Quantcast

Ringle front hub play

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Hi all,
I've got a question about by front hub on my 2006 Glory: the front wheel (Ringle hub riding in a Travis 203 fork) has play between the axle and the hub bushings. The bearings are fine. The axle doesn't look worn enough to have the play I'm seeing. Do the hub bushings wear? Or is it a combination of the two having wear? Or something else is the issue? Thanks in advance-

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
There is probably some wear somwhere inside the bearings, I can't see any other part of a Ringle hub causing play in such a short amount of time.
Bearings are cheap for that hub, just replace them.

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Not to argue, but I've taken the wheel off and checked out where the movement is, and it's not in the bearings. That was my first thought too. The play is definitely between the axle and the hub bushings. I just don't know which would wear.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Not to argue, but I've taken the wheel off and checked out where the movement is, and it's not in the bearings. That was my first thought too. The play is definitely between the axle and the hub bushings. I just don't know which would wear.
Axle and hub bushings :confused:

Are you saying there is play even when the hub is clamped in the fork ?
If so it can only be the bearings. IMO those hubs are complete crap.
The inboard rotor side bearing position always causes premature wear.

wfoerk

Chimp
Jan 6, 2010
Axle and hub bushings :confused:

Are you saying there is play even when the hub is clamped in the fork ?
If so it can only be the bearings. IMO those hubs are complete crap.
The inboard rotor side bearing position always causes premature wear.
On my front wheel there is a bushing that fits inside of the bearings, one piece through both bearings, then the axle goes through it. There is play between them, not in the bearings. I'm gonna have a buddy who's a machinist make me a new bushing. Not much I can do about the hubs being crap; it's what I got for now.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Apologies. I thought we were talking about the Abbah SOS hub.

Good luck with it.