Quantcast

RIP Anthony Sloan

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
As sad as I am to have seen the news, the posts on bikemojo have given me a little faith in humanity. I knew we had a great crew in Central Texas, but seeing everyone's grief really has driven me to notice it more. Truly a sad day. The world will miss him. And I mean all of the world. I never knew anyone so highly revered in a community as Anthony was in our cycling community. On the upside, I got to consider him my friend.

We'll miss him. :(

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
John, I saw him about 2 months ago out at RHR. Every time he drove the yeti truck into town I was leaving the country on the same day. Last time I was actually in town (yeah crappy economy!) so I got to ride a bike, talk to him for an hour afterward, have a beer with him and remember the good old days.

I remember coutless greenbelt rides with him and even some laps at city park. My favorite memory was a run through Ed's Bowl with A, oldschooler, climber, DaveM and some others. I could hardly keep up with their pace, so A kept regrouping to make sure that I made it the whole way.

He was a class act.

Plus, he was the guy that effortlessly cleaned the huge switchback on Jedi. You might remember that spot, it's where you snapped your rear hub. Watching him fly up that on the karate monkey was truly amazing.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
below Is An Email I Just Received, And I Thought I Would Share With You All....

Dear Friends,

I Have Some News I Wanted To Share With Everyone:

Anthony's Family Has Received A Preliminary Autopsy Report. As Far As I Can Understand It (and, Honestly, I Really Can't...), Anthony Died In His Sleep, Of Natural Causes. The Coroner's Office Found That His Heart Was Enlarged And Are Attributing His Death To This Condition. Apparently This Heart Problem Has Different Causes, And We're Not Sure At This Point If Those Can Be Determined Or Not. It Does Not Appear That Anthony Died Of A Brain Aneurysm, As We All Suspected Given His Family History. We Do Not Yet Have The Written Report, But Rest Assured, It Will Be Studied And Explored By His Family. The Good News Is That Anthony Most Likely Was Not Aware Of Any Problem, And Probably Never Woke. He Died Peacefully And Painlessly, Which Is A Small Comfort To Know.

Regarding A Memorial Service. Anthony's Family And Close Friends Have Begun The Process Of Sifting Through His Life, Papers, And Belongings. There Is A Great Deal Of Time Pressure, As The House Has To Be Vacated In A Few Weeks. Given Those Constraints, And The Fact That We're All Still Reeling In Shock, We Decided That We Really Don't Have The Energy To Take On The Planning Of A Large Memorial Service Here In Colorado At This Time. I Know That Anthony's Co-workers At Yeti Cycles Are Planning A Ride And Bbq In Evergreen In Anthony's Honor This Coming Friday, To Which All Are Welcome. I Don't Have The Details On That, But Have Been Told Information On This Ride Has Been Widely Circulated On The Online Biking Forums. If You Need Me To Get Them For You, I Can.

When The Dust Has Settled Later This Summer, Dave Morse Is Planning To Host A Weekend Ride, Probably In Crested Butte, In Anthony's Honor. Of Course, All Who Knew And Loved Anthony Will Be Welcome To That Event As Well. For Those Who Had Expressed Interest In Remembering Anthony With A Biking Road Trip To Colorado, I Feel That This Would Be The Better Event To Attend. I Will Forward Information On This As It Gets Figured Out.

When I Return To Austin, I Will Plan Some Sort Of Wake To Occur There In The Next Week Or Two. I Will, Of Course, Keep You Posted.

Anthony's Body Will Be Cremated, And His Family Will Scatter His Ashes In Utah, At Cedar Mesa, Where Anthony's Father's Ashes Were Also Scattered. Anthony's Family Will Continue To Maintain His Website. www.anthonysloan.com. It Is An Amazing Repository Of His Photography, Writing, And Travel Chronicles.

You Are Welcome To Send Correspondence And Remembrances To Anthony's Sister, Jasmine, At The Address Below:

Jasmine Star

Tetonia, Id 83452

It Has A Been A Blessing For Me To Be Here, With Anthony's Nearest And Dearest, Over The Last Few Days. There Have Been Alot Of Tears, But More Than That, A Huge Appreciation For Anthony, His Life, And The Communities He Seemed To Create Wherever He Went.

That's All For Now. Please Feel Free To Email Me If You Have Questions...

With Much Love And Gratitude For All Of You,

Karen
~~0~~

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
A huge thanks to everyone that showed up today. We had about 20 start and ran into a few more on the trail.

This no better tribute to the guy that used to love the greenbelt than to get together the people who loved him and used to ride with him, for one more ride. And one more beer.

I can't say it's the last ride because Tuesday night will be a special event at City Park in Austin. I will miss the ride, but I am going to try to drop in for a beer afterward.

Pics are here:

http://www.austinbike.com/rides/BCGB051009/index.asp

A great start:

Fun on the rocks:

Taking a break:

Goodbye my friend, this beer's for you:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
AB got it right; Anthony was a class act. Selfless & tireless, and a fine rider as well. Our paths crossed several times a year - most recently in Moab over Prez Day - and I was always the richer for it. For those inclined to prayer, please include Dave, Carrie and Ari in addition to Anthony's family. This has to be a crushing for all of them.
- Joe

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Somehow I missed this one, but what a fantastic tribute. Someday I hope to have riding buddies who will fete my demise in a similiar way...sounds like a life well lived.