Quantcast

RIP, Roe vs. Wade.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How does "over half the poulation now dealing with this bullshit" strike you?

I mostly fear that people will focus on the wrong shit. Like voting harder for the same useless instutional democrats that allowed this to happen just so they can fundraise. But if theres one thing that needs to get into skulls more than anything else: people need to get fuck over their love affair with cops. Cops will be the enforcement mechanism for this shit. Maybe something that finally affects suburban white women will get that through. You can harbor whatever violent fantasy you want but it will just be met 100 fold by cop violence. They defend capital, and the state. First and always. They are a barrier to progress. And they will kill you.

When mexico brought up the idea of restricting abortion rights last year people stormed the capital. The next day the govt took measures to codify rights in perpetuity. The difference? They dont have a police force authorized to just start mowing down protestors with whatever the fuck the toy du jour is for crowd dispersal.
abort the police

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hard to play both sides and come out clean. Just another sign of the upcoming end times for America.
If you were relying on patagonia to be a leader or even a belleweather, you were destined for disappointment ;)

Lots of good community based movements coming out of this. Help and progress will be on the ground, not in the brains of capitalist zillionaires or their govt lapdogs.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If you were relying on patagonia to be a leader or even a belleweather, you were destined for disappointment ;)

Lots of good community based movements coming out of this. Help and progress will be on the ground, not in the brains of capitalist zillionaires or their govt lapdogs.
It's the "If I can't have her nobody can have her" attitude that spoiled fucking idiots take when they don't get what they want. It's one thing to have grass roots organic growth and another to be actively sabotaged.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I haven't yet read the dissent, but took a few notes re-reading the majority opinion:

The opinion denies the inherent right to an abortion protected under the Constitution largely because it finds no historical thread supporting such a right.

This invalidates all the jurisprudence that has ever protected us from the mistakes of what Jefferson called our “barbarous ancestors,” like segregation, miscegeny, sodomy, etc. These repressive, odious laws HAVE what the majority calls “deep roots” in our society, and which definitely needed to be made illegitimate as society progressed towards greater freedom. It’s seriously ironic that “originalism” chips away at freedoms rather than expanding them…exactly what made some of the Founders uneasy concerning establishing a specific bill of rights. They were worried that only specifically enumerated rights would be held as protected. Now look where we are…

Odd that the people who prevaricated at their hearings now feel compelled to explicitly tell us that they definitely DON’T mean to chip away at the very rights their decision undermines through the fiction of originalism. The SCOTUS doth protest too much, methinks.

SCOTUS has re-interpreted the Constitution under modern conditions frequently and critically…for one simple example, without SCOTUS we would have no “reasonable expectation of privacy,” which expands the 4th Amendment way beyond what is specifically written…the critical case actually involved our right to be free of warrantless wiretapping, which was legal because the wiretaps weren’t placed within the context of person, papers, or homes as detailed in the 4th Amendment. Extending this amendment's scope via judicial decision was wise and appropriate and preserves our freedoms from government intrusion, and I doubt anyone would seriously try to peel that back. But if you apply “originalism” to it, well, hello universal technical surveillance...

Speaking of the 4th Amendment, it guarantees that our persons are free of unreasonable search and seizure. That’s enough, period, to support full bodily autonomy for everyone. The pro-forced-birth crowd would try and apply it to a fetus, but this is 100% about the womb-havers’ rights to their own bodies, and I don’t see how the 4th Amendment is not the focus of this discussion vice the 14th.

Just a few thoughts in a stream of consciousness.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we run our country based on 10 peoples' highly subjective readings of a document written when leeches were medicine and raping your slaves was high society

Theres a clear majority that wants safe legal abortion access. But its not being done. If ever there was a case for a constitutional amendment, this is it. Even most wierdos in the catholic cult want it. Relying on states for this is just as dumb as thinking the constitution is devinely inspired. Listening to crazy people with imaginary sky daddys is self destruction.

