Quantcast

RIP Clif Antone

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
one of the reason's Austin's music scene is what it is. i even have his cell number on my phone. :(

Clifford Antone Passes Away

May 24, 2006, 11:25 AM

Austin musicians and blues fans are mourning the sudden death of Clifford Antone.

His club, Antone's, is known worldwide as the blues club welcoming both the famous and soon-to-be-famous like family.

Antone was a legend in Austin and around the world. He's credited with launching the careers of some of the biggest names in blues and rock and roll and pivotal in the birth of the live music scene in Austin. But area musicians and music-lovers also considered him a friend.

Antone died Tuesday at the age of 56. A friend of musicians young and old, and founder of the club that bears his name, he was a complex man. His club and record label enjoyed great success, surviving even after Antone spent time in prison on a drug conviction.

But even with his misdeeds, Antone's star never dimmed and his devotion to the blues never wavered. As news of his passing spread, friends and fans gathered to share their grief.

"He told me, he said, 'Well, you know Saturday I've got a really good strong band out here Saturday night, and I won't see you Saturday but I'll see you Tuesday,'" James White, owner of the Broken Spoke, said, "and that's today. You know, this is the one, and, you know, I'm just devastated."

Austin Mayor Will Wynn issued a statement saying "One of the primary reasons Austin is known as the Live Music Capital of the World is because of Clifford Antone. His devotion to the music spoke for itself. He was my friend, and I will miss him dearly. I ask Austinites to join with me and remember the music giant this city has lost and the great things he brought to our community."

Police say it appears Antone died of natural causes and was not a suspicious death.

Antone's family is expected to make a statement later Wednesday.

Musicians from all over will be here starting at 4 p.m. Wednesday for a tribute to the man behind the music.