Quantcast

RIP Jordie Lunn

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Crashed my bike on a jump, later I heard I probably landed on a huge rock with my front wheel and took it out of the ground cpmpletely.
Went over the bars head first into the ground where I appearently kept sliding for a good 13ft.

Broke my collarbone, two ribs and had a concussion.
Collarbone wouldnt heal by itself so had to get surgery 7 weeks later, which meant removing a bunch of bone growth and breaking everything into place and holding it there by screwing in a metal plate.

Crash was june 16th and Im going to PT twice a week now. Slowly getting the range of motion back in my arm but still a long way to go.

Wasnt even a huge jump or anything, just got really unlucky.
Imho with collarbones, I'd go to surgery without testing if it will heal even if it means paying out of pocket (you can always do it in Poland cheaply and on a high level)

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I did a collarbone a few years ago (and scapula, and a bunch of soft tissue damage, plus a solid knock on the head). The screws in the plate were doing their best to peek out and say hello after a few months, and the skin was stretched unnervingly tight over the hardware, so I opted for removal.

Good luck with the recovery and healing. Don't skimp in the PT.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I did a collarbone a few years ago (and scapula, and a bunch of soft tissue damage, plus a solid knock on the head). The screws in the plate were doing their best to peek out and say hello after a few months, and the skin was stretched unnervingly tight over the hardware, so I opted for removal.

Good luck with the recovery and healing. Don't skimp in the PT.
Doing two sessions a week now and multiple exercises at home 3 times a day...
Its slow but Im making progress.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Wasnt even a huge jump or anything, just got really unlucky.
Heal up dude. That sucks.

Get your plat out asap
The screw holes really weaken the bone, will never be strong with the plate.
I had a plate for 10 years, i kept refracturing from stupid things. Could take a spil, feel fine, then a week later pick something up and feel massive flex in the bone, well, you can crack one side of the screw and within a week it will fatigueg the rlbone bone and be cracked all the way through. Pulled the plate out, been rock solid.
Seeing the surgeon tomorrow regarding the removal of a plate in my hand that has been there since April. I dunno if its weaker or not, but the range of motion sucks at the moment cos the finger tendon sticks to the plate.

I had a buddy crash badly and ended up with a catastrophically fucked arm when a plate installed from a previous crash ripped out of the bone.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yea, and plenty of people have no issues with it post op. Like I said, there's a bunch of factors that'll determine whether it's problematic post op.
Its basic engineering man.
Drill some holes in your chainstay and screw a plate on with some wood screws.

Guess where yout chain stay is going to break next ride.

Lets try on the HT drill some big ones and put some lag bolts through, lets see how that fix holds uo

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its basic engineering man.
Drill some holes in your chainstay and screw a plate on with some wood screws.

Guess where yout chain stay is going to break next ride.

Lets try on the HT drill some big ones and put some lag bolts through, lets see how that fix holds uo
Revision surgery to remove internal fixation isn't without it's risks. There are voids left from the screws (which often times go entirely through the bone) which will take time to heal, and under certain circumstances it's not possible to remove 100% of the hardware. So much of it is dependent upon an individual patient case that you can't just blanket state "oh just have it removed". It has to be reviewed by an orthopedic surgeon.

Dec 3, 2007
Revision surgery to remove internal fixation isn't without it's risks. There are voids left from the screws (which often times go entirely through the bone) which will take time to heal, and under certain circumstances it's not possible to remove 100% of the hardware. So much of it is dependent upon an individual patient case that you can't just blanket state "oh just have it removed". It has to be reviewed by an orthopedic surgeon.
^^^ This ^^^ I've been rolling around with hardware in my wrist and collarbone for 10+ years with no intention of removing it unless absolutely necessary per the advice of my surgeon. A bad enough crash could cause some problems but that's a risk I'm willing to take considering the down time associated with the removal and PT that would go with it.

And like few others here, I let out a fairly loud "Well, Fuck" at lunch when I heard about Jordie's passing. Condolences to his family and friends. He'll be missed far and wide.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My surgeon is concerned that removal will add scar tissue which could cause further issues.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Someone else is doing a sticker with all proceeds to Jordie's Road2Recovery fund: