Quantcast

Rims for 4X

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Despite all the 4X haters on here, who's running what rims for 4X?

I'm looking at the moment at some slightly used wheelsets or new but 2nd hand (if you get what I mean) wheelsets. Two options at the moment are: pro II/5.1 and ringle/823.

I'm thinking 5.1 might be a touch light and weak, and 823 a touch heavy. I haven't had ringle hubs before either, but I only have hope hubs on my bikes now, for a good reason.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ringle hubs are heavy but have a pretty fast engagement...good for acceleration.

I don't know if you would need the strength of the 823 for 4x/ds use. I would rather go with the lighter rim for the best acceleration possible. You probably aren't slamming against man-sized rocks on most 4x courses.

Of your options, I'd pick the 5.1/pro 2s...but if you were to build one up, I'd pick a lighter AM rim with the fastest engaging hub you can buy...say an Arrow FRX with a Hadley rear, generic front.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Running 2008 Azonic Outlaws. They might be a little heavy, but running ghetto tubeless helps. I have not had a single issue this season either on the 4X course, or at the BMX track. I might try the Mavic Crossmax SX next season, but that is still up in the air.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have been running the same 5.1s (tubeless with single ply tires) on my 'do everything but full on DH' 160mm travel bike (Turner 5 pack) for a year and a half. It sees rough trail rides (fire road up, fast roots, jumps, and lil' drops all the way down), jump park, playing on the BMX/pump track...pretty much anything that the sunday is not needed for.

They have been suprisingy good and are still in great condition. Of course, build quality will have a big impact (I have built all my own wheels for the last 20 years). IMO, they are plenty of rim for a 4X bike, unless you are casing big jumps on a regular basis...

IMO hub engagement would be a larger issue for me. THe Hope hubs are not great, but you might be able to convert them to the 'single speed' with 48 engagements and will take a 5 gear cog. Perfect for you use IMO if you can do that.

823s are WAY overkill. Do you really need THE heaviest rim that the largest rim mfg makes? The Hope hubs are (IMO) significantly nicer than the ringle.

Last edited:

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I've been using the Sun Ringle charger wheelset for 4x,DS,pump tracks and Djing for close to a year now with no issues.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
IMO hub engagement would be a larger issue for me. THe Hope hubs are not great, but you might be able to convert them to the 'single speed' with 48 engagements and will take a 5 gear cog. Perfect for you use IMO if you can do that.
That would be good but I think the whole hub body is differently sized, so I'd doubt it.

I'm a bit limited money wise, I only have around $700-$750 (australian, bike parts are WAAYYY more here) to 4X my bike. Are there any reasonably priced high engagement rear hubs? Ringle I guess... otherwise it's just King, Hadley, I9 and Burgtec, and I can't afford any of those.

Few other questions: Will the shimano XC SPDs work, or should I just swap my DX from my DH bike over?

Also my XC wheels are Pro II/ZTR arch, I'm guessing these would be too light and I'd like to keep them in their perfect condition for XC stuff, but maybe the front one would be good for 4X?

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
DT 4.2D or any other XC rim you prefer. And I'm not sure if any of you dudes talking about hub engagement speed have ever done gate starts. You preload it agains't the gate, so it doesn't matter if its got 16 or 160 points, as long as they don't break.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
DT 4.2D or any other XC rim you prefer. And I'm not sure if any of you dudes talking about hub engagement speed have ever done gate starts. You preload it agains't the gate, so it doesn't matter if its got 16 or 160 points, as long as they don't break.
I won't kill my stans rims doing this? I think the 5.1s sound like a good idea...

By the way do you still ride bikes>???

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I won't kill my stans rims doing this? I think the 5.1s sound like a good idea...

By the way do you still ride bikes>???
Dunno what Stan's are sorry. 5.1s are too heavy imo.

I'm just starting to ride again now. I snapped my ACL clean in two in February, had reconstruction in July, and its all coming together now.:thumb: