Quantcast

Ringing in the New Year with Drugs!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm generally opposed to narcotic drugs until I want them.

Sometime before Christmas I lost a filling and was unable get into my dentist due to his annual holiday. No problem for me as the tooth didn't hurt.

Last Tuesday the entire tooth broke off below the gum line - it flopped around for a bit until I decided to rip it from the gum. I decided to that because EVERY single dentist I called was closed for the week. Boo.

On New Years Eve my face started swelling and by New Years morning I had a full blown abscess that I probably created by pulling my broken tooth out. I ended up in the emergency room of the local hospital to drain the tooth abscess.

They asked me to rate the pain between 1 and 10 - I choose 5 and that resulted in 32 5-500 Hydrocodon Acetaminophen.

I know that's not much but I'm still loopy - I can finally understand the music of morphine.

Plus I have the munchies. :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The last good drugs I had where the result of fractured rib from hitting a tree in the late 90s. Prior to the fracture being visible on x-ray I was on high mg Tylenol - after the x-ray proved I had fractured the rib I was put on Tylenol 4 - they where better...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
When I blew out my knee in '08, I was in pain and didn't know what to do so I went to the ER. They gave me Percocet that got me through two nights of sleep until I saw my knee doc. Turns out the ER's diagnosis was wrong (they said sprain, turns out my knee was focking destroyed :rolleyes: ), but they gave me drugs!

Post-surgery I got Oxycotin...:drool: <---that is a good drool, like after eating a steak

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I always liked Morphines music. I did notice that most songs are either about heroin or about a girl, but could be construed to be about heroin. Of course the lead singer died of an overdose.

That's ****ed up about your tooth. I'm cringing at that ****.

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
I always liked Morphines music. I did notice that most songs are either about heroin or about a girl, but could be construed to be about heroin. Of course the lead singer died of an overdose.

That's ****ed up about your tooth. I'm cringing at that ****.
Mark Sandman died of a heart attack on stage.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
An abscessed to can be removed, a blown-out knee is forever - you should get a refill...
Blown out knee forever huh..... A couple of us monkeys here know that all too well

Personally..... I dont take narcotic pain killers..... they just dont work for me as a pain killer. Docs have tried giving me everything, just doesnt kill pain, makes me hi as a kite, but wont touch the pain level. Even Lanacain and Novacain dont work. Well I shouldnt say they dont work, they just last for a fraction of the time they are supposed to last. So I jsut decided long ago I am not going to take norcotic pain killers. Its pretty sad when advil works better for pain than oxy.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
i broke my arm racing DH at Windham, had a plate and six screws put in. they gave me multiple doses of Morphine on the way to the hospital, it just made me feel warm and slightly nauseous.
then the ER nurse said she was totally unopposed to pushing large amounts of drugs gave me 2 large doses of Dialudid. I was kinda looking foward to a great experience (she said i would probably become incoherent and pass out in about 15 minutes and it would be like Heroin) but, I was totally let down, sober feeling and in massive amounts of pain. after that i was given more morphine despite asking for something else, prescribed large amounts of hydrocodone which also is pretty much worthless, and i promptly stopped taking.
why dont drugs work for me?!? :disgust1:

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
Yes, I have become comfortably numb...

hands down my favorite band.
regarding the pain pills i guess im 'lucky'...
a few pretty substantial orthopedic injuries and a hernia thanks to riding resulted in prescription of dilaudin (hydromorphone i believe) and was able to stop taking them after the recovery process w/no withdrawal affects.
i dindt 'like' them at all, they just did a job.
when i broke my heel i was very direct w/the doctor explaining the hand injury and the escalation of increasing stronger prescriptions but arriving at dilaudin...so i dint want to go through that again. after a measured pause he replied 'you have had a legitimate exposure' to pain and granted my request.
i always thought his reply was direct albeit amusing.

sorry to hear about your ER trip but glad you rocked the NYE Pink Floyd style.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hate pills.
Always would taper off the pain meds as soon as possible when I was recovering from injuries. Vicodin just made me feel itchy and nauseous, Percocet made me throw up. Morphine worked, but they only gave me a tiny bit to take the edge off. I will admit the Vicodin did its job, took the pain away, but I hated the loopy feeling it gave me.

The scary thing is how quickly they will just write you a script for Vicodin for just about anything. I had 3 scripts I didn't even fill because I didn't need them, one for my wisdom teeth, one for my ribs, and another for when they pulled a broken tooth. Over the counter Tylenol did the trick for me.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
After i tore my ACL 2 years ago, i was found playing guitar hero for 5 hours, but wait! the TV wasnt on. :rofl: My answer to this you ask, after being totally dumbfounded "uh, im practicing"

* i am still yet to beat some of the scores set. 95%+ on expert!

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
They asked me to rate the pain between 1 and 10 - I choose 5
Not a bad answer but I feel you could improve :)

I got asked the same one when I dislocated my shoulder and answered "****en 11" and they gave me Midazolam which was awesome since morphine was only taking the edge off things.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The last good drugs I had where the result of fractured rib from hitting a tree in the late 90s. Prior to the fracture being visible on x-ray I was on high mg Tylenol - after the x-ray proved I had fractured the rib I was put on Tylenol 4 - they where better...
You had pain killers for a fractured rib, did you trip over your zimmerframe and hit the tree? Are you 100, it can't be that easy to get pain meds surely?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
From teh Mayo Clinic

A broken rib, or fractured rib, is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks. The most common cause of broken ribs is trauma to the chest, such as from a fall, motor vehicle accident or impact during contact sports.

Many broken ribs are merely cracked. While still painful, cracked ribs aren't as potentially dangerous as ribs that have been broken into two or more pieces. In these situations, a jagged piece of bone could damage major blood vessels or internal organs.

In most cases, broken ribs usually heal on their own in one or two months. Adequate pain control is important, so you can continue to breathe deeply and avoid lung complications, such as pneumonia.

You had pain killers for a fractured rib, did you trip over your zimmerframe and hit the tree? Are you 100, it can't be that easy to get pain meds surely?
I think you've just established yourself as an internet turd. Fortunately, for the rest of us, there is a flush option. :D

Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Vicodin allowed me to ride at Diablo with a dislocated shoulder.
Vicodin and whiskey allowed me to punch out windows and try to stab someone.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
From teh Mayo Clinic

A broken rib, or fractured rib, is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks. The most common cause of broken ribs is trauma to the chest, such as from a fall, motor vehicle accident or impact during contact sports.

Many broken ribs are merely cracked. While still painful, cracked ribs aren't as potentially dangerous as ribs that have been broken into two or more pieces. In these situations, a jagged piece of bone could damage major blood vessels or internal organs.

In most cases, broken ribs usually heal on their own in one or two months. Adequate pain control is important, so you can continue to breathe deeply and avoid lung complications, such as pneumonia.

I think you've just established yourself as an internet turd. Fortunately, for the rest of us, there is a flush option. :D
I'd done that long ago, you've revealed yourself a little sissy that can't take a bit of pain and needs to tell the whole world about it when in pain. Seriously grow a pair and suck it up, if you can't cope without your magical drugs take up chess.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Don't discount the fun factor...

I'd done that long ago, you've revealed yourself a little sissy that can't take a bit of pain and needs to tell the whole world about it when in pain. Seriously grow a pair and suck it up, if you can't cope without your magical drugs take up chess.
I haven't been trolled in a very long time - reminds me of the good old days. :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
when i broke my femur they loaded me up on dilaudid. its fun watching drs and nurses trying to explain stuff when you cant pay attention for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Man that sure was alot of fun whil eyou were hiking up FOntana witha c ane and a megaphone. I thought I was going to have to knock that dumb**** out for trying to beat up a cripple.

Well first off....... Being one that has dealt with some major chest injuries..... You should back down a bit. There are different ways ribs break, different way they crack. They can cause varying levels of pain for people. Some people will need pain management just so they can move at all, or even sleep. Trust me on this one, I have cacked ribs were it wasnt so bad....... all the way to the point of having to be intibated<sp> to keep breathing and kept under heavy sedation since painkillers dont work with me.

I am not advocating narcotic pain killers, in fact I am very much the opposite type of person. I am an advocate for using your head to control your pain and keep inline.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I got my wisdon teeth pulled awhile back and they gave me 40 Oxycocets, i was in no pain at all so i saved them, the following two weeks were the best of my life.

!HEART!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well first off....... Being one that has dealt with some major chest injuries..... You should back down a bit. There are different ways ribs break, different way they crack. They can cause varying levels of pain for people. Some people will need pain management just so they can move at all, or even sleep. Trust me on this one, I have cacked ribs were it wasnt so bad....... all the way to the point of having to be intibated<sp> to keep breathing and kept under heavy sedation since painkillers dont work with me.

I am not advocating narcotic pain killers, in fact I am very much the opposite type of person. I am an advocate for using your head to control your pain and keep inline.

I have no problem with people taking painkillers for legit reasons(which Serial Midgets probably were). However when someone comes out and admits how good they feel whilst on prescription drugs and then everyone else bangs on about which on is the best that just doesn't sit right with me.

The way I see it is if I refuse pain meds after a crash it may make me think a bit more before attempting something stupid next time I'm on the trails.