Quantcast

RIP Dan and Chris

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well as most of you have read, two of my friends were missing in the desert. After long searches involving many many people...Dan Carbonaro and Chris Rice were found dead this afternoon outside of the Randsburg area. I'm really going to miss these guys and especially Dan since he got me going with all my DH riding/racing and has been an awesome guy to ride moto with too. The last thing I said to Dan a couple weeks ago at the local moto track was "keep the rubber side down man, can't wait to ride again." Never going to forget those words.

RIP Dan and Chris, gonna miss you!!

Btw, here's an article on the whole thing.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/22/us/california-missing-atvers/index.html

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I'm so sorry man. I know what it feels like to lose a real bro. Happened to me, my friend bled to death earlier this year after he hit a guard rail on his street bike. Really hits home and makes you love life and makes you realize how good you actually have it.

If this isn't too much to ask, do they know the cause of death?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
So sorry to hear...prayers and healing vibes going out.

I know the Cuddeback area farely well. Its not hard to get lost and/or hurt out there, as well traveled as it is.

Last edited:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
thats terrible. im really sorry to hear that. i was really hoping for a happy ending to this. sending good vibes to you and their families. if you need someone to talk to shoot me a pm. i lost a really close friend a few years ago so i know what youre going through. at least you have a good group to help with support here.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Wow, that really sucks. Was definitely hoping that this story was going to have a bit of a happier ending. I've lost some really close friends over the years so I know what you're going through. Keep you head up dude.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My sincerest condolences to you. I have been watching the other thread and really hoping for a positive outcome. I am very sorry for the loss of your friends.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Damn dude, was really hoping for the search to have a positive outcome. Throw their names on your helmet and crush some races for them this season.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Thanks guys! It's just really strange watching my go-pro videos from two weeks ago and seeing him in them.

I talked to the people that run the local moto track and as soon as things settle down it looks like I'll be helping to organize a ride day to celebrate their lives! I wish it turned out differently but oh well. I'll for sure post something up with the dates of that ride for anyone on here in CA that may want to have a day of riding at an awesome track. Probably going to do a bbq etc. along with the riding.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Anybody in the SB area, there is a memorial for Dan this coming Wed. at Elings Park. Be there or....be fixie. Wow, that was the worst biking joke I've ever made.

But yeah, gonna be a crazy day...spent a lot of time riding with him there.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
This is something that we all sort of accept as being possible in the sort of sports we do, but we never really think it will happen... When it does, it is still tragic though. Sorry to hear it was the case in this instance.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well, we had Dan's memorial today and I gotta say...it was hard sitting there. When one of the guys talking brought out their gloves (not the ones they had when they died) that was a pretty intense feeling. It was also really strange seeing people I rode with many years ago and now seeing them much older and some with families...crazy!

Dan Carbonaro 1984-2011