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well I guess I'm not super-stupid, though the dissenters say it much more official-like than I did:

And no one should be confident that this majority is done with its work. The right Roe and Casey recognized does not stand alone. To the contrary, the Court has linked it for decades to other settled freedoms involving bodily integrity, familial relationships, and procreation. Most obviously, the right to terminate a pregnancy arose straight out of the right to purchase and use contraception. See Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U. S. 479 (1965); Eisenstadt v. Baird, 405 U. S. 438 (1972). In turn, those rights led, more recently, to rights of same-sex intimacy and marriage. See Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U. S. 558 (2003); Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U. S. 644 (2015). They are all part of the same constitutional fabric, protecting autonomous decisionmaking over the most personal of life decisions. The majority (or to be more accurate, most of it) is eager to tell us today that nothing it does “cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.” Ante, at 66; cf. ante, at 3 (THOMAS, J., concurring) (advocating the overruling of Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell). But how could that be? The lone rationale for what the majority does today is that the right to elect an abortion is not “deeply rooted in history”: Not until Roe, the majority argues, did people think abortion fell within the Constitution’s guarantee of liberty. Ante, at 32. The same could be said, though, of most of the rights the majority claims it is not tampering with. The majority could write just as long an opinion showing, for example, that until the mid-20th century, “there was no support in American law for a constitutional right to obtain [contraceptives].” Ante, at 15. So one of two things must be true. Either the majority does not really believe in its own reasoning. Or if it does, all rights that have no history stretching back to the mid19th century are insecure. Either the mass of the majority’s opinion is hypocrisy, or additional constitutional rights are under threat. It is one or the other.

^they're right you know

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
^they're right you know
Yeah

Thats the problem. Our legal system is fucking moronic. It just led to a case for balkanization. Because originalism or some other stupid religious shit. And 50 years of something pretty much everyone wants hung on an interpretation of an ancient scroll.

Im stockin up on condoms to mail to mississippi. After the first month imma start filling them with feces for the cops that will be intercepting them.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well I guess I'm not super-stupid, though the dissenters say it much more official-like than I did:

And no one should be confident that this majority is done with its work. The right Roe and Casey recognized does not stand alone. To the contrary, the Court has linked it for decades to other settled freedoms involving bodily integrity, familial relationships, and procreation. Most obviously, the right to terminate a pregnancy arose straight out of the right to purchase and use contraception. See Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U. S. 479 (1965); Eisenstadt v. Baird, 405 U. S. 438 (1972). In turn, those rights led, more recently, to rights of same-sex intimacy and marriage. See Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U. S. 558 (2003); Obergefell v. Hodges, 576 U. S. 644 (2015). They are all part of the same constitutional fabric, protecting autonomous decisionmaking over the most personal of life decisions. The majority (or to be more accurate, most of it) is eager to tell us today that nothing it does “cast doubt on precedents that do not concern abortion.” Ante, at 66; cf. ante, at 3 (THOMAS, J., concurring) (advocating the overruling of Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell). But how could that be? The lone rationale for what the majority does today is that the right to elect an abortion is not “deeply rooted in history”: Not until Roe, the majority argues, did people think abortion fell within the Constitution’s guarantee of liberty. Ante, at 32. The same could be said, though, of most of the rights the majority claims it is not tampering with. The majority could write just as long an opinion showing, for example, that until the mid-20th century, “there was no support in American law for a constitutional right to obtain [contraceptives].” Ante, at 15. So one of two things must be true. Either the majority does not really believe in its own reasoning. Or if it does, all rights that have no history stretching back to the mid19th century are insecure. Either the mass of the majority’s opinion is hypocrisy, or additional constitutional rights are under threat. It is one or the other.

^they're right you know

If the explicitly declared desire to overturn further cases happen then we will have de-facto free and unfree states when it comes to the rights of a majority of the population. That didn't exactly have a clean resolution last time and there will be no easily drawn geographical lines.

If the court is so hell bent on tradition make the fuckers wear wigs and get rid of the air their conditioning and central heating. DC is pleasant no times of the year.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Said the quiet part out loud?

plagiarist

sayin it outloud now....

www.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1540852015693037568

tits

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
To be fair I am 100% sure that was her intended statement, but sometimes the underlying truth just won't be repressed.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You're overestimating her intelligence.

White/right. I mean, either way, she said exactly what she really meant. I just don't think she intended to say it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just think she's dumb enough to not realize she should care until after people pointed it out :rofl:

She's not even smart enough to realize there are better examples for teaching youth than the third reich.

If she meant to say right to life, she should would have stumbled more and/or corrected herself. I mean we do have actual full fledged white nationalists all up in this joint. Politicians too.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Still waiting for the line... What is the line that will push people over the edge? You have a small* population that wants to fight and are picking the fight. You have a much, much larger population that does not and is avoiding it. But everyone has a threshold. That point where consequences of actions do not outweigh the lack of action. It's one thing to be violent for hate; it's another to violently respond when it's a counter response to survival. And if history shows us anything, once that seal breaks, the response is overwhelming and violent.
When even Wifey, who is the most pacifist person you could meet is dropping references to violence, that threshold line has to be getting close for the mass populace...
show her this

and this
either a bean bag or more likely a 40mm rubber slug at point blank range

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada