Quantcast

RIP General Yeager

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep, and by many accounts, an asshole.

My dad worked underneath him as a crew chief when Chuckles was a squadron commander and hated his guts. His most favorite story is about getting chewed out by chuck because a bunch of airplanes were not flight ready. Apparently my dad stormed back into his office with a fist full of direct orders from Chuck that made it impossible for airplanes to be flight ready according to the orders (inspection requirements on top of directions to defer inspections or some other paperwork bullshit).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My dad worked underneath him as a crew chief when Chuckles was a squadron commander and hated his guts. His most favorite story is about getting chewed out by chuck because a bunch of airplanes were not flight ready. Apparently my dad stormed back into his office with a fist full of direct orders from Chuck that made it impossible for airplanes to be flight ready according to the orders (inspection requirements on top of directions to defer inspections or some other paperwork bullshit).
And I don't completely blame him, as some just introverted or don't like other people and our perception of who is a "hero" is bullshit. Everyone automatically thinks everyone in the military is a hero, but the cooks that will never see combat or other roles that would never see the same? What about teachers? What about people with the backbone to protest the Vietnam War? It's always skewed and some people are just assholes and they'll never live up to the public's perception. I don't blame them for that part of it, because our perception is the bullshit part. Doesn't mean they aren't assholes, but the term "hero" is used way way too much, so much that it doesn't mean jack shit IMO. Notice how test-pilot and NASA was a white-guys-only club until the 80s. Yeah, these guys were heros braving the wave of privilege.