Quantcast

Rims For New Dh Season

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well it looks like i am gona be geting a new rim set for the upcoming SOON dh season! i was thinking of some hadley's and MAG 30's. any body have any suggestions on a build or complete set! thanks!

oh and i ride a kona stab dh bike!

P.S. atom lab dhr's are pretty in right now in the hardtail sene, how do you guy's think those will hold up on dh/whistler

elRey

Turbo Monkey
the dhr's are sick! I have only raced once with them, but have been riding with them for a while now. Ive cased some pretty hard stuff and they are bomb proof. They are a little heavy but nothin to worry about, especially from a dh'er/freerider. I reccommend them.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
industry 9 ??????? never herd of them... web sites?

ya the atomlabs have had non stop good coments! acually you are the first to complain about weight. no affence:) my bike right now is 51 pounds so as far as weight goes- who cares! i will defenetly concider the atomlabs!

what about the complete wheel set by run ringle'(36h MODO's with abbah hubs?)

:redhot: :hot: :clue: :rofl:

ChelanDHer

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Lynnwood, WA
I'm going to go for DHR's on my hardtail as soon as I get it running. When I was racing DH I had a Hadley 12mm rear on my Super 8 laced to a Mag 30, awesome wheelset. I was running a Marz. 20mm front laced to a Mag 30 as well, I loved those wheels. Hadley is the way to go if you can afford it, I think that 12mm rear hub set me back a cool $150. Overall the wheelset was pretty bombproof. A bit heavy, but so was the Super 8 :cool:

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
ChelanDHer said:
Hadley is the way to go if you can afford it, I think that 12mm rear hub set me back a cool $150.
You must have had some kind of hook-up becasue Hadley rear hubs are at least $300 and probably more.
The Mag 30 (and Sun/Ringle' Double-track) are pretty bomb-proof rims. It seemed to me that the Mag30's had an extra proccess done to them that made them slightly stronger, but more brittle? That may have changed though.
I believe the MODO wheelset is based off of a Double-wide rim. If you are super-huck-to-flat-look-at-me-on-pinkbike then these wheels are for you. Seriously, they are a bit much for most people, but if you are hard on wheels they should last but you'll pay a penalty in weight. I've also heard people say because they are so wide they throw the profile of the tire off.
It has been my experience that, with the exception of the Mag30's, Sun rims are "soft". Seems like on all Sun rims I've had a problem keeping them true.
My $.02 is if you want good all-around rims Mavic D321's are the way to go. I know they are now called the ex823 (or something) and don't know if they changed the rim at all since it was a 321 but I still have 321 rear rims from years ago that have nasty flat spots but are pretty straight. I have a rim that outlasted the hub?

