Quantcast

RIP Malia

May 25, 2006
My mom called to tell me that Malia, our family golden retriever of 10 years passed away last night. This was 2 days after having emergency surgery to have her hemmoraging spleen removed due to unknown causes. She was making a great recovery and was eating and playing again when last night she started vomiting. They rushed her to the vet at 3 am where my parents held her in their arms while she died. Doctor said it was due to a blood clot complications from her injury.

She was the most loyal and friendly dog I ever knew.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet you love can be really tough.

When I burried my cat, I brought scissors out to the grave (my parents live in the country and we burried him in the pasture). My dad thought I wanted to clip a tuft of fur to keep. Instead I cut my hair and placed it on my cat as he lay in the ground. A part of me was going with him, and my hair symbolized that for me. This cat had soul.

So tell us one of your favorite Malia stories. I know you have them...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'm sorry man :( She's a beautiful dog. I recently buried my faithful friend too, and every time I come back from college I expect him to be at the door, ready to jump on me. I cried when we had to put him to sleep.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sorry dude :(

Losing pets is really hard. Feel free to share stories, I always love thinking of the great times I've had with my various family pets.

May 25, 2006
She was a North Shore Oahu mutt. :) I was in the Air Force stationed there as were my parents. Our old childhood dog had passed away about 5 years before, and since me and my brothers had moved away from home, they decided to get another pup. I rode with my mom up to the dirt road houses of Haleiwa with her in response to an ad in the paper. It was a ghetto shack and as soon as we goty out of the car, about 10 little yellow bundles of joy stormed us. My mom knew the one she wanted right away. $150 later and we were cruising home with Malia on my lap. I never even lived at home the ten years she was alive, but even when I hadn't seen her in a year or so, she always knew exactly who I was. She was spoiled rotten too. For years my mom made her dinners by hand: grilled and chopped chicken, pasta and cheese. Supposedly she was a "picky eater."

She could swim alongside my dad for at least a half a mile, would jump off a 6 foot high barge into the ocean, hike for miles and snuggle in bed with her head on the pillow at the end of day.

I have a feeling she's in a place right now where the person throwing her water bottle filled with rocks into the river never gets tired and the In n Out burgers are in constant supply.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
undertheradar said:
She was a North Shore Oahu mutt. :) I was in the Air Force stationed there as were my parents. Our old childhood dog had passed away about 5 years before, and since me and my brothers had moved away from home, they decided to get another pup. I rode with my mom up to the dirt road houses of Haleiwa with her in response to an ad in the paper. It was a ghetto shack and as soon as we goty out of the car, about 10 little yellow bundles of joy stormed us. My mom knew the one she wanted right away. $150 later and we were cruising home with Malia on my lap. I never even lived at home the ten years she was alive, but even when I hadn't seen her in a year or so, she always knew exactly who I was. She was spoiled rotten too. For years my mom made her dinners by hand: grilled and chopped chicken, pasta and cheese. Supposedly she was a "picky eater."

She could swim alongside my dad for at least a half a mile, would jump off a 6 foot high barge into the ocean, hike for miles and snuggle in bed with her head on the pillow at the end of day.

I have a feeling she's in a place right now where the person throwing her water bottle filled with rocks into the river never gets tired and the In n Out burgers are in constant supply.
I am absolutely sure she is there. Thanks for sharing.

Jim

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Oh God, I am so sorry for your loss. My two labs are my best friends and I can only imagine from my own perspective how you must be feeling. Please keep smiling with all the good memories.

Years ago, I lost my young collie mix in a car accident four months after my dad had died. My mom said something really comforting to me - she told me that she thought my dad must have needed Bubba to keep him company. :) In some sort of weird way that helped.

While nothing but time truly dulls the pain (and there is no doubt you will always miss her) - keeping hold of all the laughs and special times during the toughest moments can help. You will most certainly be in my thoughts.

My deepest condolences.

Jen

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I am sorry for your loss.

After loosing a dog myself, I realized that dogs give us unconditional love which for me is why it is so hard for me to deal with the death of pets. As for the dogs they usually show this unconditional love with the eyes, a wag of the tail or warm shoulder against your leg as you walk along. In return dogs check for love with a cold wet nose nudge (usually) as you are resting on a couch or hammock. They will give you the eyes, wag the tail and wait for a pat on the head just to know you still love them back. It is the ability for me to say I still love you, and remember you that hurts the most.

for those of you who have lost pets you understand.

it is with welling eyes that I remember those that have graced me with their presence, and wish you and your family my condolensces and well wishes getting through this tough time.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
brungeman said:
After loosing a dog myself, I realized that dogs give us unconditional love which for me is why it is so hard for me to deal with the death of pets. As for the dogs they usually show this unconditional love with the eyes, a wag of the tail or warm shoulder against your leg as you walk along. In return dogs check for love with a cold wet nose nudge (usually) as you are resting on a couch or hammock. They will give you the eyes, wag the tail and wait for a pat on the head just to know you still love them back. It is the ability for me to say I still love you, and remember you that hurts the most.
Amen.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
we just had to put my golden retriever down at age 9..she was awesome, good to little kids, swam in the pool, always happy..then she got cancer, gave her kemo and then she wouldn't eat and the kemo didn't do anything..she had a tumor in her stomach so it hurt to eat..we had to put her down may 25th of this year..it really sucks, we built her a coffin and buried her in the back yard..i've been having funky dreams with her in it..i don't know..it sucks, it really is like having a brother or sister die since they have been with you for a long time, and its not like you could ever be mad at them either, they can't talk or do you wrong..its like your best friend who is furry and slobbers everywhere..i know what it feels like..still relateivly new..i still call her to go swimming and stuff, and i'm like **** shes not here...my little sister who is 2..she got a dog bone and laid on her bed which we still have in the house and she yell "jord" since her name is "jordan".she isn't old enough to get it, so i told her she is moving..and the day she told her she was, she goes jord don't move! its guna be easier since she hasn't hit conscieness yet..but still really does suck.