Quantcast

RIP Dirt rag & Dirt Fest

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Awww, I should have subscribed. I let mine run out when I left the US and wasn't biking much. Loved reading paper magazines on the crapper.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That sucks. I've been getting free magazines for a few years now and they're always a good read. Perfect throne material.

I wonder how this will work. They mention dirtfest is no longer as well, but no mention if this years is cancelled? I know the camping was almost sold out last week... Bunch of us are already registered. Maybe we'll have a few extra days of riding Rothrock?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i bought it for the trials coverage way back when they did that shit....remember their review of the spooky pitboss....brooklyn machine works park bike....

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
From Allegripis Trails FB:

Any further info on this years dirt fests?

• Allegrippis Trails
    Author
    Allegrippis Trails Not happening in it's current guise. Don't completely count us out, though. Watch this space. We might try to get something together. It wouldn't be May without an Allegrippis party, so stay tuned.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
What a huge loss for the Pittsburgh area and mountain biking as a whole...I grew up riding w/ and looking up to all the guys at the mag. I eventually became one of them started doing product reviews here and there. RIP to the Rag.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Our advertising/sponsorship POC at the magazine told us "as it stands, Dirt Fest events are not happening. They are in discussions with the venue owners to see if they are able to host their own events."

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I hope the venues are able to do some type of event but it won't be the same...Not sure the vendor draw will be there to make it similar.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I hope the venues are able to do some type of event but it won't be the same...Not sure the vendor draw will be there to make it similar.
The first couple were Rag-sponsored but organized by other people. I don't think it's unrealistic for a new sponsor to step up and an event to continue.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That sucks. I've got a big old stack of paper Dirt Rags laying around. Subscription lapsed a couple years back and I never picked it back up for a variety of reasons I can't even recall now. RIP paper media.

Last edited:

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Dammit! I was seriously considering Dirtfest this year since I'd never been and that NEMBAfest ain't happening this year. :shakefist:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Did you register for this years? All of my friends who paid have been told that's its basically not happening. They are requesting refunds through their credit cards... I procrastinated and didn't register, so kind of lucked out. Not so much for one buddy who registered himself, 3 kids and purchased merch for all of them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Did you register for this years? All of my friends who paid have been told that's its basically not happening. They are requesting refunds through their credit cards... I procrastinated and didn't register, so kind of lucked out. Not so much for one buddy who registered himself, 3 kids and purchased merch for all of them.
i heard a rumor that refunds probably won't happen as they may be facing bankruptcy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i heard a rumor that refunds probably won't happen as they may be facing bankruptcy.
I don't think it's a maybe, it sounds like they are. Two of the guys I know messaged or emailed them and were told that no refunds are available and to contact their lawyer.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Are you specifically referencing PA or WV, they are differing land managers so I would anticipate each scenario working out differently...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are you specifically referencing PA or WV, they are differing land managers so I would anticipate each scenario working out differently...
Both.. The tickets for the events were sold by DirtRag through Eventbrite, so "Dirtfest" and its funds sound like they are consumed in the bankruptcy.

Sounds like if a new festival of some sort takes its place, at either location, that they might honor your registration. Otherwise hit up your credit card and request a refund for products not delivered - in this case you have proof that the event has been cancelled and aren't getting a refund of any sort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
WVA event is still on:

----------------------------
Dirt Rag Dirt Fest WV is now under new ownership and will be moving forward as the Bike Bash at Big Bear West Virginia. The venue owners will host the festival on the originally scheduled dates (July 17-19, 2020). The team will leverage their turn-key infrastructure and 20+ years of promotion experience. They are looking forward to another awesome festival weekend.

The event features an amazing trail-network, campfires, group rides, shuttle service, bands, family-friendly activities. The expo will offer bike and gear demos and product sampling opportunities. Attendees can expect a welcoming vibe true to Wild Wonderful West Virginia with trails that will provide thrills for all skill levels and views that can’t be beat.

Join the fun and let your customers demo the latest bike technology, get up close and personal with new products, or if they’re curious - try an electric mountain bike. The technical trails will provide your customers with a challenge and will give them a true sense of how your product performs. Unlike many mountain bike festivals, class 1 pedal assist ebikes are allowed on the trails at this event.

Information, including booth rates, sponsorship opportunities, and weekend schedules can be found here: demodays.com/bikebashwv

Over the past three years, participation numbers have increased steadily. New sign-ups are coming in each day with over 1,000+ attendees expected. The July timing has been perfect to draw a crowd of eager vacation travelers and families. Attendee passes and accomodations may be reserved here: demodays.com/bikebashwv

Bike Bash WV will take place the weekend before Outerbike Killington, VT allowing your demo drivers to make the most of Eastern travels by planning several stops. Our venue is ideally located to draw large crowds and offer your demo drivers the opportunity to visit local dealers, with Pittsburgh 1.5hrs away and 3hrs to Baltimore & Washington, D.C.

“We were sad to see our event partner, Dirt Rag Magazine, close its doors after 30 years in the magazine business but we’re uniquely positioned to take over this very popular festival without skipping a beat”, says, Jeff Simcoe, Big Bear’s Recreation Land Manager.

There is also a contest currently running; Anybody joining the email list will be entered for a chance to win a VIP Package for two. The prize includes event passes, a campsite, and a parking pass. **Note: If the winner has already registered, their payment will be refunded** https://swiy.io/joinbikebashwvnewsletter

Eric Butler of DemoDays.com and will help with exhibitor registrations and sponsorships.

Eric Butler

303-800-7088

eric@demodays.com

Want to reserve your space now? Book your space using the online form at: https://www.demodays.com/exhibit/exhibit-at-the-2020-bike-bash-at-big-bear-wv

For all other event questions, contact Jeff Simcoe - BikeBashWV@gmail.com