Im thinking about the 12mm hub because strength issues. Is there really any difference in strength if so, let me know.
Thanks
Depends on the bike. On a full suspension if it can take a 12mm you can usually feel that it is stiffer. On a hardtail I dunno.......I've only had QR's and never had a problem or issue. Just tighten it down and forget it.

Now 20mm up front is much stiffer than QR up front. The Azonic outlaw wheelset you can change everything from 20mm/QR or QR/12mm TA. That is a nice feature. The only problem is the wheels aren't the lightest for DJ'ing and such.

I'm happy with my singletracks so far. First sun product I've owned and it doesn't seem too bad. I got them on sale for $109 laced to XT disc hubs. If they explode I'll buy a better set of rims and just go from there. The rear takes much more abuse then the front does so if the singletrack just eats it in the rear you have lots of choices.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i would definetly recommend the sun single tracks. they are a nice, strong wheel for whatever you are gonna do, and they arent that heavy. I ride with trailpimp DHRs right now from atomlab, and i would recommend those also.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
boostindoubles said:
i run the rhyno lites and have for years. i like em. not so expensive, and last a long time.

that said, i taco'd my rear rhyno lite last night. I've had it for about 2 years, and finally had to get a new rim today. I bought a sun ringle mammoth rim. They've been around a long time, and are stronger than the ryhno lite's. so i just wanted to follow up this post.