Quantcast

Rims...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Spank... oozy. some of the worst names in mtb ... and the graphics are laser etched. Nice rims from what I hear though. Please report back, $44 is a good price.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Spank... oozy. some of the worst names in mtb ....
while not great, Cove has the "worst names" category on lockdown.

graphics are laser etched.
was already aware of this. while decals would have been nice, certainly not a dealbreaker.

Nice rims from what I hear though. Please report back, $44 is a good price.
that's what i've heard as well. when i saw the closeout price it was hard to pass up considering what else i was looking at.

bonus is that i'll be able to do a straight rim swap with my current wheels (don't need new spokes), so i'll be able to get them on sooner rather than later.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
i'll go anyways. gonna start looking for new rims for the spitfire.

requirements:

26"
durable
reasonably light (current rims are mavic 325s, so at slightly over 700g each getting lighter than this would be pretty easy)
reasonably cheap.
tubeless ready would be nice.
32 hole (going to lace to current hubs)

spank oozy trail is in that ballpark. HAB mentioned a DT swiss that was about comparable.
An LBS owner who sold me my Spitfire told me that the Spanks were kind of easy to dent. So I bought I9s because they were supposedly much stronger, but dented the rear after three months.

I hate to say it, but as much as I despise Mavic freehubs and their wretched excuse for customer service, their rims held up the best from my abuse over the years. But keep in mind I have a long history of destroying rear wheels.

edit: just saw that you ordered the rims, never-mind...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hate to say it, but as much as I despise Mavic freehubs and their wretched excuse for customer service, their rims held up the best from my abuse over the years. But keep in mind I have a long history of destroying rear wheels.
The hubs the mavic rims were originally laced to were atrocious. Bad to the point I cut the spokes out and threw the hubs away.

The problem I have with the rims isn't the quality, it's the weight. They're north of 700g each.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah those old bushing interface things were shit. But that's ancient history. They're no different than 90% of the other hub designs out there. I've had a set of crossmax sxs since they came out and they're still perfectly fine. I haven't even touched them other than truing the wheels.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
When's the last time you opened up a mavic freehub?

They've looked like every other hub for about 8 years now. At least the higher end ones. I don't know what they put in those 200 dollar wheelsets.
2011, Mavic Cross Trail, msrp $600. Freehub body failed repeatedly due to a plastic bushing that wears very quickly. I replaced the freehub and the bushing several times. But cassette play ensued and chain was thrown into spokes and obliterated an XTR drl. Mavic, never again.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've had a set of crossmax sxs since they came out and they're still perfectly fine. I haven't even touched them other than truing the wheels.
Same here, I'm still using a set of 1st gen Crossmax SX. Front wheel is still perfectly true, rear wheel a bit off, but otherwise they have been flawless. Took apart the rear hub after 4 years of use to find the inside of the freehub stil perfectly clean and well lubed.
No remorse, no regret.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
2011, Mavic Cross Trail, msrp $600. Freehub body failed repeatedly due to a plastic bushing that wears very quickly. I replaced the freehub and the bushing several times. But cassette play ensued and chain was thrown into spokes and obliterated an XTR drl. Mavic, never again.

ITS-4 is what you want. I don't know what's on those but they don't have an X in the name so they're obviously sub par.

You know how extreem sportz works.
Needs an X. Usually in the word Max.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
so i clicked around some, spank has those oozy trails on closeout for $44 each. msrp is $75. i might have to pull the trigger.
The Spank Spike Race28 wheels on my wifes DH bike are the hardest rim profile I've ever had to mount tyres on. I snapped my Pedro's levers (lifetime warranty ftw).

I still haven't tried to take the tyres off to mount them tubeless as mounting them with tubes was so much effort.

My Deemax wheels (2010's I think) have been great at the rims, but the bearing pre-load on the rear hub sucks and always has to be checked before riding.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
That is literally the design they started using in like 1998. You got dicked if those really were on some 2011 wheels.

You know how dt swiss 240 hubs work. That's like the equivalent of a dt swiss 12400000
Tell me about it, I loved that XTR rear deraileur.

If you really wanna feel like you've been dicked, just call Mavic customer service department. That is of course once you've acquired the unlisted phone number. They wanted me to take the wheel to a Mavic dealer (that I didn't buy them from) and have them ship the wheel to Mavic so Mavic can then tell me how much it will cost to have them fix what is covered under warranty.

I called I9 after denting my 3 month old wheel and they set me up with an RA and discounted price since I love the wheels and am inexperienced with tubeless. And they're only a couple hours away from where I live.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
so i clicked around some, spank has those oozy trails on closeout for $44 each. msrp is $75. i might have to pull the trigger.
where did you find them at this price? I've been toying with the thought of chinese carbon rims, and I've pretty much decided there's no justification in triple the price compared to these. They're the same weight and quite durable, so that leaves the only benefit "ride quality"... mmmmmyeah, whatever.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
where did you find them at this price? I've been toying with the thought of chinese carbon rims, and I've pretty much decided there's no justification in triple the price compared to these. They're the same weight and quite durable, so that leaves the only benefit "ride quality"... mmmmmyeah, whatever.....
Gravity cartel. Spanks us distributor. Clicked through from their webpage. Quantities were super limited.