Quantcast

Rim ERD question

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
my current back wheel on my dh bike is a ex5.1d on a ringle abbah. one big hit and the ex5.1d flat spotted bad enough to crack. :think: it was a bad case on a square edge though. from what I gather, these have an ERD of 539mm. I just bought a set of mavic 823's which should be a big improvement, but have an ERD of 534. If possible, I'd like to re-rim the back wheel with the tape the rims together method and reuse the spokes.
1. the correct spoke length for the ex5.1d would be 2.5mm longer than the 823 right? a half assed search did not turn up the needed hub measurements for the spoke length calculators I found; most of the lists were outdated enough to not include the abbah.
2. is this a big enough difference to warrant a new set of spokes?
3. the 823 requires 16mm nipples. i believe my wheel has 12mm but am not certain about that. does nipple size play into spoke length at all?

TIA for any input to help out a wheel lacing noob

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
my current back wheel on my dh bike is a ex5.1d on a ringle abbah. one big hit and the ex5.1d flat spotted bad enough to crack. :think: it was a bad case on a square edge though. from what I gather, these have an ERD of 539mm. I just bought a set of mavic 823's which should be a big improvement, but have an ERD of 534. If possible, I'd like to re-rim the back wheel with the tape the rims together method and reuse the spokes.
1. the correct spoke length for the ex5.1d would be 2.5mm longer than the 823 right? a half assed search did not turn up the needed hub measurements for the spoke length calculators I found; most of the lists were outdated enough to not include the abbah.
2. is this a big enough difference to warrant a new set of spokes?
3. the 823 requires 16mm nipples. i believe my wheel has 12mm but am not certain about that. does nipple size play into spoke length at all?

TIA for any input to help out a wheel lacing noob
1. Yes, that sounds about right.

2. Yes. There is less room for error with the 823 as it is a UST rim.

3. Yes. Again, nipple depth is important as the 823 is a UST rim. You do not start threading the nipples in the same manner you would normal spokes, as the back of the rim is not drilled out. It has the threaded inserts that retain the spokes in the rim, and the additional nipple depth is necessary. Make sure you get the Mavic tool for the inserts as well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
In short, you need new spokes. Since the 823s use 16mm nipples, and you've got 12mm, that's an additional 4mm your spokes are too long by. 6.5mm is way too much to deal with.

If you borked a wheel that badly you really should use new spokes anyway.