Quantcast

Rim Indecision

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I need a new rear wheel (36 hole) and am thinking about the Sun MTX and the Mavic EX729. I am also wondering if a Hadley hub is worth the extra $220 over the shimano deore. Any opinions?

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
try hunt down a tioga DH rim cause i really like them failing that the mavic, i run one of each and havnt had an problems

as for the hubs a cartridge bearing, freehub servicable hub is a lot better than deore it doesnt have to be a hadley or as expensive as a hadley. there are loads of good alternatives out there.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I am interested in the hadley because it is convertible from 10mm(what I have now) to 12mm for my next bike. Are there any other hubs that do this? My one concern is that I cracked a d521 because of the harder alloy, sun rims have a softer alloy so they only dent or flatspot and are still rideable. By the way I weigh 155 without gear and am fairly hard on rims. I can get either rim for about the same price so the only issue is which is stronger and will last longer.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
check out hope hubs too. i dont know about the prices over there but they are very well priced over here compared to hadley

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
first of all what kinda bikde is the hub going on. next i would say hadley is your best bet, they have put a lot of time and money into there convertable hubs. im not saying that hopes are bad but i would just trust the hadley more.

ohh and for rims id either go with the 729 or the 823 just depends on what you want. the 823 are going to save you weight because of the soul fact that you go tubless.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hadley hubs are worth the money. Especially over deore. Consider it an investment that will last through several frames. And because it's convertable, you'll always be able to make it fit.

Deore hubs are disposable, and priced accordingly.

For rims, I've had great results with the MTX. I'm also a long time user of WTB DH rims.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Unimog said:
My one concern is that I cracked a d521 because of the harder alloy, sun rims have a softer alloy so they only dent or flatspot and are still rideable.
you could look at it that way, but i bet that d521 took loads of bashing before it cracked. i have a pair of rhyno lites, and rims flat spotting really blows. firstly, you have to retention the spokes every time the rims flat spots. and secondly they flat spot really easy, my rear isn't round anymore, and my front has about 2 bad flat spots. thats with about 1+ year or riding, i am really light too (110lbs). oh yea, when you rim isn't round anymore, it wont work with stans if you are thinking about tubeless in the future.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
BigDawd-Tell me more about the DT Swiss FR 6.10's

dhkid-I have rhyno lites and they can't be compared to MTX's, I went through 2 Rhyno lites in one week on my hardtail.

frznnomad-these will be going on a kona stinky dee-lux, and maybe in the future a Sinister R9 or a Turner Dhr, both also 135mm spacing

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i just built a sick wheel for my orange chris king 12mmx150mm with yellow rhyno lite xl see how the rim holds up next season cause its only like 450g so the wheel is super light.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i was just comparing it to the 521 which is kinda the same weight, but i still think that the mavic rims are better.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay unimog. problem solved deffinatly go with hadley hubs. spend the extra doe on them now and keep them for many many seasons of hard abusive riding. isnt the stinky a 12mm bolt thru in the rear or am i just imagining things. if so there isnt much need for the conversion kit but its still nice. okay man glad we could help. :thumb:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
For what it's worth, I had a set of DT 6.10 FR's and they were pretty soft IMO...Profile and width are good, but I flat spotted the ever living hell outta my rear whilst in BC (actually, I creased the damn thing)...I have to admit tho, I was running some crazy low pressure due to way wet conditions the first day...So it did make it through the trip, only to be replaced by a 729 upon return to the States...However, I'm still running the front wheel, and it's been fine...The rear DT Swiss hub (Hugi I think) has been flawless - great engagement and doesn't get loose...

In addition, a pro mech friend of mine said some of the pros who were running them at Anglefire were blowing them up practically every other run...But who knows, they may do that to all the wheelsets they run...But another industry buddy indicated that a lot of pros liked the fact that they were pretty soft as it apparently reduced the number of pinch flats...So there ya go :D

Btw, don't ever buy Deores unless you're gunna sell a bike and just need something to slap on it...Hadleys all the way IMO...

BigDawd

Chimp
Aug 22, 2005
CT
jackalope said:
For what it's worth, I had a set of DT 6.10 FR's and they were pretty soft IMO...Profile and width are good, but I flat spotted the ever living hell outta my rear whilst in BC (actually, I creased the damn thing)...I have to admit tho, I was running some crazy low pressure due to way wet conditions the first day...So it did make it through the trip, only to be replaced by a 729 upon return to the States...However, I'm still running the front wheel, and it's been fine...The rear DT Swiss hub (Hugi I think) has been flawless - great engagement and doesn't get loose...

In addition, a pro mech friend of mine said some of the pros who were running them at Anglefire were blowing them up practically every other run...But who knows, they may do that to all the wheelsets they run...But another industry buddy indicated that a lot of pros liked the fact that they were pretty soft as it apparently reduced the number of pinch flats...So there ya go :D

Btw, don't ever buy Deores unless you're gunna sell a bike and just need something to slap on it...Hadleys all the way IMO...

Interesting info. Thanks. Might still be looking at the 729's then. lol

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
So is the 729 stronger than a MTX? I am not really interested in anything lighter, it would only last me a month at the outside and I am not too bothered by weight. I think I will go with the hadley and the stinky is a qr not 12mm unfortunately.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
julian_dh said:
i just built a sick wheel for my orange chris king 12mmx150mm with yellow rhyno lite xl see how the rim holds up next season cause its only like 450g so the wheel is super light.

12 x 150 king? how is this?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i heard that brake therapy can do the conversion. but i am not sure how true that is. but then my LBS has converted the qr 135mm model king into a 12x150mm for a couple of vp-frees. i think it would be much havier then say a hadley but if you really want to use the king on it, it can be done. he machined out a axel to fit insde the hub and just just used a getto spacer for the disc brake rotor.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Okay, I think I am going to go 36-hole Sun MTX on a 36-hole Hadley. Should I go 36 or 108 point engagement on the Hadley?