Quantcast

Ringle hubs = cr*p?

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I've just taken apart my g/f's front hub as the bearings have felt decidedly sloppy since day one (2nd hand wheel). They seemed to be getting worse so time for change.

Eventually got out the disc side one out(total nightmare and they decided not to bother tapering or staggering the size of the hole) the other side wasn't a problem. Got it back together pretty easily, back on the bike, still sloppy!

its seems to be that the outboard spacers fit the axle poorly, so no amount of tightening the bolt through will tighten everything up.

Is this a common issue or have we landed a one off? Either way its a pretty poor show for something made up of only 6 components!

Mark

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
i´ve been running a front Ringle abbah hub for 6 years now, and ive only changed the bearings once (3 years ago) and i ride quite a lot...

theres always cases that a part fails for no good reason..

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
I have been running Sun Ringle Abbah hubs for like 4 years now and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The only maintanence that I have to do with them is just take them apart clean them and regrease them. That was only one time. Bummer that you have had problems with yours though.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Junk. At least, for what they cost.

****ty bearings, stupid damn spacer, heavy, poor engagement, and really, nothing to justify the cost or honor the name they have.

And for the front, a monkey with a head injury, a block of aluminum, a spoon, and a drawing on a cocktail napkin could make a decent front hub. Ain't that hard.

While I haven't tried them personally, I have heard nothing but good things about the Hopes.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland

****ty bearings, stupid damn spacer, heavy, poor engagement, and really, nothing to justify the cost or honor the name they have.

And for the front, a monkey with a head injury, a block of aluminum, a spoon, and a drawing on a cocktail napkin could make a decent front hub. Ain't that hard.

While I haven't tried them personally, I have heard nothing but good things about the Hopes.
I don't know what they retail for, but for what I got mine for there was no better deal. Hopes or hadley's woulda been 2-3 times as much.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....

There's part of the issue. I've got BULBs on my bike so comparing them really shows up how poor the Ringle is

As you said they aren't complicated bits of kit so what the hell are they playing at?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I had an outboard spacer issue when I first got my hub. The symptom was that no matter what I did the brake rotor rubbed mounting hardware and barely fit in the caliper. It took me forever to figure out that it was not the brake hardware but that the stupid aluminum spacer thingy was not machined properly and was too narrow, so narrow that I had zero clearance between rotor and mounting hardware no matter how I adjusted the mounting hardware. I took it up with Sun and they sent me a different spacer and it's worked fine ever since.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, lets see.

i broke the end of a free hub body off. so then the cassette just fell off.

bent the inner axle, which then messed up the freehub, again.. strange my axle on the bike was ok

i've seen the inner axle just snap more then enough times. what a pain that is to remove.

pawls are made of butter. the pawl spring is someone's pewb. there's no real seal between the freehub and the main body. its always dirty when ever i take it apart.

yup, i've also seen the machined wrong parts aswell. sad

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
bent the inner axle, which then messed up the freehub, again.. strange my axle on the bike was ok

i've seen the inner axle just snap more then enough times. what a pain that is to remove.
I did that twice on my old demo. No fun.