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
trailhacker said:
You must have had some kind of hook-up becasue Hadley rear hubs are at least $300 and probably more.
The Mag 30 (and Sun/Ringle' Double-track) are pretty bomb-proof rims. It seemed to me that the Mag30's had an extra proccess done to them that made them slightly stronger, but more brittle? That may have changed though.
I believe the MODO wheelset is based off of a Double-wide rim. If you are super-huck-to-flat-look-at-me-on-pinkbike then these wheels are for you. Seriously, they are a bit much for most people, but if you are hard on wheels they should last but you'll pay a penalty in weight. I've also heard people say because they are so wide they throw the profile of the tire off.
It has been my experience that, with the exception of the Mag30's, Sun rims are "soft". Seems like on all Sun rims I've had a problem keeping them true.
My $.02 is if you want good all-around rims Mavic D321's are the way to go. I know they are now called the ex823 (or something) and don't know if they changed the rim at all since it was a 321 but I still have 321 rear rims from years ago that have nasty flat spots but are pretty straight. I have a rim that outlasted the hub?
What Hacker said was right on the money. Don't get the Sun mag 30's because they are litterally to stiff. I flatted on one four years ago over at Mt. Spokane at the top of the course and ended up riding the whole rest of the race on my rim. After getting to the bottom the rim had split in two at the seam but was still true! The best way to go is Mavic 729's if you are not running tubeless.
And 823 if you are going to run tubeless.
Both are welded and pinned plus have some give so if you take a huge rim shot it will flatspot rather than breaking spokes like the Mag 30. I have ridden the hell out of all you have mentioned and the Mavics are by far the best!
I will be using DT Swiss 440 hubs laced to Mavic 823's.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
ryan/kona29 said:
ya the atomlabs have had non stop good coments! acually you are the first to complain about weight. no affence:) my bike right now is 51 pounds so as far as weight goes- who cares! i will defenetly concider the atomlabs!
the only reason i complain about the weight is because they were my first set of decent dh rims. but they are totally worth it. because they dont break.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
trailhacker said:
well the D321's are what i am runing right now. i have many flat spots in them so i think i need to go bigger! i do a lot of hard landings and flat landings.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
ryan/kona29 said:
well the D321's are what i am runing right now. i have many flat spots in them so i think i need to go bigger! i do a lot of hard landings and flat landings.
Thats exactly what a rim is suppose to do. If you had a sun you would be replacing spokes all the time, plus the ride you get from the mavics are way better. Suns are too jarring.
What tires are you using?
You shouldn't be flat spotting your rims like you said you have.
What might help with the Mavics is a different tire. Maybe try running higher pressure to eliminate flat spotting.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
ryan/kona29 said:
Thats exactly what a rim is suppose to do. If you had a sun you would be replacing spokes all the time, plus the ride you get from the mavics are way better. Suns are too jarring.
What tires are you using?
You shouldn't be flat spotting your rims like you said you have.
What might help with the Mavics is a different tire. Maybe try running higher pressure to eliminate flat spotting.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'd stay away from Sun rims. They have excellent XC rims - that can't be denied. I've run into issues with their DH/FR rims...although their Modo seems pretty gnar.
You can't go wrong w/ Mavic. Enough good can't be said about their products - road to DH and all points in between.
Atomlabs are heavy but bombproof. If you're DH'ing then weight shouldn't be an issue. I'd think the more weight, the better...so long as you're racing on true DH courses.
If their DH rims are anything like their FR rims, I'd also check into Arrow Racing's offerings.

Whatever you do, make sure you get hand-built wheels!!!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
For the record, the Sun Double track with welded seams was the best rim Ive ever had. It ran true and held up to my hackness and girth. Even surviving a decent sized jump on a flat up at the holy land.... and the singletracks have been a pretty damn good wheelset too. Alot of wheel strength has to do with spoke tension.... something most riders dont know about, or care to fix untill their rim is no longer round or straight....

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well i think i am gona go with the double wide rims. i found a great deal on www.cambriabike.com there are going for $39.00 on the bargain basement! so what do ya think about my choise-good are bad? also i am gona build a wheel set so what hubs would be best for under $150.00? oh and i like loud hubs to!

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Mavic 729 = bulletproof. I've cased the crap out of some wood landings with those, no problem. They held up to an entire whistler season (18 days up last summer:D )+ winter riding. Apparenty the 823 is the tubless version and is just as stout (I think thats what is run on the Whistler rental DH bikes). I'm not easy on bike parts and 729s pass the test.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
well last night i told my dad that i was going to get the MODO's, so apperently he got those today while he was at work! so i guese i ended up with the MODO's/doublewides(same thing)! well now it's come down to the hubs! which hub would be THE best for dh/fr? i want the hadleys really bad but the dude on cambria bike said that they would be like $450.00 for the rear hub? i think he was talking about both of them together?(front/rear)

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
ryan/kona29 said:
i want the hadleys really bad but the dude on cambria bike said that they would be like $450.00 for the rear hub? i think he was talking about both of them together?(front/rear)
Its not out of the question. I think a King rear hub just went up to somewhere close to that.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
what?

it was a possibility to get the hadleys if they where the $240.00 that it says on thier site but $450.00, thats next christmas in my book.

i will be out at sst today all day on my brand new hardtail that has never seen sst dirt! later...