Quantcast

RIP: George Carlin

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Carlin did a TON of coke during the 70's and even admitted to being coked off his a$$ while hosting the very first episode of SNL back in '75. So 71 in Carlin years would be like 198 in normal years... the moral of the story: Cocaine is a hell of a drug.
So does this mean if I want to be funny, skinny, well paid and get out when I hope to get out, that I should start a coke habit?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
One of the best of all time. I think it's personally a relief to hear a celebrity/comedian made it to old age while still living things up in his earlier glory days. Tough mofo.

I think he will be the last truly articulate comedian we will ever see. It just doesn't happen anymore.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
RIP to a cat who was (alledgedly) court martialed 3 times during his 4 year Air Force career...I bet he gave MFers fits! Too funny for a uniform!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I am sitting here tonight really quite torn up about this.

The reality is that every year of the last 8 years have seen men like Carlin, Thompson, Vonnegut, etc, go to the wayside, with no possible heir to the thrones left behind by their passings.

I am really worried about this whole thing. Now its all based on an attention that can be measured in the same amount of time it takes gnats to ****. You get 15 seconds now, and nothing remains. We've become this raving bunch of socially myopic, personally relative, all knowing master ****s of the universe, and we no longer reward those willing to poke the whole system in the eye.

Now its bend over, take it, and hope to allah that you have a job tomorrow.

This is a sad week.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I am sitting here tonight really quite torn up about this.

The reality is that every year of the last 8 years have seen men like Carlin, Thompson, Vonnegut, etc, go to the wayside, with no possible heir to the thrones left behind by their passings.

I am really worried about this whole thing. Now its all based on an attention that can be measured in the same amount of time it takes gnats to ****. You get 15 seconds now, and nothing remains. We've become this raving bunch of socially myopic, personally relative, all knowing master ****s of the universe, and we no longer reward those willing to poke the whole system in the eye.

Now its bend over, take it, and hope to allah that you have a job tomorrow.

This is a sad week.
We still have Carrot Top.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Being a young child in the early 90s, then seeing his comedy later on, I remember going "WTF?!" when I found out the same guy telling all those hilarious and crude jokes was the same guy as Mr. Conductor from Shining Time Station.

He was a funny bastard and will be missed.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I have been thinking about what you said here. What your big three did was was talk/write our collective nightmares and make us laugh. But even while we were laughing there was feeling of impending doom.

On the surface it seems right, we will never have their voices again, but there are some brilliant people still writing.

I have really been digging Alexie Sherman's stuff. His last book (The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian) was wickedly funny and heart wrenchingly sad at the same time. The kicker is that it is a childrens book. He is that damn good.

Some of Chris Rock's bits are genious. Dennis Miller accidently has has been amazing once or twice. I am curious what they will achieve in the future as well.

The world of comedy has been dumbed down, even Mencia who is super critical or our society is pretty lame, simply resorting to the most obvious of bits.

We have certainly lost some great people lately. And your right, the weak slap stick and poop jokes we are getting fed by Hollywood just doesn't compare.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Lewis Black?
Ok, he's funny, but in truth the eloquence and rawness of Carlin just isn't there. Different guys, so they will have to be different in style, but a lot of the time I think that Black's stuff is stichk.

I think Dennis Leary is a rip, but his is more anger then it is wit.

Just so long as Chevy Chase lives to be 135, I'll be alright.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
David Cross FTW. He's not afraid to say the most vile sh1t I've ever heard. Not quite as boisterous as Carlin but definitely a good one. Eddie Izard's standup is good too.

Carlin will be missed for sure though.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
The world of comedy has been dumbed down, even Mencia who is super critical or our society is pretty lame, simply resorting to the most obvious of bits.
Mencia is a good performer and that's where his ability ends. He steals other comics' work. Personally, I have no desire to watch an unoriginal thief in action.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle

Isn't that all part of the MTV/ reality-show culture? :twitch:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Isn't that all part of the MTV/ reality-show culture? :twitch:
Yea, it really is.
Soon as I land the gig of dictator or angel of death I am going to level MTV, VH1, etc etc like I was R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket. I will PT them until their assholes suck buttermilk for ever putting "the real world" on television.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yea, it really is.
Soon as I land the gig of dictator or angel of death I am going to level MTV, VH1, etc etc like I was R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket. I will PT them until their assholes suck buttermilk for ever putting "the real world" on television.
Liar!

You'd turn all of those channels into a 24/7 Poop-o-rama, and you know it.:biggrin:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Liar!

You'd turn all of those channels into a 24/7 Poop-o-rama, and you know it.:biggrin:
Wait, how would that be any different then what we have now?

Though an all the time rerun of "2 girls one cup" might have potential.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
It has been said that the true nature of good comedy is that it makes us uncomfortable. Carlin exposed the raw nerve of our true natures incisively and insightfully, while ripping into our hypocritical and self centered ways as Americans.
He will be missed, as we are left with Mencia and Carrot Top (Shudderr...) freak show geeks who really are only funny when they rip off others bits. Miller was funny, as was Leary, but they have both gone "straight" and seem to take themselves a littel too seriously. I agree with the earlier poster who asked who will take Carlins place?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I agree with the earlier poster who asked who will take Carlins place?
Chappelle? Chappelle is sort of a next generation Carlin IMO....different material and approach clearly....but as far as content, they both bring world issues/sociological issues underlying everywhere to the spotlight as a common theme. The way they both tell it like it is and make us realize how hypocritical and stupid we are at times is quite similar.

Chappelle is a lot more shtick and "goofy" in his TV show, but a lot of the content on it (and even more in his standup) deal with serious racial/political issues, and he has a lot of those "did he really just say that?!" moments.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Miller was funny, as was Leary, but they have both gone "straight" and seem to take themselves a littel too seriously. I agree with the earlier poster who asked who will take Carlins place?
Henry Rollins is funnier than them by light years, even though he has become kind of a douche.