Quantcast

Rims for cyclocross?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I am building a second set of cross wheels and I wanted a recomendation on rims. I am looking for the usual light weight but strong.

Any ideas???

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
1. Wee bit hard to bunnyhop that high with road bars.
2. Barriers usually less than, or just about a bike length apart.
3. Barriers usually at the bottom a hill/going up a hill/right at the top of hill. Usually placed so that it's faster to hop off and run over, then remount, than to attempt a bunnyhop.
4. Trying to bunnyhop when in severe oxygen debt doesn't usually work out too well.

To answer the original question: What rims are you running now? I've heard the Open Pros are the standard rim for road/CX, and they meet your strong/light requirements. If it's real muddy where you live, you want to go with something that has a deeper profile, to cut through the mud.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Nate at RIT said:
1. Wee bit hard to bunnyhop that high with road bars.
2. Barriers usually less than, or just about a bike length apart.
3. Barriers usually at the bottom a hill/going up a hill/right at the top of hill. Usually placed so that it's faster to hop off and run over, then remount, than to attempt a bunnyhop.
4. Trying to bunnyhop when in severe oxygen debt doesn't usually work out too well.

Exactly

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
Dude, I know how important this CX thing is to you and I wouldn't want to steal your thunder. :eviltongu

;)

Shoo, it's more like a whimper. :blah:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
So I am planning on building a wheel set using Edco mtb hubs and Mavic open pro rims. The rear wheel spacing has to be 135mm to fit my TCX frame. But I have also been looking at the Mavic CPX33 to cut through the mud better.

Does anyone have any experience with the CPX 33?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
spoke80 said:
So I am planning on building a wheel set using Edco mtb hubs and Mavic open pro rims. The rear wheel spacing has to be 135mm to fit my TCX frame. But I have also been looking at the Mavic CPX33 to cut through the mud better.

Does anyone have any experience with the CPX 33?
I have them on my road bike, they're not very tough at all. Go with the open pros.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
xbluethunderx said:
I have them on my road bike, they're not very tough at all. Go with the open pros.

That's wack I figured that the cpx 33 would be a good set up.

Open pros it is.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Never used the suns but I have used Open Pros and another mavic rim. I can't remember if it was CXP 23s or 33s. In any case, the Pros were lighter and seemed to hold up just as well.

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Definetely go with the Mavic Open Pro rims along with a good hub. If you have a wheel god for a mechanic he can make these bullet proof for you. If you're in the North Carolina see Zack at Paul's Cycling & Fitness in Winston-Salem or Frank at Frank's Cycles in Raleigh.