Quantcast

Rim Tape ... Does it Matter?

bc2002

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So I bought a couple of used wheels that I want to pull the rims (321 and Mag30) and put them on my current formula hubs. The rims are on hubs that won't fit. Either rim has different rim tape. The 321, some sort of fabric stuf, and the Mag30, some sort of heat shrink stuff. I've had wheels that had electrical tape, and that ended up moving around and bunching up in places.

What rim tape should I use? I'm not overly concerned about weight, though lighter would be nicer (b/c the Mag30 is such a light rim :blah: ), and I'm not going tubeless.

Thanks for the input.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have always used Velox stuff but sometimes it doesn't stick that well, atleast the last 2 rolls I bought didn't stick well.

It is important to run a tape of some sort. You wouldn't want to flat because of a pinched tube caused by some rim edge on a spoke hole. If you went around the wheel 2 times or even 3 with electrical tape it'd probably be fine. Duct tape would be a PITA.

But yeah, run something, rim tape is pretty cheap too, just get the right width for your rims.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Spunger said:
I have always used Velox stuff but sometimes it doesn't stick that well, atleast the last 2 rolls I bought didn't stick well.
my last 3 rolls didn't stick well, either. man that was annoying.

J

JRB

strapping tape works, but I like velox. I echo that the last few rolls haven't stuck well.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
for electrical tape its best to use a couple of revs, rims with poor deburring can cut through as the tape sinks in. Duct tape works well, but leaves its adhesive behind, especially with dirt. I prefer to use none and just run tubless :D

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Electrical tape 3x around the wheel always works for me. Cheaper then Velox, probably lighter too if your counting miligrams.... No trimming to size needed either.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
oly said:
Electrical tape 3x around the wheel always works for me. Cheaper then Velox, probably lighter too if your counting miligrams.... No trimming to size needed either.
3x is perfect. Once right down the middle, then one a little to the left and then one a little to the right.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SuspectDevice said:
I like the plastic Michelin Rimbands personally, as their is less friction between the talc'd up tube and the rimstrip. Stuff slides better.
i like these, too, but they're a bitch to get off (if you ever want to rebuild a wheel). i've never actually seen them for sale anywhere (which is why i tried to get them off). i got a pair when i got my first set of wheels 4yrs ago, and still use them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Rockland said:
Fiberglass strapping tape
Yep. Electrical tape doesn't work so well because it stretches so much, which exposes the sharp edges, and possibly burs or anything else.

You can get away with it for a while, or double-wrap it I guess, it's just not optimal, and there's cheap alternatives that are optimal.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I ran the same electrical tape on a set of Rhino Lites for 3 years on a Big Hit and XC tubes. No problems

2-3 times around is the key

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
the Inbred said:
i like these, too, but they're a bitch to get off (if you ever want to rebuild a wheel). i've never actually seen them for sale anywhere (which is why i tried to get them off). i got a pair when i got my first set of wheels 4yrs ago, and still use them.
I have a stack of them, I think I picked them up from Michelin in '01 when I was on a michelin sponsored team. They still offer them, most distribuitors don't carry them though. Pretty sure that BTI has them though.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Kanter said:
Im with everyone else. The last 2-3 rolls Ive had would never stick.

I have found that initially, yes, it isn't super sticky. But it sticks to itself well, so you can overlap it (but not over the valve hole). After that it sticks well. I don't know if it's the tube squishing it onto the rim or what, but I will always use Velox when rim tape is applicable(ie, on non-tubeless rims).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
1" or 1.5" wide gaffers tape. Lighter than Velox, and no gummy residue like duct tape.

One roll will do about 40-50 wheels.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Velox works great if you clean the rim. An old wheel will have lots of grime and a new rim will have linseed oil on it. Rubbing alcohol works wonders. I've reused velox 2-3 times just fine.

As for electrical tape, the trick is to NOT stretch it tight. Otherwise the ends come up. Oh, and buy the premium stuff.