Quantcast

RIP, Roe vs. Wade.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I try and think a lot about what I want the future in my own life and for my descendants to look like. For me I started further out and worked back. At a broad scale I want intelligent life to continue to exist in the universe — ‘the universe should experience itself’. I want those lives to be not horrible, in fact I want them to be awesome lives with enough context to keep them pointed forward and with the least suffering that is required to do so. I want science and technology to progress along with moral progress. I want people and life generally to be safe except where people can choose for themselves to not be safe. I don’t think people should be enticed to do things unless they are refusing to acknowledge harm they are visiting on others. I think a broad and deep education is really important. So it goes, and ends with religious misogyny is some fucked up bullshit.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
This is really good. The criticism of the left that they (we) don’t have a ‘single unifing goal’ is true, because the left tries to deal with real life which is genuinely ‘complicated’. I think the left/progressives need a ‘view of the future’ that can contain all these nuances. The right has a simple set of ‘whales’ and stays on point to destroy these. Of course it’s easier to destroy.
100% agreed that the weak spot in the liberal armor is that the farther left you go the more complicated it gets to address the array of issues in a multifaceted world. Whereas the farther right you go, the more distilled things seem to appear, which is attractive if you wish to have a simple worldview. Analysis paralysis is a real thing, and when people get overwhelmed they tend to find comfort in simplicity.

... I also think the conservative operators understand this and use it to their advantage. I think they recognize the complexity of the world and opt to act as if they don't in order to gain followers. It is a strategy.

You might enjoy this.

A few key/spoiler points - Hoffman makes a case that a complete and accurate perception of reality is not what makes organisms fit for survival and evolution in the world. Instead, organisms that are tuned to and focus on "fitness pay-outs" or benefits/goals, even with a limited perception of an accurate reality, might be more fit for survival and evolution.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey. Shouldn’t Texas be outlawing that and requiring that citizens police each other? That sperm deserves a chance to do what sperm does.
----
Maybe the “pro-lifer” carries human exclusiveness further. Even if the embryo has no greater capacity than a pig embryo, it has the potential to become a human being with very much greater capacity than a pig. By aborting it, you are depriving a future human of a fulfilled life. Your abortion robs a would-be thinking, feeling, loving person of existence. What joys might she, or he, have experienced in a long and full life but for your callous act? Might you be killing a Beethoven?
That argument cuts closer to the bone. It is hard to resist speculating on what that incipient little life could have become. But now imagine the potential life you prevent every time you refrain from sexual intercourse. The “Road not taken” argument rapidly spirals out of control. All too soon we arrive at Michael Palin’s “Every sperm is sacred.” “It is your moral duty to have (unprotected) sex with me because of the potential human life you might be denying if you do not.”

-----

^Sharing only for Monty Python content. I however don't think there's any hope of convincing logical argument targeted for the opposition audience winning a compromise as the author implies. And I'd prefer unfettered acknowledgement of bodily autonomy, though I'd settle for pretty much exactly where we started...right to abortion until fetal viability, with exceptions always for life and health of the mother.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
----
Maybe the “pro-lifer” carries human exclusiveness further. Even if the embryo has no greater capacity than a pig embryo, it has the potential to become a human being with very much greater capacity than a pig. By aborting it, you are depriving a future human of a fulfilled life. Your abortion robs a would-be thinking, feeling, loving person of existence. What joys might she, or he, have experienced in a long and full life but for your callous act? Might you be killing a Beethoven?
That argument cuts closer to the bone. It is hard to resist speculating on what that incipient little life could have become. But now imagine the potential life you prevent every time you refrain from sexual intercourse. The “Road not taken” argument rapidly spirals out of control. All too soon we arrive at Michael Palin’s “Every sperm is sacred.” “It is your moral duty to have (unprotected) sex with me because of the potential human life you might be denying if you do not.”

-----

^Sharing only for Monty Python content. I however don't think there's any hope of convincing logical argument targeted for the opposition audience winning a compromise as the author implies. And I'd prefer unfettered acknowledgement of bodily autonomy, though I'd settle for pretty much exactly where we started...right to abortion until fetal viability, with exceptions always for life and health of the mother.
Not a sentient human being. No care.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Certain people in this country love the freedom to do things over the actual doing of things. They love the potential for a fertilized egg to become something great more than they love the breathing humans who already exist, unless you’ve already done something “great.” It’s all about arguing their interpretation of a dead author’s symbolic and translated text for the imagined benefit of an entity that is still developing.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
----
though I'd settle for pretty much exactly where we started...right to abortion until fetal viability,
Not a sentient human being. No care.
If you read what I wrote, I agree w you...was just sharing his illustration of an absurd argument via The Meaning of Life.
Fetal viability and Sentient human I think are very very different things Mike.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fetal viability and Sentient human I think are very very different things Mike.
Well aware. One of those things is something I would accept as a compromise to reality vs. having Gilead, against the rights I think my fellow humans with wombs should have.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
wtf

"The state legislature now asks abortion providers to send sheriff's offices reports of women who were impregnated by rape or incest and are trying to terminate the pregnancy."

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
----

-----

son we got over 7 billion people already. wait till you see how the people that are already alive start behaving once the climate wars hit in earnest.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wtf

"The state legislature now asks abortion providers to send sheriff's offices reports of women who were impregnated by rape or incest and are trying to terminate the pregnancy."
don't forget - the core constitutional right at the heart of roe v wade was the right to privacy

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I have no doubt. But when you vote for those who are not, you defacto are not.

There are many aspects of the Democratic platform that I do not support. But there are a few baseline issues that are so critical that I have to just accept it and vote accordingly because the Republicans staunchly against them - women's rights voting rights, etc.

8fe4e6069b922023.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So we're going to TX in 2-weeks for 5 days. Wifey found these tshirts and is going to buy some iteration for each of us for every day we're there. I told her I want pink. I love Wifey.

IMG_20220708_164244.png