Quantcast

Rim Reccomendation Please

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I banged up my rims a bit in the summer and am now shopping around for new rims. I am going to lace them to a Hadleys hub (both front and rear) so I want a rim that can last. I do DH/ FR but am sitting on the fence about UST. I have Mavics 729`s now and my bike shop said 823`s are stronger. I am thinking about 723`s or Halo rims or even Double Tracks.
Here is what I did to my 729`s....
rear.jpg

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Double Tracks are super beefy, seen a lot of clydes abuse the heck out of them w/ good results. Of course they are boat anchors too.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I'd stick with the 729.

No rim is immune to that kind of damage. I've got 321's with 2-3 spots like that and they are still true and holding the bead. I'll just swap them out with the same rim. I also had a much heavier Atom Lab Trailpimp rim that folded over and cracked (sidewall) from a little ding like that.

Mike

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
i had the 729, and totally killed them but in a situation where imo any other rim would have broken anyway. i've been running double tracks since then and they re super strong...really heavy though. in the rear i got several cracks from one nasty landing, but it's still holding. i'm trying to trash them so i can justify getting some 729 again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
arrow's DHX are really nice rims....they are heavy at like 850g though. They also have a thinner freeride version at 650g or so. I might rock those if I were builder a non-ust race bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
arrow's DHX are really nice rims....they are heavy at like 850g though. They also have a thinner freeride version at 650g or so. I might rock those if I were builder a non-ust race bike.
Thoes rims are lame, they dont grind down the weld bead so they are a HUGE pain when you try and build or true them and they dont have eyelits

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Thoes rims are lame, they dont grind down the weld bead so they are a HUGE pain when you try and build or true them and they dont have eyelits
I have to admit that I like the DHX very much. Heavy, but super burly and I have not had any problem what so ever building or truing them. Also, the weld just add strength I think......they have held up really good to all sorts of abuse...:cheers:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
syncros/mavic 729's are the best of both worlds as far as weight and durability. 729's are going to dent easy but EXTREMELY reliable and dont end up breaking like a harder rim. the syncros have been getting rave reviews and apparently are holding up to fr and DH style up north. I am running the syncros this season and rode the 729s the last 2 years/ Love the 729's.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If you had EX729's before why not just stick with them? They are pretty strong, easy to get a hold of, build nicely.....they are pretty decently strong rims!

If looking otherwise.......I'm a fan of Arrow products as well. I have had both their FRX and DHX rims and both have been problem free. The weld DOESN'T make a difference in anything. I've never used super-low pressure like some do (could be why the rims flatspot/dent) but never once had a problem with a DH tube and tire on them. When the market is saturated with Mavic/Sun/DT Swiss and there's an off-brand like Arrow......many people will tell you Arrow's weigh the most (the do) but strength wise they are probably tops on the list.

No rim will withstand a hard hit if you're running like 10psi in it. Tubeless in that case will be even worse as it'll bend the rim lip and you'll never hold a bead. Rims are strong.......but things are stronger when you run the correct tube/tire with the proper pressure. That's probably more key to anything.

What pressure were you running when that happened? I weigh 230lbs, run DHX rims.......and keep it at or around 30 psi at all times. I've never pinchflatted, never had a bend/dent anything to the rim and after 3 years they are still going strong. Even my Mavic's and other rims I've owned I always keep sort of a high pressure in them to avoid flatting........but also to avoid hitting the rim.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I ran about 15-20 psi in my 3.0 gazzis with dh tubes at pkill in november with no damage...i tried to be careful, but traction was paramount on that day.

I could see how the bead of weld could interrupt with truing...but if you need your wheel to be truer than the 1mm or so it adds, then you're using rim brakes, and should not talk ever.

According to go-ride, dhxs come in at 800, which is less than intenses mag30s. So, they aren't THAT heavy, but they are no featherweights either. I think you'll find that anybody that actually uses them likes them. They just don't offer the weight advantage that mavic does.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Unless you are looking for lighter or stronger the 729 is a great rim. At 690 gm it is very strong for its weight.

As for the 823 being stronger...that has not been my experience. The current 823 is a lot better than the original D3.1, but still not quite as strong as a 729.

As for tubeless... if you are easy on rims then the 823 is a good choice, but pretty much only works with UST tires. If you are hard on rims or want to use any DH tire then a 729 with a Maxxis rim strip or a NoTubes kit is the way to go.

I banged up my rims a bit in the summer and am now shopping around for new rims. I am going to lace them to a Hadleys hub (both front and rear) so I want a rim that can last. I do DH/ FR but am sitting on the fence about UST. I have Mavics 729`s now and my bike shop said 823`s are stronger. I am thinking about 723`s or Halo rims or even Double Tracks.
View attachment 90131
If dents like the one in the foto are the worst ones you got I'd say keep running those rims another year and save your $. Those things can take so much more damage.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have to admit that I like the DHX very much. Heavy, but super burly and I have not had any problem what so ever building or truing them. Also, the weld just add strength I think......they have held up really good to all sorts of abuse...:cheers:
they are strong, its just little quality things that they should ass, I mean when you are buying a 100$ rim it should have eyelits

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ran about 15-20 psi in my 3.0 gazzis with dh tubes at pkill in november with no damage...i tried to be careful, but traction was paramount on that day.
LOL! was that the last race weekend? the snow was killer that weekend!! I actually INCREASED tyre pressure that weekend and got better performance if you can believe it. only by about 5 lbs so I was in the mid/upper 30's. I run 2.7 minions (which are any other companies 2.5)

I run the arrow dhx's as well. Yes they are heavy, I've beat the pi$$ out of them and the only time i ever had to true them was when i had to replace busted spokes. I don't have problems seating the bead, and I used to run a set of double beaded arrow prime bites (i think the primes) on them. Looking for something lighter for next year though. Been leaning towards 823's because I can. Although now that syncros is on the scene I've been looking at them as well.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah the snow made everything sketchy. I'm not surprised you got more traction, because the race course was SUPER muddy (SOUPer?). I spent more time riding on the other side of the hill where the ground was hard and wet and rocky...my buddy was having a hell of a time :P but I wasn't.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I agree with scott from go-ride, 823's aren't as strong as the 729's, they are great for ust tubeless, the only option. I have run 321's, 729's and currently have 823's, the 321/729 are stronger, not a lot though.

and like others have said, tire pressure is very important.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah the snow made everything sketchy. I'm not surprised you got more traction, because the race course was SUPER muddy (SOUPer?). I spent more time riding on the other side of the hill where the ground was hard and wet and rocky...my buddy was having a hell of a time :P but I wasn't.
that weekend really was a freakin' blast. and SOUPer is definitely more descriptive. not to mention seeing willC and crew riding down the slopes. I mean skidding.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
Unless you are looking for lighter or stronger the 729 is a great rim. At 690 gm it is very strong for its weight.
Yep...I agree 729`s are decent rims. I was hoping to find something BOTH lighter AND Stronger. I will settle for just stronger though.
Now, I am leaning towards 723`s laced to Hadley`s. Now just gotta decide on Codes or Saints....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Now, I am leaning towards 723`s laced to Hadley`s. Now just gotta decide on Codes or Saints....
Not sure what you ment to type but since it has not been brought up yet in this thread and most people are completely wrong in their thoughts on mavic rim weights... (most likely due to Mavic's listings bein 'off')

721s = ~595 g

729s = ~690 g

823s = 730 ish grams

Most dont think it is so, but....823s are the heaviest!!

On a more generic rim strength note:

Rims with a wide low-profile shape like the 729s generally resist side to side bending better, but are more prone to vertical denting and flat spots. Rims that are taller, narrower and square like the 823 and 721 tend to resist the vertical denting better but suffer from less side to side strength.
Mavic aluminum tends to be stiffer and harder than most others. This can reduce some flat spotting, but it can also cause a rim to crack if you hit it hard enough to mash down the side wall. Mavic rims also CANNOT be straightened after a sidewall dent without breaking the aluminum, unlike some other, softer rims.

Big rim flat spots like posted earlier are ussually due to too low of tire pressures (or ocassional bad luck). Newer tacky rubber DH tires allow higher pressures without loosing grip...use this to keep rims in better shape. That pic is ugly, however I have seen and owned several rims with big dents like that and they have been fine for quite some time after. No pressure loss or tire de-beading at all..just watch for growing cracks.

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
Not sure what you ment to type but since it has not been brought up yet in this thread and most people are completely wrong in their thoughts on mavic rim weights... (most likely due to Mavic's listings bein 'off')

721s = ~595 g

729s = ~690 g

823s = 730 ish grams

Most dont think it is so, but....823s are the heaviest!!
I meant I was looking at the 721`s now. I am just concerned on how strong they are compared to the 729`s.
Since the 721`s are lighter they have less rotational mass thus making the bike feel faster right? And if the contact patch is narrower how does it compare to the feel of the 729`s?
I flat spotted my rims due to a combination of being unlucky and running a low PSI.:nopity: Both my rims have dents. And since I have some stock Formula hubs laced to my Mavics now I am in a hurry to build up a wheelset with Hadleys before the crappy hubs blow. Which brings up my last question.... should I even bother building up a new wheel set or just swap out the Formula hubs for Hadleys using my present (dented) rims?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Spank rims no way!

subrosa if you want build a wheelset under 2kg or Stiffy 40mm for around 700gr

for this spring the will have even the stiffy mag, 40mm for 490gr simply amazing!!

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
As for tubeless... if you are easy on rims then the 823 is a good choice, but pretty much only works with UST tires.
I found that as long as it was a maxxis tire, UST or not, they sealed fine with stan's sealant on that rim. Never had any issues with rolling the bead either. Might be different with other companys though? Just my 2 cents.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
View attachment 90131
dude what a waste just unbend them with some pliers or at worst sell em to me for 30 bucks